Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Wanted **FOUND** Seeking Nocturne Ubangi Stomp or Sleeper Drive **FOUND**

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell or Trade Negotiations' started by Srellim1, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Seeking to buy Nocturne Ubangi Stomp or Sleeper Drive.
    Would purchase directly from Tavo, but these fellas are not currently in production!
    Please direct message or leave notification here.

Thanks!

2. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Both very difficult to find for sale.

Srellim1 likes this.
  3. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    get me 1o guys on here that actually want one and will put their money where their mouth is and I will move forward on it.. I never really sold that many to begin w so thats why there arent that many around :) Maybe 200 or so units max. I have wanted to bring them back but the cat I contracted w to populate boards went on the drunk, and I stopped production because I cant build all this stuff by myself.

Srellim1 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Synchromatic

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    whats the price on the Ubangi? if you did do a run. also could you explain exactly what it is. honestly probably dont have the coin right now because the amp comes first, but might be interested whenever you do decide to do a special run if it falls after i get my amp.

Srellim1 likes this.
  6. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The Ubangi is magic. I put a dull. boring guitar sound played by a hack into the input side and I get a great aggressive interesting guitar sound played by a hack from the output. Now if I could only fix the hack..........

loudnlousy and Srellim1 like this.
  7. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    What would the current pricing/turnaround time (ish) be? I'm seriously in.

8. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    From what I know it's basically a boutique rat box only built better and whatever tavo did to make it better. From a user standpoint it's a whole different type of overdrive because you can use it with the gain down low and it sounds great not cheap so it will go from just giving color to your sound to a big overdrive. I use it for blues. Here is the demo I just did with the mystery brain and the Ubangi stomp the way I use them for blues

paddycarroll, dankas11 and Pdnlegs like this.
  9. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.

These are two demos I did with the sleeper and the Ubangi from a while ago

Henry and Srellim1 like this.
  10. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Boy, I know it...

11. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I had an old rat laying around and wasnt interested in it for hair farmer music but liked the way it responded when I have the volume cranked and the gain set really low, kinda reminded me of straycats early sound in europe when setzer had to play though a borrowed EH stereo memory man that was clipping from his gretsch filtertrons

and blonde amp head "ala Ubangi Stomp".
    ..... but for me while it had potential it was still clanky n thin, w fizzle. So I got rid of the fizzle, smoothed the clank and fattened the thin.. Then I started going through the audio path of the circuit and mixing, matching components to get the best sound of the instrument. Had a guy from Sony Records tell me it was the best sounding rat pedal he'd ever heard in the studio, and he was a strat guy.
    At the time I was staying true to my then niche, rockabilly but personally the sound of the Ubangi w my tele and strat was just phenom for country and blues. Probably why Nick likes it, he doesnt play rockabilly or Stray Cats euro 80s at all haha :)
    Anyway, there are dozens of Rat clones, this one was repurposed for lower gain settings based on the earliest white label, and I went even earlier by using the pre LM308 chip w the NOS RCA style UA308 metal can opamp.
    [​IMG]

loudnlousy and nickurso like this.
  12. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I like to wear my Ubangi Stomp T-shirt in Asia. For some reason the shrunken head with the sewn-together lips really freaks them out.

13. LA Miles

LA Miles Synchromatic

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Heck, I've had strange looks wearing my Ubangi Stomp T-shirt in Canada - must be a universal reaction. I won't be ordering a pedal tho.

14. joe007

joe007 Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2013
    ny
    I have both. And I'm willing to sell them but I have no idea what to charge for them. They're both mint.
    I don't use them because I've moved away from rock/rockabilly and mostly play Chet type stuff.

Srellim1 likes this.
  15. h2odog

h2odog Electromatic

Feb 26, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    I'm one of the fortunate owners and I highly recommend getting on Tavo's list. It's by far my favorite drive pedal. I'd be tempted to buy a second one but I'm saving for a Mystery Brain. :)

Srellim1 likes this.
  16. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    If he does start a list, I am definitely on it!
    Are you refering to the Sleeper or to the Ubangi?

h2odog likes this.
  17. h2odog

h2odog Electromatic

Feb 26, 2017
    Oregon, USA
    Sorry. The Ubangi.

Srellim1 likes this.
  18. nickurso

nickurso Friend of Fred

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I'd like to get a second one myself as a back up

Srellim1 and h2odog like this.
  19. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Me too!

nickurso and Srellim1 like this.
  20. HotRodDan

HotRodDan Gretschie

Dec 22, 2015
    NYC
    I'll buy a ubangi if you start making them again.

nickurso and Srellim1 like this.
  21. dankas11

dankas11 Synchromatic

Jul 6, 2014
    Croatia
    ubangi is a must have! I believe it wont be hard to find 10 people. Ubangi+brain for me is win combo!

Srellim1 likes this.