Flatwounds for hollowbodies? tell me more!

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by bone, Aug 12, 2020.

flats on hollows or no?

1. hell yeah!

73.7%
  2. what?

26.3%
  1. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    longtime lurker and coveter of Gretsch guitars and the forum.

just grabbed an orange stain G5422t off of the Verb and it will be arriving Monday.. with flatwounds! kind of excited about that feature as I've never played flats on a guitar before. I've played plenty of flatwound bass before but this is a first for me. The gent i grabbed it off of iterated he prefers hollows with them. Is this a norm in the Gretsch world? amongst hollowbody enthusiasts? this will be my first hollowbody besides acoustics also..

give me your preference and why if you would! and why on hollows in particular?

looking forward to rapping with you Country Gentleman! and those not so country :D AND those not so gentleman..

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Welcome and congrats on the G5422.

I re-experimented with flats again, just to return to my usual, pure nickel, round core roundwounds. So nah for me.

[​IMG]

johnny g likes this.
  3. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    to tell the truth, it'll be hard to break away from my boomers.. love the bite and crispy jangle... but i am excited and intrigued!

4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Welcome and congrats.

Some folks love the flats. I'm not one of them. It's whatever makes you grin and play.

D'Addario XL user for years. Tried a few others, and come back to the XL's.

Scott and capnhiho like this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s a matter of preference. I use flats on 3 of my 4 Gretsch and love the sound. I use Thomastiks, which are long lived and sound pretty focused. I also use them on my Telecaster, which gives the bottom three a nice authority while the top three are as twangy as ever.

6. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    thank you gents for chiming in!

the only thing that makes me apprehensive is he (and the web) noted that they are "dead" right out of the box_ which i take as not as bright. A little off the spectrum won't bother me at all but a neck pup with the tone knob squelched all the time I'm not gonna dig. My mains are a Jazzmaster and 2 teles - a deluxe (hums) and garden variety so i like my twang and bite. I'm a Jazzmaster player who actually LIKES the rhythm switch quite a bit but full-time? nah.. not to mention I've had my number of years playing and my hearing is a little muted at the high end. So hopefully, they are more midrangey..

rockinstephen likes this.
  7. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    the other thing I've read and he mentioned is that they are unyielding bendwise_ If they aren't my thing will i have to break out the Allen wrench? The flats are 10's and i like 10's but with the extra tension will i need a new set up? 11's maybe?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  8. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    nice name btw G5422T what color did YOU grab? what's the ins and outs you've experienced with yours so far?

G5422T likes this.
  9. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    you use the Thomastiks or flats on your teles? a little more throatiness on my single coil tele would be neat to check out

10. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I’ve just recently switched to flats on my Falcon & are loving them. I swapped the wound G for a plain G so I can still bend..
    I highly recommend these! 362DA416-6274-4102-AB91-AFF9D8EF2A53.jpeg

Bertotti, bone and ZackyDog like this.
  11. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    doing the research, I've read that several times about the G-string (along with many a joke about lubing the nut to loosen the g-string because of the Bigsby) and flats so why don't they make a pack with a nude G?

and, Synchro i get it now.. The Thomastiks ARE the flats:rolleyes: Thanks Trash

Trash Kidd likes this.
  12. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Electromatic

Aug 12, 2020
    France
    I’ve been using flats exclusively on all my guitars for several years and won’t go back.
    To me « dead » is not so much they lack brightness, but they have less overtones, which in return give them a more focus tone around the fundamental. Remember the top E and B strings are still unwound, so you keep the shimmer on top.
    Flats have a bit less sustain too, giving them some kind of dry and percussive sound, which I love.
    I like the smooth feel too, ans the fact their tone stays consistent after months of use.
    But with dirt they can sound a bit muddy.

NJDevil, LA Miles, petem1966 and 9 others like this.
  13. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Thanks. Mine's a Snowcrest White from the first batch in 2012.

Haven't done anything really special to it other than add a bar bridge.

Newer models have had some small updates over the years. Mine has the floating bridge and the big metal (Baldwin style) pup surrounds. Newer models IIRC, have a pinned bridge, modern Gretsch plastic surrounds, and multi layered binding.

Great feeling neck and a nice player. You should like yours.

14. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Flatwounds sound great! But if you want to bend the strings.... well.... SUCKS TO BE YOU!

15. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I've been flatwound user for more than a decade now. To me they sound right and rounds (when I play them) sound metallic and janky by comparison. Weirdly enough rounds sound just fine in the various gear demos I listen to, where someone else is playing. I think it's just about what you're ear is "tuned" to hear, especially when it's in person as opposed to through a video.

I like the thumpiness of the attack and the strong fundamental tone. It seems like the tone is less "messy" with flats than with rounds.

16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A fair proportion of early Surf was played on flats. I love that sound and use it as a basis for most of what I do. My Tele is setup as a hard-core Rocker and it has flats on the bottom three.

Contrary to some of the opinions expressed, the Thomastik flats I use are pretty decent at being bent, as well. Obviously, no wound string will handle a whole step bend the same way a plain string will, but for the quarter and half-tone bends I tend to do on the lower three, they are just fine.

Dave Murray and Shadowy_Man like this.
  17. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    the pinned bridge is there main reason i went with post-2016 Electro.. not saying that i don't like or want to try the floaters but being my first Grestch, first hollowbody and first Bigsby i wanted to keep the learning curve to a minimum.. like most music junkies who try something they like I'm fairly sure I'll have to get another fix:rolleyes: as for the neck, I'm going to save my rambling about that for another post that you will see tonight I'm sure_ thanks for chiming in mate!

there may be trouble in paradise.. I'm an unabashed serial bender:eek:

G5422T likes this.
  18. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    I'm one of those weird dudes that like that metallic, janky funk on there.. but also REALLY love the percussive thumpiness and attack (Frusciante!) you mention. I guess I'll have to listen to what this git says to me about where it wants to sit in the tonal spectrum and genre it wants to speak..

those Thomastick flats are getting a LOT of love in here! seems if i dig them I'm going to have to stock up on nude G-strings if i want to Frehley it though:) appreciate the input!

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  19. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    great description and super informative! thank you kind sir! makes me even more excited to try them!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  20. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    btw, love that dudes demos.. he gets to the gist of everything he messes with and does it succinctly and with his own flair

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.