G5220 and G5222 Fretboard Wood?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by MarkLo, Oct 23, 2021.

1. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    While I don't have my guitar in my possession yet, Sweetwater was kind enough to send me the pics of my guitar. Here are a few:

CYG21021382-body-xlarge.jpg CYG21021382-front-xlarge.jpg CYG21021382-backbody-xlarge.jpg
    CYG21021382-angle-xlarge.jpg CYG21021382-back-xlarge.jpg CYG21021382-serial-xlarge.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  2. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    I ordered a pickguard from Quick Guards to replace the stock one. It's white pearloid:

Gretsch5220WhitePearloid.jpg

hcsterg, new6659 and section2 like this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Congrats! You're going to enjoy that Jet. They're so much fun to play.

Don't be intimidated about adding a B3. It's a simple job if you're handy with a drill. Just follow the instructions carefully, line it up, drill pilot holes in the heel, screw it in, and you're done. Of course, you can always take it to a pro if you'd feel more comfortable having them handle it.

Are you thinking of a B3 or a B3C? They're equally good, but the B3C looks cooler. Either way, I'd suggest adding a Brick's Super Squishy Spring and a Towner Down Tension Bar.

Looking forward to seeing pics when it arrives!

Tele295 and hcsterg like this.
  4. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Yes, I'm totally jazzed about getting my 5220! I developed a major case of GAS when a friend who i work with got a new G5420T! I'm sure this will not be my last Gretsch!

Yeah, I agree about the Bigsby not being too difficult of a mod, as long as I carefully follow directions and take my time. I'll probably have someone more experienced install new pots and pickups, if I decide to change those in the future. I've heard good things about the Broad'Trons, and want to give them a fair shake before replacing them.

Yes, my preference is the B3C! As you say, it does indeed look "cooler!" Thank you for the advice about adding the Bricks SSS, and the Towner Down Tension Bar. I will add both of these with the B3C.

I will absolutely post some pics when I receive it! It should be arriving Friday!

Thanks for your kind words and advice!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    section2 likes this.
  5. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Sure it won't be your last Gretsch, @MarkLo ! The next will be the G5420T... :D

I installed a Bigsby B3LH on my G5220LH because I wanted her to be a "wannabee jet" :

[​IMG]

As you can see, I did not use a Towner Bar, because I did not want it for the look.

But this implies reworking / shaping the B3 chassis,in order to achieve the suitable 7-8° string break angle behind the bridge, because the 4-5° isn't correct : loss of sustain, buzzing, string popping...

[​IMG]

If you don't mind using a Towner Bar, as stated by @section2 , don't hesitate : you will avoid that somewhat delicate re-shaping and adjustment of the B3 chassis, and your string break angle will be correct. :cool:

If like me, you want to avoid the Towner Bar, it's nonetheless perfectly doable :) - if you have the right tools and some required fitter talents, that said... o_O

Another point you may consider if you want to swap pickups with a good look : the bezels of the Broad'Trons have a larger PU window than the regular FilterTron bezels BUT they have the exact same external dimensions and screw holes placement.

Below, under plastic protection are the Broad'Trons, the other being a BT FilterTron, which have the standard FilterTron casing size :

[​IMG]

A+!

new6659 and section2 like this.
  6. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    Thank you, now I'll get into an argument with my gf.

Awesome guitar

MarkLo likes this.
  7. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Ah, OK : I did not understood what the abbreviation GF meant - I see now... :rolleyes:

Good Luck ! Ca va bien s'passer ! ;):D

A+!

MarkLo, section2 and WingZero like this.
  8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    That's a fine looking G5220 you have coming. Nice choice for a first Gretsch. Enjoy!

MarkLo likes this.
  9. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    ML,

I can't speak for the G5220, but the G5222 is laurel.

Laurel is not an endangered species, not subject to border restrictions as are some exotic species, and with a small tin of wood stain of your choice, can be tinted to look like what ever species you want it to look like.

My G5222 is the one on the left.

