G2420 with buzz and rattles fixed... now even better...

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Stingray70, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Stingray70

Stingray70 Electromatic

Oct 18, 2021
    Michigan
    I'm pretty new to this board so if this topic has already been covered numerous times please forgive a newbie... Otherwise, I thought I would share this so it might help others who might be experiencing the same problem.

After I had my new G2420 Streamliner for a week or so I noticed some buzzes and rattles that suddenly seemed to pop up and appeared to be getting worse. I adjusted the truss rod and that seemed to help a little but didn't solve the problem. It was hard to tell for certain but the remaining buzz seemed to be coming from the pickup/ bridge area. I noticed that the bridge was the type with the wire retainer for the saddle screws.

I'm always a little suspicious of this type of bridge when rattles are involved so I started to look for a replacement to swap with the original. This way I figured I could see if the buzz/rattle stopped or seemed to change in any way with the new bridge and I'd also have a spare bridge to experiment on.

What I wound up finding was a "like new" bridge off of a G5420T cheap so I thought I'd give it a try. This bridge had the same adjuster screw hole diameter and spacing, but was wider than the skinny stock bridge which allowed for more intonation adjustment if needed, it was noticeably heavier and best of all didn't use a wire to retain the saddle screws. This bridge dropped right onto my original floating bridge base. BINGO !!! Not only was the buzz and rattle completely gone but the resonance, tone and clarity all noticeably improved, both when unplugged and plugged in... If I remember correctly, I didn't even need to adjust the bridge height, only the intonation slightly. It was like my Streamliner suddenly got bumped up a notch or two on the Gretsch ladder. If I get another Gretsch that uses the small, wire retainer type bridge I'll swap it right from the start.

Hope this is helpful and informative to other Streamliner owners...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    David_GS, ALS57, mrfixitmi and 8 others like this.
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Glad to hear that you got it fixed, now go play your fine Gretsch.

Stingray70 likes this.
  3. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

Yep, lots of us replace the rattlematic Tom bridges for something quieter. Glad you found where the rattle was coming from and were able to fix it. Rock on!

Stingray70 and mrfixitmi like this.
  4. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    @Gregor I agree, I tend to keep several sizes of Gretsch Rocking Bar bridges or Compton Bridges on hand to verify the source of the rattle. This is a lot faster than applying clear nail polish to each blade, waiting for it to dry, an seeing if the noise goes away.

@Stingray70 Thanks for sharing your valuable experience with us.

Gregor and Stingray70 like this.
  5. Stingray70

Stingray70 Electromatic

Oct 18, 2021
    Michigan
    @mrfixitmi Yeah, me too, I also tend to keep a couple bridges of various types on hand and have a growing collection of "take off" bridges, stop tail pieces and hardware, mostly from various import LP and 335 type guitars. Besides getting rid of rattles and buzz, sometimes swapping out this hardware can have a huge effect on tone as was the case on my Gretsch and other times it isn't even noticeable. But you never know until you try.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    @Stingray70,

You are so correct, a small change can make a large difference.

Thanks for sharing.

7. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Good to hear. I can recommend a zero fret nut on the 2420. I also fitted a UK made "dbridge" which transformed the sound, a big difference. Not sure if Dave's still making them though

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.