For the Strat Player.......Blocked or Decked Trem?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Gretschmen65, Aug 7, 2020.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Say cheeeese!
    [​IMG]

2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    If it's about tone, that's one thing. But removing the trem just makes tuning more problematic.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  3. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Yes, it does take some getting used to - only having to tune one string without it affecting all the other five strings. ;)

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I like the tone of a floating trem. It sounds more lively to me. If I was playing out I’d probably deck it though.

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do not gig but I have played with some other guys and we just tuned out guitars to one of the picky guys who always says his guitar is in perfect tune because he can hear it, yea right, and run from there. Never had an issue with tuning after the sync up. Is it common for people playing out to have tuning issues? I don't experience that on my own. I tune I'm good for a while some time days or more.

6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I rarely have tuning problems. If I’m bending a lot, the 2nd and 3rd strings will occasionally go flat, but most of my guitars stay in tune quite well.

Any floating trem’ guitar will go a bit sharp if a string breaks. The balance between the springs and the strings changes and that’s all there is too it. The Floyd Rose trems were masterpieces of engineering, but brought with them a price in complexity and the requirement of having an Allen wrench around.

I always use to deck my Strats, but 15 years of life with Bigsbys has changed that. Should I ever own another Strat, the trem’ will be free floating and if I break a string during a song, the audience will just have to suffer. :)

IMO, it has become an answer in search of a problem. Setting up a Strat is pretty easy, once you’ve done it a couple of times and you can adjust the springs easily, in a matter of a minute or two. Adjust the springs, set the string height, adjust the intonation and you’re ready to go.

7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    If I was to play out, the audience would definitely suffer, broken string or not!

8. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Has anyone used the Schaller sure claw? I'm developing a distaste for the two-screw stamped steel claw.

[​IMG]

9. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    In my younger days, I blocked all my Strat trems... because Eric Clapton did it that way, and I wanted to be Eric Clapton, of course.

My more recent Strats (i.e., those I've owned in the past 15-20 years) have floated instead, because I grew to love the Bigsbys on my Gretsches, and wanted the same effect on my Strats.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  10. LJOHNS

LJOHNS Electromatic

Dec 7, 2019
    WV
    I had mine set up decked. I really like the tone and it stays in time very well.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.