Fx pedals

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Rik Marelli, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Rik Marelli

Rik Marelli Electromatic

May 20, 2021
    Devon
    Who plays their Streamliner straight into the amp with no fx pedals???
    My g2622 sounds great with just a bit of amp reverb into my Princeton.....

MrWookiee, new6659 and Jerzey Bob like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I usually plug my guitars directly into my amp head without any pedals. Sometimes a wah perhaps and sometimes a delay in the loop. But most of the time not even amp reverb, since my amps do not have any.

It was a big step from refrigerator-sized multi-channel midi-rack to this setup but it was absolutely liberating. Short signal-chain means less failiure, more reliability and more pure tone. ...And most of the sound engineers love it, too. Nowadays I do not spend money for a lot of devices to improve on a mediocre basic tone. I invest in a vrey good guitar, nice cables, a high-end amp and speaker cab.

There are so many options in your hands and in the guitar`s volume pot.
    You will not believe it until you discovered it yourself.
    Now I find little things like the value of the capacitor in my volume-bleed on the guitar to be very relevant.

Going back to such a stripped-down setup makes everything so much more expressive. Less options=less to worry about.

MrWookiee, new6659, gtttrrr and 2 others like this.
  3. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Gretschie

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    yup, 2622T, sounds killer straight into my Bassbreaker 45 combo, clean, or nasty growl, bedroom or stadium. (haven't played a stadium w/ it, yet... :D)

Rik Marelli likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'm a straight wire kinda guy myself. All I really need/want is reverb.
    My AC15 makes enough cool sounds on it's own.

ALS57, gtttrrr and Jerzey Bob like this.
  5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    reverb is an effect! too late :)

Shadowy_Man, Merc and gtttrrr like this.
  6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Nothing but a bit of reverb.

7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I'm always a fan of direct plugin. But one thing I've also learned is that pedals are great if you use them right. Amps do well with a good strong input signal. While I do like to plug in direct, I really like using my Atomic Brain preamp and a delay. And with that, overdrive and compression are good additions.

Merc likes this.
  8. Wildwood609

Wildwood609 Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Earth
    +1 !
    I have an AC15C1 that I plug straight into for "upstairs playing", and a AC15HW1X downstairs that gets all my pedals.
    Both sound fantastic though, especially with my Sreamliner.

wabash slim likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I have a G3140 Historic. The DeArmond 2000s and a Vox amp make magic happen.

Wildwood609 likes this.
  10. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Electromatic

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
    I have about 12 pedals. I don't usually play through an amp, so I need pedals for EQ, OD, reverb, and tremolo at minimum. If I were playing through a DR in a big, empty house or whatever, I could just play like that 95 % of the time, w/no pedals. The other 5 % of the time I need to do an ambient and/or psychedelic freakout in stereo and I'll need pedals for that.

11. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I've never played my guitar with others - it's all been paying dues in the woodshed so far - but the idea having FX pedals scares me. It's bad enough that I'm already GASing for a Supro or Vox after only a couple of weeks with the Fender Champion (not that I don't love the Champ). Trying hard to limit myself to just the gateway drugs...

12. Wildwood609

Wildwood609 Electromatic

Oct 12, 2018
    Earth
    GAS is a helluva thing. We all suffer at some point, but it provides a great journey! :D haha.

Which Supro are you looking at?
    I had the new Delta King 12 for half of day before it got returned.
    That thing was noisy and everything else, maybe because it was the first iteration and brand new?

Which Vox?
    I do love my Vox handwired. That amp is 100%worth the money.

I will say that the AC15C1 is not the same as the AC15 Handwired though - they are completely different animals.
    I've been playing around on this Vox AC10 Limited Edition at Guitar Center that has grabbed my attention. It's got a different creamback speaker and sounds pretty damn good. I'm just not sure about having a Top Boost only amp....

13. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I really liked the Delta King 10 I tried at GC, except that I couldn't make it break up, no matter what I tried with the controls on both the amp and guitar. Very likely a defective user issue.
    Haven't tried a Vox yet but I'm GASing to do so. Blues Kings seem to be relatively inexpensive on Reverb, too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.