First Paying Job

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 12, 2020.

1. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    That's awesome. I was a league bowler for some time and always wanted to bowl somewhere that still did it by hand. At the time I was bowling, I think there was only 1 place left in the US.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  2. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Props.

Jeff67 and mrfixitmi like this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That was my son's first job - at Target at Christmas time. They called themselves "cart bitches." :eek:

4. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

my first "paying job" was pumping gasoline and doing some automobile repair(turning a wrench) at my aunt and uncle's gas station/repair shop just north of McComb, Mississippi for a couple of weeks during Summer vacations.
    my first Summer out of high school, I worked as a plumber's helper @ $1.25/hr. we averaged 60 hour weeks in 1969.

thunder58, mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    lol imagine putting that on the resume.

6. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Milking cows before and after school and weekends. $3.25 an hour in 1987. Didn’t expect the job to be more about waste management than milk. There’s dung everywhere.

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  7. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Working in a garden centre hauling fertilizer bags

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    I grew up on a farm, so that was my work, until completing schooling for my A&P license.
    After getting my license I got in a Cessna 180 of my brother-in-laws and flew to Anchorage, Alaska. Got my first job there as a newbie aviation mechanic. Retired from that job after 24 years, went from know nothing to Vice-President of Maintenance during that time.

Stefan87, new6659, mrfixitmi and 2 others like this.
  9. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    You need to talk to @Synchro . He's an A & P, too. Y'all could trade war stories.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I immigrated to the US from Canada in 83 when I was 8 years old. Back then it took FOREVER to become naturalized, so I was 16 before I was legally able to work. At that point I lived in Denver CO. and I wound up getting a job making wood cabinets and accessories for hot tubs. You know, wooden steps, floating bars. etc. It was my first job and after about 30 years, it's still my favorite job. I learned a TON about small scale manufacturing and craftsmanship, but more importantly, I learned a lot about people.

One day soon I plan to leave my current industry, and I constantly wonder if I could figure out a way to do something like that once again. I'd love to get into something FAR more hand's on and tangible like that again.

new6659, drmilktruck and mrfixitmi like this.
  11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    My first paying job was at a fast food restaurant, a local Dairy Queen. It was one that sold both ice cream and hot foods (hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, fries, onion rings, etc.). I started out working in the kitchen, then would work up front & drive-thru at the cash registers & making ice cream products and would work either up front or in the kitchen, wherever I was scheduled.

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    I guess first paying job I ever had was hauling hay one summer. If your ever drove by a hay field and saw square bales scatter all over it well me and about 5 other guys were responsible for snatching those bales up and loading em on a flatbed trailer. Young mans work!! Now days a machine and 2 guys can haul hay better and faster. Later, my Dad enlisted my brother and I to work in the full service gas station he owned for awhile, Dad paid us a cash salary off books. One day my brother and I calculated our per hour pay rate based on the hours we put in each week. I think it came out to .53 cents per hour.

13. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    That patriotic blonde on the end is pretty tuff!!

14. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Where I worked we used a square bale thrower to automatically load the wagon. We’d come back with a truck later to pick up any that missed the wagon during a turn. Loading wasn’t the hard part. It was unloading the wagon and stacking bales in the barn. It’s HOT in the barn and you had to choose between sweating to death or death by a thousand cuts from the bales. And who would’ve thought a snake could survive being rolled up in a bale of hay? We got $5 an hour for unloading hay.

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  15. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I know the thread said not lawnmowing etc., but I was a young entrepreneur at age 9. I had two paper routes that I started myself and I had a lawn mowing business. I think that if my parents didn't more or less force me into college and a professional career, I'd probably be pretty well off about now...

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I didn’t mind hay work until you get it a field that is almost entirely sand burr. Those things are torture! All over your cloths little spines stuck in you skin everywhere! Wasn’t a problem until the field was left to seed then at a certain height and time they get those darn burrs on top it is a type of grass but why can’t it spread itself like other loveable grass.

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    The female guards selected the guard suit style, none of us objected with their selection.

Jeff67, MentalTossFlycoon and Sabato like this.
  18. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    My first regular paying job was as a soda jerk for a local burger joint. I learned quickly that I was not cut out to work with the public.

drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  19. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    My first paying job was a caddy at 2 different country clubs starting in sophomore year in high school back in 1989 on weekends and into that summer between sophomore and junior year of high school for 6 days/week.

All cash, $20/bag plus tip and 2 bags per loop. $50 bucks for 4 hours work plus a little wait time in the yard before the caddy master picked you for the loop.......not bad. In college, I was strong enough to do 2 loops(36 holes) on some days and if I was on the caddy master's good side, I'd get a good loop, vs. being stuck with a duo of slow cheaper guys, and makes $30/per bag. I was at a disadvantage though.....I had as much muscle as a young Frank Sinatra and weighed only 140 lbs. by the time I graduated college so 36 holes/day wasn't as easy as it was for my buddy Jim who was 6'5" and around 200 lbs. Jimmy did 2 loops almost every day and was the favorite and averaged $700 in cash/week.

Caddying at corporate outings on Mondays was where the jackpot was. Sure it it was a 6 hour gig but the payday was up to $200.........2 bags walking and 2 putters to forecaddy for the other 2 players in the foursome.

Good times.......good times!

drmilktruck likes this.
  20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Carpenter, for the school/institutional interiors company my dad worked for. We replaced all the boards on a set of fold-out bleachers.

I worked as an A&P in the '80s and '90s. I miss working on the light stuff, Cessna 150s, and the like. They were so simple.

Dana Rudd and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.