G2655 incoming, NGD

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by navigate40, Jul 18, 2020.

1. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Hello!

New here. I have a few acoustics and electrics. 3 tele's and an LP. Have been interested in a Gretsch for some time, but, really unsure of what to get. Had thought about a semi-hollow, to round things out. But, the 5220 caught my eye as being an improved LP, and chambered.

Then, wandering through a shop, I picked up the G2655, jr, and that was it. I love the size, light weight, and the fact that it is semi hollow. And....I got a ridiculous deal online (the store I was in did not have one in Village Amber).

I am getting this for two reasons: I always wanted a Gretsch, and I want an electric that I can use at some open mics. I mostly play an acoustic, but, sometimes, I really want to play an electric. SO...wanted a guitar that is inexpensive (won't cry if someone bangs into it), light (for my back and shoulders) and different. Something in between the HB's of an LP and the single coils of a tele. Smaller size, similar to a 339 or LP is great for maneuvering around tables to get to the stage.

I think the 2655 will fit the bill, nicely.

A couple questions:

People often say that the Electromatics are a step up (even though they are MIC), but, I did not see any that were the jr size. Is that correct? One of the great things about the 2655 is it size.

The broadtrons seem pretty good. Probably keepers, since I will be playing through a POD into some crappy house PA system. But, if I wanted to replace them...are they simply humbucker size and so, I would get a HB sized whatever (including TV jones)??

If I were to replace them, I know TV Jones, but, which GFS one would you get, for playing clean, classic rock rhythm, solo?

Finally, in terms of build quality, having no experience with Gretsch, it seems to me that the [new] electromatics and streamliners are built in the same factory in China, pretty much the same way and the build quality of the actual guitar body itself is pretty equivalent. Is that the case?

I like to mod guitars, so, would likely upgrade the tuners, knobs and maybe even the pups.

Thanks
    John

Merc likes this.
  2. Footsore

Footsore Electromatic

Nov 29, 2019
    Australia
    Congratulations on the new guitar and welcome to the forum! I've got a G5320t and love it but think you have one better because the B50 bigsby on mine is not great. Can't comment on the difference in quality compared with Streamlined but will find out soon when my new G2622 arrives.

3. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Welcome and congrats !
    The 2655 and 2622 are made in Indonesia. Broadtrons are nice humbuckers but not the traditional Gretsch sound, hence a lot of people mod them. They are standard sized buckers so options are a plenty.
    The build quality is real nice on my 2655.
    Also, iirc, 2655 is not available in Village Amber.
    I recently got a 2655T, it stays in tune good but yes the spring on that is a tough one.

Enjoy your new guitar...

4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Welcome to the forum. The Electromatic’s are made in China, and Streamliners are now made in Indonesia. The below pictures might help you decide if you change to TV Jones for pickups.

F0E8D4CA-ED98-4032-9B14-F3AD23530716.png F4320297-1B7B-4259-89D7-223C6567666C.jpeg

5. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats and welcome to Gretschville!

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend . A fine guitar you've chosen . Mods ??? How about strap locks and a jack plate ;)

bhatta likes this.
  8. navigate40

navigate40 Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    FL
    Thank you! Greatly appreciate the welcome and the advice.

I will have to see what I want to mod, after I play out with it a couple times.

Probably going to be my #1 for playing out because of the size, ergonomics and sound. Would like to have that "Gretsch" sound, but, something in between a HB and SC would fit in the arsenal. .

I understand that the pups are HB sized, so any replacement will be an HB size. Simple enough. I have a set of Duncan Phat Cat P90's, but, will likely want to keep to that Gretsch tone.

If they fit in between HB's and SC's, the Broadtron's may work well. Sound clips sound good. If anything, maybe change the neck pup and keep the bridge.

TV jones classics? GFS Liverpool?

Thanks

[by the way...could see this being an introduction to the brand and a stepping stone to something like a full hollow...5420]

GlenP likes this.
  9. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your guitar choice. Will be awaiting pictures.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.