G2655T-P90 Streamliner Center Block Jr. Double-Cut P90 or Humbucker for Soul, R&B, Jazz

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by SavoirFaire, Sep 18, 2021.

1. SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire Newbie

Sep 18, 2021
    Canada
    First post here, I'm hoping that you guys can give me some guidance. I'm in my first year of playing guitar and looking for a second guitar to complement my Squier CV 60's strat or even be my number 1. I practice mostly sitting and the strat is not the most comfortable for that. Ended up going to a guitar store today to try out some tele's, new Epiphone es-335 and 339. Didn't fall in love with any of them until I came across the Gretsch G2655T P90, it felt amazing, looked amazing and sounded good (some kid was doing slash solo's so I could barely hear my clean tone in the shop). This is my first time trying a Gretsch and was very pleasantly surprised. What's the consensus on these? Is there anything I should look out for? I'm mainly interested in clean tones for soul, jazz and r&b guitar, what would be a better fit, P90's or Humbuckers?

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The P90 Streamliners are amazing guitars, even without regard to price. (I was ogling one today in a guitar magazine.) The staple P90s should work for many genres. If it felt great to you and sounded good, grab it!

Welcome to G-T. Many Canucks here.

Randy99CL likes this.
  3. epimetheus81

epimetheus81 Electromatic

Mar 2, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I second that advice. If the Streamliner feels comfortable and you likethe sound, it'll work for what you want to play. Guitarists in those genres are across the board with their instruments. I'm in a similar boat and playing on an SG and a double cut electromatic hollow. It's fantastic.

Make sure the tuners are stable, the pots are solid, and the neck is straight...you'll be good to go!

Randy99CL and drmilktruck like this.
  4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I didn't know much about P-90s until I bought a Gretsch that has them. I love them, they are fantastic! May be the most versatile pickups; great clean but also can get growly and dirty for Blues and R&R when you want it.
    Recently I've noticed a lot of videos where players state the P-90 is their favorite pickup of all.

All the Streamliners are great guitars and fantastic for the money. I own two G2622s, one with BT-2S HBs and the other with P-90s. They both sound and play great and I would recommend you play both pickups to decide which you like.
    I don't play the styles of music you do and the clean tones of the HBs may be more of exactly what you want but you'll have to try them to be sure.

epimetheus81 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.