For those interested in Science & Cosmology

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
Great news that the new James Webb Telescope has now been successfully deployed and is cruising to its L2 orbit location 1.5 million kms from Earth

James Webb is a game changer and huge advance on the Hubble Telescope.

If the positioning of James Webb into its L2 orbit is succesful in 6 months time we'll be getting high quality images of the universe as it was 3.5 billion years in the past.

This will provide crucial evidence of the universe's evolution in the period immediately following the big bang as well as potential existence of alien life forms in distant solar systems, black holes and wide range of other natural phenomena.

Exciting times that can be followed on the James Webb site here

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

Summary of James Webb deployment below

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

GVDobler

Synchromatic
May 15, 2011
Las Vegas
We probably won't see any images until after June of this year. I studied under a professor that helped design the "contact lenses" for Hubble. (It had a problem early on in that it couldn't focus or something and they needed to fix it.)

I went to college in my early fifties and took astronomy as my science. We are going to see back to almost the beginning of time if all goes well. Should be very interesting.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
“Fascinating”

giphy.gif

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
Very interesting video . I'm certain all will go well . Please keep us updated in 6 months

Will do but can I prod your interest more now with 2 more videos on Webb and its science goals :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
Progress on James Webb deployment and potential proving of Hawking's "Dark Matter Theory"

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
Great news that the new James Webb Telescope has now been successfully deployed and is cruising to its L2 orbit location 1.5 million kms from Earth

James Webb is a game changer and huge advance on the Hubble Telescope.

If the positioning of James Webb into its L2 orbit is succesful in 6 months time we'll be getting high quality images of the universe as it was 3.5 billion years in the past.

This will provide crucial evidence of the universe's evolution in the period immediately following the big bang as well as potential existence of alien life forms in distant solar systems, black holes and wide range of other natural phenomena.

Exciting times that can be followed on the James Webb site here

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/

Summary of James Webb deployment below

Awaiting this awesomeness with baited breath. Outstanding accomplishment! Science!

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Home
@Waxhead Truly amazing

My simple mind does not understand how they can throw in the “are we alone in universe?” Question if using the infrared bands of light will allow the scientists to see the universe billions of years ago……..Because, what life could have developed that quickly, and if it did we may still be alone because the odds are it went out of existence long ago.

My next door neighbor is an Astrophysicist and a professor at the University a couple blocks from us. I guess I should ask him at the next neighborhood get together. :rolleyes:

…..Maybe I should just stick to music. :eek:

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
@Waxhead Truly amazing

My simple mind does not understand how they can throw in the “are we alone in universe?” Question if using the infrared bands of light will allow the scientists to see the universe billions of years ago……..Because, what life could have developed that quickly, and if it did we may still be alone because the odds are it went out of existence long ago.

My next door neighbor is an Astrophysicist and a professor at the University a couple blocks from us. I guess I should ask him at the next neighborhood get together. :rolleyes:

oh, there’s life out there,,, we aren’t that special..

“Our own galaxy, the Milky Way was, until 1920, believed to be the only galaxy in the Universe. It is so big that it would take 200,000 years traveling at the speed of light to go from one end to the other. There are hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy alone. Its size is intimidating but the size of the Universe is overwhelming and humbling, and there are an estimated two trillion galaxies in it.

https://screenrant.com/what-will-james-webb-telescope-do-see-galaxy/

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
@Waxhead Truly amazing

or....... you could read these great books.
Science explained for layman and both are fascinating reading.
They will answer all your questions and much much more :)

You could then ask your astrophysicist buddy some difficult questions :confused:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Universe-Nothing-Lawrence-M-Krauss/dp/1471112683/ref=sr_1_1?crid=19XWNGHZTE9L6&keywords=a+universe+from+nothing+lawrence+m+krauss&qid=1643078155&sprefix=a+universe+from+nothing,aps,249&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07X57Z3BQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gtttrrr

Country Gent
Dec 7, 2011
United States
or....... you could read these great books.
Science explained for layman and both are fascinating reading.
They will answer all your questions and much much more :)

You could then ask your astrophysicist buddy some difficult questions :confused:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Universe-Nothing-Lawrence-M-Krauss/dp/1471112683/ref=sr_1_1?crid=19XWNGHZTE9L6&keywords=a+universe+from+nothing+lawrence+m+krauss&qid=1643078155&sprefix=a+universe+from+nothing,aps,249&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07X57Z3BQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Gonna look those up…
I would add all of Carl Sagan’s work “The Demon Haunted World” ranks up there as one of my all time Faves.