Flat lovers: TI Flats and midrange vs others

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by dr. love, Sep 24, 2020.

1. dr. love

dr. love Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Texas
    A question for the flats veterans: are the TI jazz flats more “middy” than other flats like Chromes? I put on some TI flats a few months back and they are good but it just seem like they aren’t quite as clear in the mids as I would like. The only other flats I’ve tried are Chromes and I don’t remember them being so mid heavy, but it was a while back. It’s a 3161 with HS filters. I have also considered different pickups, but strings are a much cheaper and easier switch.

2. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    TIs are warmer because they're nickel wrap and have round cores. Generally speaking, if you want brighter you want hex core and/or steel wrap. However, hex core is also stiffer, so you can also try round core/steel wrap if you want brighter/slinkier

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I hated the dad flats I tried. I actually like the TI better but to me they sound rounder, clear with more fundamental. The dads I had just sounded completely flat and muddy. Is that a function of the amount of mids present or lack of higher over tones? A bit of both maybe.

Axis39, Bubbalou88 and ZackyDog like this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Same experience, here.

Bubbalou88 and Bertotti like this.
  5. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Electromatic

Sep 25, 2020
    Dallas-Ft.Worth Texas
    My favorite strings are TI Jazz Flats on Bass
    my 2nd choice are LaBella Low Tension Flats ( not as low tension as TI Jazz Flats but lower than others and a little less middy )

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Bubbalou88 !
    welcome mat texas.JPG

7. dr. love

dr. love Gretschie

Jun 2, 2008
    Texas
    Yes, on bass I like TI’s because the mids give that definition to the notes that many flats don’t have. This is the first time I’ve used the guitar version and was wondering if it was similar and in my case too much of a good thing.

8. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    This has been my experience as well. I just don't like Chromes.

In fact, I don't care for any steel wrapped strings these days. Even the guitars that have round wrap strings get 100% nickel over round cores (although, admittedly, I prefer burnished strings over round wrap).

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.