G2420t or G5420t?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Footsore, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Footsore

Footsore Electromatic

Nov 29, 2019
    Australia
    I've been looking at getting another Gretsch and these two have my interest. Looks like they are nearly the same but the 2420t has a NATO neck and the 5420t has maple neck. The 5420t is a lot dearer. Being on a pension I'm wondering is it worth spending the extra? Will the 5420t play any better and is the quality that much better?
    I just play at home but appreciate a nice guitar. I just bought a G2622 and really like it so am leaning towards the cheaper Streamliner.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    BorderRadio and pmac11 like this.
  2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Try them both, take home the one you like more. If it's the 2420T, great....you save a few hundred. If it's the 5420T, you may regret not spending the extra.

Footsore likes this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    huge difference for me, the 5420 is made in Korea with build quality not as good as a proline, but darn close. The Streamliner is made in Indonesia. Another good guitar but it sits below the Korean made Gretschs in build quality.

All three are good guitars.

Play both

capnhiho and Footsore like this.
  4. Cdb1961

Cdb1961 Electromatic

May 5, 2018
    Orange Park, Fl
    I struggled over the same questions a couple years ago... I found small flaws on the Streamliner but none on the Electromatic. Tonally the 5420 sounded better, felt better but the cheaper price Streamliner kept pulling me back.

It was my wife who pointed out the fact I always gravitated for years to the white 5420. “Why are you even looking at that one”? Enough said!

For the few dollars in difference, follow your heart!

I LOVE MINE and my wife too!

sgarnett and Footsore like this.
  5. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I have a 2420 and a 6120. I enjoy both. the 2420 is no 6120, but it is well made. There are a few cheaper components that are easily replaced.

The most obvious difference between the 2420 and 5420 (besides the neck inlay pattern) is the pickups. That too is easy to change, and the Streamliner pickups aren’t bad pickups; they just sound closer to Gibson.

The most important difference may be the bracing. The 2420 has simple parallel bar bracing without a sound post. This gives it a louder, more lively acoustic voice (though not a flattop voice), and I personally like it! I often play it unplugged. However, if you like to play with higher gain, it feeds back very easily.

The 5420 will be more feedback resistant. It won’t be as loud unplugged as the 2420, but it will still be a lot louder than a solid body (and probably your 2622).

I still play both my 2420 and 6120.

6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Obviously, both are great guitars.
    You have to play them, feel the necks, feel them vibrate in your arms, plug them in and hear the pickups with your style of music.

After getting my first G2622 I got really lucky and found a used G5129T for about what I paid for the other. That's what I'd do, look for a used G5xxxT and get more for your money.

Footsore and johnny g like this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I own a G2420, G5420T, and a G6120...

All great guitars. The proline is flawless and should be. The Electro is close but every single Electro I demoed or owned had paint flaws around the neck and binding. I demoed several 2420s to make my decision. The binding QC was even worse. I selected the SL with the fattest neck and darkest fretboard. Luckily it had the cleanest binding as well.

That's the main pro for me with the SL: fat necks (sometimes). Also note that G2420Ts don't have a sound post. It makes them louder acoustically but more prone to feedback.

The G5420T has the Gretsch-ier pickups, better build quality, electronics, and slightly thinner neck. Also, Electros have bigger frets. My SL has thin, skinny vintage style frets.

Given the want for a inexpensive Gretsch, the SL is hard to beat. I don't know if you plan on buying new, but I'd rather get a used Electro for the same price or close to a new SL.

Footsore and TubeLife like this.
  8. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    I tried to make the same decision in the guitar shop between a 5420 and 2420. I couldn't really afford the 5420 and couldn't make the final decision at the time. I couldn't see much difference in build quality between the two I was looking at. A week later I found a mint used 2420 for £216. These streamliners are fantastic guitars for the price if you look around for a good deal. I play mine a lot unplugged and it's ideal.

Footsore likes this.
  9. Footsore

Footsore Electromatic

Nov 29, 2019
    Australia
    There's not many second hand Gretsch guitars I've seen in Australia especially in the sticks where I live. So whatever I get will be new. The shops that sell online have the odd bargain though if you're lucky.

ALS57 likes this.
  10. TW4990

TW4990 Gretschie

Aug 20, 2016
    Sydney Australia
    There is no losing with your choices here.
    You will get a great guitar either way.

11. EssEll

EssEll Gretschie

Oct 11, 2019
    Seattle area
    I sure am totally happy with my stock 5422. Good luck -- you'll enjoy whichever you choose!

12. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Had a similar decision recently ... I went with the G5420T because it felt and sounded more similar to my Pro Line Duo Jet - which is what I wanted.

That said, if I’d wanted something more similar to a Gibson I would not have felt hard done by taking the G2420 home.

There are no wrong answers - only more Gretsches ...

ALS57 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.