Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Fret job? Partial fret job?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Bruno, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Bruno

Bruno Gretschie

Dec 1, 2015
    North Jersey
    I have a Fusion Blues FB400 Villager, bound fretboard, that's in need of a fret job and I'm debating with myself as to whether I'll have the fret work done or just sell it to someone who is capable of fret replacement. What's the going rate for such a repair these days? Would it be practical, as an alternative, to replace only the frets that are in need of replacement? Thanks!

Bruno

2. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Here in SC, I asked my luthier about re-fretting my Guild Starfire. He said $250, but fortunately it only needed a fret dress and leveling. What is the guitar worth? More importantly, what is the guitar worth to you?

Best of luck Bruno

Bruno likes this.
  3. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Looking around it seems that $300-$500 is an average. Usually it's not good just to replace the really worn ones as you'll have to level them down to the next level of worn out before they are usable.

Bruno likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Full fret job only, don't bother with a partial. And a new nut- if the frets are that worn, the nut likely is too. I made that mistake (did not have the nut replaced), and had to do it myself, later.

Bruno and Mal Belford like this.
  6. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    I suggest full fret job.....

It will bring new life to the guitar.

As its not only frets that will be channged...the fretboard will get some treatment to, it will get leveled at the ssme time and as one allready pointed out a new nut too....

It will be a new guitar after that.

Bruno likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    As already said: Usually you do not necssarily have to replace the frets. Levelling them and checking whether you like the result could be a cheap alternative. I paid about 50 EUR last time and the frets were nicely dressed and polished. I liked it although I usuallyprefer relatively high frets.

Bruno likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It seems pointless to do a partial fret job. You'll just wind up having to do a full one down the line. Do it right the first time---some of the best advice I ever got.

audept and Mal Belford like this.