G100CE Pickup replacement

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Double Daddy, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Double Daddy

Double Daddy Newbie

Jul 24, 2018
    Georgia USA
    I bought used a G100CE a year or so ago. I like the way it plays, and it certainly has the right look for the vintage jazz schtick I'm into. But sometimes there is an objectionable buzz I think that is caused by the floating pickup lightly contacting the laminated top. I just ordered a Kent Armstrong "Slimbucker" that I hope will solve the buzzing, because the thinner profile will prevent any contact with the top. We'll see, though, if the KA tone will work, in comparison to the stock Gretsch "single-coil" pickup.

Offhand, it looks like all I'll have to do is unscrew the stock PUP from the neck, then de-solder the wire lead. I'll resolder the same lead to the new Slimbucker, then attach it to the end of the fingerboard with wood screws. I won't even have to mess with the stock pickguard-mounted tone and volume pots.

Does that sound about right? I'll appreciate any advice or insights about swapping out and replacing the stock pickup.

2. I dont know. I am not allowed to solder here. But it sounds like yo have a plan. Wonder how the pickups will differ in sound. Fwiw, vibrations and such drive me nuts, especially when i cant figure out where they come from.

3. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    @Double Daddy : I installed a KA pickup on my 2008 G100 Synchromatic :

[​IMG]

It's a Custom / DIY Lefty-Ized one. The original was Right-Handed and single coil, with a really poor and un-jazzy tone.

I contacted Kent Armstrong who can offer custom rewinding. I sent the pickup to Mr Armstrong Sr in USA and he encapsulated a flat jazz humbucker KA pickup in lieu of the ceramic single coil one.

According to his recommendations, I used a B500K (LIN) for the Volume and a A250K (LOG) for the Tone, with a 22nF Tone cap.

It cost me circa 150USD send and return postage (USA-France) included, AFAIR.

And now I have a Lefty "Monkey-on-a-Stick" Jazzy-Killer Tone pickup, which can be installed both on my G100 and G400... :cool::cool::cool:

All this to say that you will probably not be disappointed by the little KA "SlimBucker" Jazz pickup you ordered ! ;)

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Double Daddy and new6659 like this.
  4. Double Daddy

Double Daddy Newbie

Jul 24, 2018
    Georgia USA
    I received the Slimbucker after its four week odyssey through the COVID-affected postal system.

The neck-mounting bracket on the replacement Kent Armstrong Slimbucker is about 5mm wider than bracket of the stock Gretsch “single coil” [that looks like a humbucker] . Although some advise careful bending of the bracket with pliers, I avoided that risk of breakage by creating shims out of some scrap rosewood I had on hand.
    C85315F6-B328-48BA-9708-08BEFEFC5F08.jpeg 772D4D00-0C2D-4940-AC2A-A3DB68F6B5CB.jpeg
    The result is wonderful. I have a nice, clear, natural wood sound when plugged into my rig for the vintage jazz material I play.

new6659 and hcsterg like this.
  5. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Way to improvise. Glad it came out on the good side.

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Fine, @Double Daddy ! :cool:

So what about the tone of the KA versus the original Gretsch Jazz mini-HB, then ? :)

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.