Fuzz Ray and Boss TU3 Tuner's Buffer?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Pine Apple Slim, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    I'm putting a new semi-permanent pedal board together and trying to preplan the layout for maximum available space practically speaking. I would appreciate some guidance from
    @TV the Wired Turtle or anyone else who has experimented with the Fuzz Ray.
    I know its a rule of thumb that most fuzzes should be 1st in the chain, but the top jacks on the Fuzz Ray kinda present a problem unless I mount it sideways. I'd prefer to place it vertical for more board space but that puts the input jack pointing towards the rear of the board which doesn't seem optimal. It would be nice to put the tuner first due to its side mounted input jack.
    So, how sensitive is the Fuzz Ray to the Boss tuner's buffer for optimal performance? Can I plan on putting it after the tuner with a vertical orientation, or must it go before the tuner's buffer?
    Another solution would be to put my other fuzz with a side jack in front of the Fuzz Ray and before the tuner. Its a mini pedal, not radically different than the Fuzz Ray but a little different flavor. I like it so I wouldn't mind having it on the board. Its a one knob Colorsound clone and is true bypass. Would that be preferable to the tuner in the 1st position?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    All boss pedals have an active line buffer thats pushing a high presence boost.. this affects your other pedals response. You will find boosters, and preamps responding with a more bright signal after a boss pedal, than before it. youre ears are you guide, as well as your guitar.. are you playing a meat slicer strato-plinker or a lovely bouncy twangy gretsch, even a nice thick p90 slab hammer?

Merc likes this.
  3. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Thanks for responding Tavo. The Fuzz Ray doesn't need any help, its plenty bright and loud on its own, lol.
    I guess I'll keep it at the front of the chain. I'm pretty much used to the sound of everything else after the Boss tuner.
    I'm usually playing either my White Falcon or a Pro Jet with T Armonds.
    Once in a blue moon, a Tele, but the Pro Jet has pretty much supplanted it since I put in the Dynas.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    That circuit is meant to have a cutting top end, there is a trimmer inside that you can dial back some of the "Raunch".. I personally just keep the tone filter engaged and dialed all the way back
    to like 8. I can nail that Dan Aubach Black Keys tone w my gretsch. I do though like it stinging crispy w my Dipinto los jackets guitar w Blondeshell reverb dimed

Pine Apple Slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.