G3161 Historic Series pick guard hunt

Spokane Henry

Electromatic
May 24, 2022
Spokane, WA
I just bought a used G3161 for $499 at my local Guitar Center. Played/sounded great and seemed to be a decent deal. It's in beautiful condition, but it's missing the original pick guard. It's a unique profile, not quite the standard Electromatic shape. I've looked online for an original replacement, but so far no luck. Any recommendations... ?

Attachments

• IMG_8835.jpg
    IMG_8835.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 32

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island
I have used Mike at Quickguards for a "custom" guard (actually a replacement for older guitar that I couldn't find a match for in the ready made market) I just did a search there for G3161 and no results... but you can email him and ask. With a drawing or file (cad type drawing) he can make whatever you need. Just Be prepared to wait, currently a 2 month wait posted on his site.

Good luck!

Shock

Gretschie
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
I just so happen to have a 3156. IDK if they are the same. The pickguard is off it and in my hand. Let me talk to a guy. I could see if he can replicate it. I am guessing he can. Because he is one of those guys that does this kind of stuff. Also that L bracket.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
I just bought a used G3161 for $499 at my local Guitar Center. Played/sounded great and seemed to be a decent deal. It's in beautiful condition, but it's missing the original pick guard. It's a unique profile, not quite the standard Electromatic shape. I've looked online for an original replacement, but so far no luck. Any recommendations... ?
Check ANGELA, they have most of the popular PG's listed.

BIB

Scott Fraser

Country Gent
Jan 14, 2012
Los Angeles
I just so happen to have a 3156. IDK if they are the same. The pickguard is off it and in my hand. Let me talk to a guy. I could see if he can replicate it. I am guessing he can. Because he is one of those guys that does this kind of stuff. Also that L bracket.
Not really the same shape. The 3161 is cut for Gretschbuckers, is triple bound (I think, I'm not in the same continent as mine right now,) & has some different curves. I usually take my pick guards off, but the 3161 is the one guitar I have which I feel looks better with its pick guard.

Spokane Henry

Electromatic
May 24, 2022
Spokane, WA
Hey Shock,
Looking at the 3156, I’m pretty sure it’s the exact same design around the Gretschbuckers. . Awfully nice of you to offer to help. Let me know how I can help you help me… haha. Much appreciated!

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Great guitar! I wish I never let mine go, but it went to a friend who did me a BIG favor and I was honor bound to reward him. It's unusual feature is the longer scale length - 25.5" (Falcon scale).

Shock

Gretschie
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Hey Shock,
Looking at the 3156, I’m pretty sure it’s the exact same design around the Gretschbuckers. . Awfully nice of you to offer to help. Let me know how I can help you help me… haha. Much appreciated!

The hole through the pickguard where the bracket attaches looks like a different location. And like Scott points out, it is has the white center in the lamination. It may need different sized cut aways for the pickups. But looks to be relatively the same.

It would be easiest for me to just use mine for a template and send it to you. I am friends with DaVinci Custom Guitars. I am pretty sure he could whip one out. I'll talk to him tonight and get back to you. That may be an option.

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Here's a pic of my old 3161 if it helps. I changed the Gretschbuckers to TV Jones Classic/Classic+ and the pickguard still fitted nicely. I also added a Bigsby B6C. Another pic shows how well the B6C mounting bracket fits if you decide to add one. I no longer have this guitar so I can't take measurements for you, sorry! G3161 008.jpg 3161 bigsby b6c 005.jpg

Shock

Gretschie
Sep 7, 2020
Minnesota
Hey Shock,
He doesn't have the time. But he says that if you have a PDF you could have it laser cut. But he said I could trace mine and send it to you, and that is all you would need for someone to make you one. LMK

Spokane Henry

Electromatic
May 24, 2022
Spokane, WA
Not really the same shape. The 3161 is cut for Gretschbuckers, is triple bound (I think, I'm not in the same continent as mine right now,) & has some different curves. I usually take my pick guards off, but the 3161 is the one guitar I have which I feel looks better with its pick guard.
Hi Scott
Judging from the photos I can find of the 3156 compared to 3161, I believe it should be a match - or very close. If Shock can send me an impression of his, I should be able to make a pattern from it and tweak if needed. Thanks for the input, though... will keep in mind that the match may not be exact.

Spokane Henry

Electromatic
May 24, 2022
Spokane, WA
Here's a pic of my old 3161 if it helps. I changed the Gretschbuckers to TV Jones Classic/Classic+ and the pickguard still fitted nicely. I also added a Bigsby B6C. Another pic shows how well the B6C mounting bracket fits if you decide to add one. I no longer have this guitar so I can't take measurements for you, sorry! View attachment 181495 View attachment 181496
Oh, very nice - thanks for the tip about the Bigsby mount. How would you characterize the difference between the stock Gretschbuckers and the TV Jones? I personally like a somewhat dark sound, so the stock pickups sound pretty good to me, but I'd be interested in your take.

Spokane Henry

Electromatic
May 24, 2022
Spokane, WA
The hole through the pickguard where the bracket attaches looks like a different location. And like Scott points out, it is has the white center in the lamination. It may need different sized cut aways for the pickups. But looks to be relatively the same.

It would be easiest for me to just use mine for a template and send it to you. I am friends with DaVinci Custom Guitars. I am pretty sure he could whip one out. I'll talk to him tonight and get back to you. That may be an option.
That would be super helpful, thanks man. And thinks for noting the possible mounting hole discrepancy, I'll keep an eye on that. I was just looking at the contours, which seem to match up.

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Oh, very nice - thanks for the tip about the Bigsby mount. How would you characterize the difference between the stock Gretschbuckers and the TV Jones? I personally like a somewhat dark sound, so the stock pickups sound pretty good to me, but I'd be interested in your take.
To be totally honest I really don't like the Gretschbucker sound. I love TV Jones pickups and the Classic/Classic+ combo really did it for this guitar. After the upgrades it came really close in quality to my 6120-1959LTV. I actually preferred the longer scale on my 3161. If you like the darker sound then my suggestion to you would be TV Jones Powertrons could be more appropriate. The Compton Titanium Tone Chamber bridge really made a difference to tone and sustain too.

Last edited:

Spokane Henry

Electromatic
May 24, 2022
Spokane, WA
To be totally honest I really don't like the Gretschbucker sound. I love TV Jones pickups and the Classic/Classic+ combo really did it for this guitar. After the upgrades it came really close in quality to my 6120-1959LTV. I actually preferred the longer scale on my 3161. If you like the darker sound then my suggestion to you would be TV Jones Powertrons could be more appropriate. The Compton Titanium Tone Chamber bridge really mad a difference to tone and sustain too.
Wow, OK thanks... this is useful info. I may live with the Gretschbucker sound for a while (just bought my 3161 last night), but I suspect I may end up with trying the Powertrons... because a man's got to have a hobby. ; )

Lacking Talent

Country Gent
Aug 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

PM forum member @larryr, I recall he may once have had one for sale here or on the other Gretsch board (which as of today is still offline). Good luck in your search!

Last edited: