G3161 Historic Series pick guard hunt

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
re the idea of using a 3156 guard as a template for the 3161 ... might just work! Pickup notches obviously different, materials and finish different, but overall shape pretty close!

I made a real effort here to maintain the proportions of the original pics - not to stretch or squeeze anything in Photoshop. Should be reasonably accurate.

Anyway, draw your own conclusions. I was just curious myself about how close the two were. Turns out they're pretty darn close! LoL!

Pickguard Comparison.jpg

Mr Twangy

Gretschie
Dec 27, 2020
Canada
I just bought a used G3161 for $499 at my local Guitar Center. Played/sounded great and seemed to be a decent deal. It's in beautiful condition, but it's missing the original pick guard. It's a unique profile, not quite the standard Electromatic shape. I've looked online for an original replacement, but so far no luck. Any recommendations... ?
Quick Guards. They can definitely make you one.

Spokane Henry

Electromatic
May 24, 2022
Spokane, WA
re the idea of using a 3156 guard as a template for the 3161 ... might just work! Pickup notches obviously different, materials and finish different, but overall shape pretty close!

I made a real effort here to maintain the proportions of the original pics - not to stretch or squeeze anything in Photoshop. Should be reasonably accurate.

Anyway, draw your own conclusions. I was just curious myself about how close the two were. Turns out they're pretty darn close! LoL!

View attachment 181512
This is very cool, Highroller. I kind of suspected as much, but this helps take the guesswork out. : )
Update: since @Shock generously offered to send me a pattern based on his 3156, I've connected with @larryr who has very generously offered to send me a spare 3161 pickguard he has kicking around for the cost of shipping. I've been here just two days, and GT forum members seem to be some of the nicest people on the internet. Hope I can return the kindness somewhere down the road!

Spokane Henry

Electromatic
May 24, 2022
Spokane, WA
I have TV Jones Supertron neck and Magnatron bridge. Popular opinion suggests the opposite but it sounds so good I did not want to mess with it.
I may end up following your lead. I'll start with the neck pickup and possibly move to the bridge next. I don't use my bridge pickup all that much so it's not a priority... although I'll probably get around to upgrading that at some point, too. You really made my day... week... with that pick guard. I was having a heckuva time finding one!