Fuzz and the pickups that love them help?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by BoogieSith, Jun 23, 2020.

1. BoogieSith

BoogieSith Electromatic

Jul 29, 2019
    Austin
    Hello, I apologize if this was discussed, I search and search and couldn't find an answer. So I have a Ibanez AS-80 spare that I want to use for both Jazz and Fuzz (creamy to Hellish). My other AS-80 is awesome stocked and when I use Fuzz the air literally comes out of the F holes and heats up my arm; it's wonderful! So for my spare I want something else. I have a pair of TV Jones in my Hollow Gretsch and fuzz doesn't work; it feedbacks etc...
    So I was wondering a few things:

1. Do TV Jones Classic (or combo) work well with Fuzz in a not full Hallow Body? Fuzz is from creamy to hellish.
    2. Anyone tried the Seth Lovers for SD for Fuzz
    3. Anyone tried the SD Psyclones, they are humbucker sized, so I was wondering if they sound like TV Jones. (I've learn from experience humbucker size P90's do not really sound like true P90's). how do they react to fuzz.
    4. Anyone has a combo that is a half Filte'trons and have regular humbucker that works?

Thanks.

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Filters love fuzz so just go ahead, man.

Waxhead likes this.
  3. BoogieSith

BoogieSith Electromatic

Jul 29, 2019
    Austin
    Okay, how about those Psyclones? I cant find any reviews and a small amount of video. They are the same price.

4. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I don’t have a problem with my 5120 loaded with TVJ Classic/Classic+ into a Nocturne Fuzz Ray. Maybe you need to adjust the eq on your pedal or amp to combat the feedback?

5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    put the back of your amp against the wall or a couch if you use a combo, this will help. Get Fhole blockers if you are a loud fuzz and overdrive guy :) ..and yes T-armonds are freakin killer w fuzz but if you are talking about Distortion (older boomer dudes tend to call distortion pedals "fuzz pedals"..not their fault, it was back then) then powertrons are excellent w heavy overdrive and distortion. I'm enjoying a classic neck and classic+ bridge right now in my hotrod through my fractal FM3 blowing my head apart with Red and Orange Channel Dual Recto modes :)

6. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    I have a set of SD Psyclones, although they are Filtertron sized, not humbucker sized. Great filtertron style pickups in my opinion, and they sound good with fuzz in my opinion.

7. BoogieSith

BoogieSith Electromatic

Jul 29, 2019
    Austin
    Thank you everyone for all the advice. Take care

8. BoogieSith

BoogieSith Electromatic

Jul 29, 2019
    Austin
    I wanted to put a sock or something in my Gretsch when I hit the fuzz, but I really like how the F-holes just explode with air. Not sure of that is a good thing or not but hell I love it. The feedback sucks

9. BoogieSith

BoogieSith Electromatic

Jul 29, 2019
    Austin
    Really, i just got a email from SD and they said they where humbucker size. So the ones you had did you have to any special mounting? or did they just fit in?

10. BoogieSith

BoogieSith Electromatic

Jul 29, 2019
    Austin

11. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Sometimes, you can obtain F hole fillers (custom foam rubber, It changes the tone maybe 3to5% but feed back, both good and bad, is a much more manageable situation.

12. BoogieSith

BoogieSith Electromatic

Jul 29, 2019
    Austin
    Huh interesting, I'll look into it. do you know if the air blast is normal or is that bad? Sometimes I wonder if I'm going to crack the wood or mess up the electronics. but hot damn it feels good and make its seem my guitar is alive.

13. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    I would expect that lower spectrum vibrations (bigger, wider) probably have an appreciable effect on any weaker aspects of the structure- glue etc. To tell the truth, thus far, I've had no problems, nor have I heard of any sudden disintegration moments related to feedback. Don't let me discourage you from trying.

Henry likes this.
  14. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

If your guitar died from the air blast (!) at least it would have died happy after fulfilling it's true mission in the universe;)

Henry likes this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Maybe attach some streamers for the full effect.
    [​IMG]

Runamok, Henry and new6659 like this.
  16. BoogieSith

BoogieSith Electromatic

Jul 29, 2019
    Austin
    Thanks

17. BoogieSith

BoogieSith Electromatic

Jul 29, 2019
    Austin
    hahahahaaha you know what that would be fricking awesome, I can see myself onstage with that ****. or the doom metals fans will love it

Ricochet likes this.
  18. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    They should just fit in place of HS or TV Jones Filtertrons, but for me they were replacing BlackTop Filtertrons in a 5420 so a bit of work was needed to mount them. Same as if replacing BTs with any real filtertrons though.

19. BoogieSith

BoogieSith Electromatic

Jul 29, 2019
    Austin
    okay thank you

20. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    If the Psyclones are humbucker-sized (and I think they are), they are a little wider than HS or TVJ Filter’trons (from neck side to bridge side). Also, the HS uses traditional Filtertron mounting I believe. BT mounting is like a humbucker but with 3 screws. TVJs may be traditional, universal, or even humbucker sized.

Psyclones will only “just fit” on Streamliners with Broad’trons and maybe older Electromatics with Gretschbuckers (not sure about those).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.