Best,

BIB

DSCF1319.JPG

Paulie26 and MarkLo like this.
  10. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Thank you so much for the great pics and explanation of some of the mods you performed to achieve your most excellent Custom Jet!

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the B3 and Towner Down Tension Bar and the Brick's Super Squishy spring. If I had the tools and the skills, I would attempt to do what you did on your B3! Yours really looks nice!

I think I'm going to keep the Broad'Trons in for a while and try and make a fair judgement on their sound. If the BT BT's are not quite what I'm looing for, I may put in some Black Top Filter'Tron's. As you indicated, the stock bezels on the 5220's have a larger window to accommodate the larger size of the BT PU. Just in case I do decide to switch the PU's out for some Filter'Trons, I ordered the smaller (window size) bezels from Adorama.

Ha Ha! Yes indeed, I absolutely see a G5420T in my future! I'm really digging the Aspen Green color!

Thanks again sir!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    hcsterg likes this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If you're adding a B3 anyway note that there are 2 styles, one with V-cut (my preference - I think they are called B3C) and one without.

MarkLo likes this.
  12. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Thank you! I'm really excited to get it! It will be arriving on Friday! Not sure why I waited this long to get a Gretsch.

13. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Yes, the B3C is the one I plan on installing! I love the V-cut style on this also! I think these run about $170.00.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  14. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    Thank you for the clarification on the fingerboard. I really like the look of Laurel! I guess we'll be seeing more and more of that species as fretboards in the future!

BTW, I love the mods you did to your G5222! It looks amazing! Malcolm would be pleased! :D

Back in Black likes this.
  15. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    Lemon oil is fine and I have use it for decades. The problem was, I always soaked the fretboard with it. That was a mistake; I have heard that it can cause problems with the frets loosening up although I never had that happened. But that would not be unique to lemon oil, any oil could do the same. Recently I have been using an oil I think from some boutique guitar products company and I only use a few drops for the entire fretboard and I find that it is much better than soaking the board in oil. I'll probably never go back to lemon oil, but I'm not saying it is not good. An upside of lemon oil is that it is inexpensive.

MarkLo likes this.
  16. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    For my venerable 1980 ES-335TD, I used for years (oh, OK : once per year at the most !) antique furniture Bees wax paste (fully natural, no color, no silicon...) applied after torough cleaning of the frets and fret board.

[​IMG]

I didn't knew the availability of Lemon oil... :oops::rolleyes:

At the time, an old luthier now retired told me that it was indeed a good idea, which is confirmed by my Luthier pals (amateurs and pros). So I continue... One of my Luthier friend uses turpentine as first treatment of the bare fretboard on all the guitars he builts.

For my other instruments, I use sparingly Lemon oil (now !) or the natural Bees wax paste (when I do a complete cleaning of the guitar).

I never heard that Lemon oil could loosen the frets with time, but now I will be suspicious and take care...;)

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

MarkLo and new6659 like this.
  17. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    And you will certainly find that the Broad'Trons are indeed good sounding pickups, like I did : powerful and bright tone.

I temporarily replaced the B'Trons by DC SHT (Dual Coil Super HiloTron) because I found they had a more suitable tone for Soul, Funk styles : less output, more single-coil like tone.

A+!

MarkLo and section2 like this.
  18. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    Probably going against the grain here, but comparing the BT B'trons with BT F'trons, I prefer the stock B'trons.
    But that's just me!

19. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes, the B'Trons are more powerful and brighter than the BT FT to my ears.

A+!

MarkLo likes this.
  20. MarkLo

MarkLo Electromatic

Oct 15, 2021
    Northern Utah
    I agree with you. Whatever oil one uses to treat the fretboard, the secret is to use it sparingly. A little really does go a long way. And as you correctly noted, overapplication of any oil to the fretboard can cause the frets to losen.

While "Fret Doctor" is supposed to be a proprietary blend, I believe it's just a bore oil and vegetable oil blend. It's worked well, but I think I'm going to try some lemon oil on my 5220. If I don't like it, I can always go back to FD, or something else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.