G5220 and G5222 Fretboard Wood?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by MarkLo, Oct 23, 2021.

1. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Beautiful ES-335TD!

Interesting about the bees wax paste. I would've never thought of that! I guess everyone finds something that works!

Yeah, I think too much of any oil can potentially cause the frets to losen.
    But I think it would be continuous over applications of oil, where excess oil is not removed.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  2. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

For example, as described in the quoted post 1DF0EF82-05D0-4E16-B3C5-CF3C4555508A.jpeg

MarkLo, new6659 and section2 like this.
  3. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Very nice!

I can't tell from your pic, did you put in a roller bridge?

4. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Or you can get a plate with a long screw that replaces the stock strap button screw...
    https://townerusa.com/products/bigsby-b3-kit-with-towner-down-tension-bar-and-hinge-plate-adaptor

[​IMG]

MarkLo likes this.
  5. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

No, it’s the stock bridge. A lo-rider Serpentune from Tru-Arc is on the list, as is a Duane Eddy handle for the Bigsby.

Bigsby B3, Towner tension bar, squishy spring

6. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Tele, thanks for the response!

I didn't order the actual Bigsby B3C yet; will get this next month or December.

I ordered the Brix SS Spring, but had a question on the Towner Down Tension Bar. Under the description, they have a statement highlighted in red that says: "*If you do not have a Gibson guitar get the METRIC studs." Did you order these Metric studs with the TDTB, or did you just use the stock ones already on your 5220?

(1) TOWNER Down Tension Bar – TOWNER Guitar Parts (townerusa.com)

Thank you again! This forum is a great resource for Gretsch Newbies like me!:D

7. guitarzan50

guitarzan50 Electromatic

Feb 21, 2017
    Indiana
    I'm not Tele, but you will have to order the metric studs. The Towner Bar will not work with the stock studs.

8. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Thank you! Just thought I would double check. I didn't remember anyone who Installed the TDTB mentioning this.

Thanks again!

9. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    I was going to ask you, did your B3C hinge/plate line up properly with the Strap Button, so as to provide a good fit of the Bigsby to the guitar, or did you have to move the strap button hole to make it work? Would it be possible to see a pic of the bottom of your guitar where the plate screws into your guitar? Yours looks great, but I was just curious if you had to do any customizations?

Your insights are appreciated!

Tele295 likes this.
  10. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

So here was the deal. Everything lined up just fine. However, the stock strap pin was a tad too short for the thick Bigsby plate, and the pin knob kept losing its bite. Now I’m one of those weirdos that likes the vintage style Gretsch strap pin. But I was not gonna try to source out a longer pin, I wanted to play my guitar, man! So, I took one of the screws from the mounting plate and I stuck a normal strap pin through that hole.

yeah, ghetto gretsch, I don’t care ;)

11. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

4908F031-4F70-4BF0-8505-35028FD7C8C6.jpeg See whut I mean, Vern?

capnhiho and MarkLo like this.
  12. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Thank you for getting back with me, and thank you for the photo!

Yeah, I was wondering if the thickness of the plate would keep the strap button from being able to screw on enough to get a solid connection. You answered my question and concern! BTW, does Gretsch, or any other manufacturer make a longer strap button/pin?

I think your adaptation/custom work looks just fine and looks solid! I'm learning that Bigsby's are nasty little devices that must be coaxed into compliance!

I appreciate your patience in answering many of my Bigsby questions! I think I'm beginning to way overthink this!o_O:D

Thanks again for the information...very helpful indeed!

Tele295 likes this.
  13. guitarzan50

guitarzan50 Electromatic

Feb 21, 2017
    Indiana
    Just a note. Towner makes a hinge plate adapter kit for a Bigsby B3. The only downside is it is for the regular B3 not the V version. The plus side is you don't have to drill holes in your guitar to mount the Bigsby.

MarkLo likes this.
  14. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Yes, this is the route I'm going to take. I ordered my B3, and the Hinge Plate Adaptor Kit. Do you know anyone else who used this method, and how it's worked for them?

15. guitarzan50

guitarzan50 Electromatic

Feb 21, 2017
    Indiana
    Don't know of anyone else, only my experience. It worked well on my Gretsch Pro Jet. The only thing you can't use the screw in strap lock. You will have to purchase a regular strap button.

MarkLo likes this.
  16. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Yes, I purchased a strap button to accommodate the plate. I'm assuming the 2' screw that comes with the hinge plate adaptor will be long enough and strong enough to support the B3. Did you need to reinforce that screw in any way?

17. guitarzan50

guitarzan50 Electromatic

Feb 21, 2017
    Indiana
    The 2 inch screw is long enough. Didn't have to reinforce in any way.

MarkLo likes this.
  18. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Thank you for the getting back with me!

Just waiting on the B3 and the Hinge Plate Adaptor Kit to arrive in a few days, then I'll be ready to install! Can't wait!

guitarzan50 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.