g2655 buying advice

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by SerenityD, Apr 25, 2021.

1. SerenityD

SerenityD Newbie

Apr 25, 2021
    New Zealand
    Hi everybody! New here and looking for advice. So for about 15 years now I've played an Epi LP Special II. Looking to upgrade and I'm fairly certain about a g2655 (dead set against a Bigsby and I can't handle a non-JR size!).

I'm torn on Broad'tron vs P90 model though. I find my LP too muddy on neck and too "cuts my head off" on bridge, so I play 100% in middle position. Looking for something with good clarity on the lows, and smoother highs. Tonally, looking for a 90s punk revival/melodic punk/post punk kinda sound. Hot Water Music, Starflyer 59, and (tonally) the National kinda sums up what I listen to.

I know the "right" answer is to go try both but...neither are available in my country and I would have to order from the US to get one. So.

I've watched a lot of videos (Andertons especially) on both of those models. I love the look of the P90 model (though 15 years on humbuckers, I wonder if I'll deal with the noise!!!) I know there's a lot of similar questions but I thought I'd put it in my words with an idea of what I'm looking for just to see if anyone can help!

Thanks in advance!

audept, BorderRadio and Davis Sharp like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum @SerenityD and best with your decision . Don't worry , someone will be along with some sound advice soon .... ( no pun intended )

SerenityD likes this.
  3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome to Gretsch-Talk, good to have you here @SerenityD.
    I don't have any experience with the G2655 but those that do will be along shortly to help you out.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey welcome @SerenityD !

I was just about to post something similar, asking about the model. The one I’m interested in is the new Sahara Metallic one with Bigsby. I don’t like Jr.s is the issue, but I love this color, and I love two-tones. Not wanting to hijack your thread but I’ll be watching closely.

8519E217-F1E8-4C59-8603-BED562480B2D.jpeg

5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  6. SerenityD

SerenityD Newbie

Apr 25, 2021
    New Zealand
    Fair enough :) For me, the Bigsby is something I'd literally never use, so I don't want to spend an extra $100 plus have to string around it when I don't need it. Pretty sure I'd be wanting Gunmetal for the Broad'tron version or Claret Burst for the P90 version!

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I get it. I’d get the stop tail version too, if they had this color. Then I could use a Bigsby B3 and Towner bar. The B5 is gonna go either way, B3 or B7 for sure.

These are not typical P90s by the way, supposed to be a little brighter or edgier? Not sure yet. There is that sale still at GC that another member posted. $399 for the BT version, but only two colors. Not sure if you see that savings over yonder..

8. PreciousFew68

PreciousFew68 Electromatic

Feb 11, 2020
    United Kingdom
    I have this streamliner. Originally with stock Broadtrons, but they were not to my taste. Muddy to my ears. Had the guitar fitted with P90's and the controls modified to One volume and one tone, keeping the 3 way switching. Brighter sounding to me. Here's a before and after. Great guitars by the way.

Attached Files:

9. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    As I understand it, the P90's are wired to opposite polarity, so if you keep the switch in the middle, as is your wont, they will act as a very large humbucker and cancel out the single coil associated noise. Personally can't stand the look of soapbar P90's regardless of how they sound, so I won't be exchanging the stock Broad'Trons on my 2655 for standard P90's, though I might do these sometime in the future:
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/Surf-90-BlackChrome_p_24550.html

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.