First Guitar, First Gretsch?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by drmilktruck, Jul 19, 2018.

1. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Man I love these post because I love old guitars. The Stella post was great. I learned how to play on my father"s old Stella. Loved dads old guitar almost as much as I loved My dad

2. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My first guitar was a Sears Silvertone amp-in-case at Christmas '63. Learned a handful of chords, but wound up selling it to get a bigger amp for the Farfisa. I was far busier (and better) on keys than guitar. Six years later, I picked up a '69 Voxton flat top and a case for $100 while I was in the service. It's been all around the world in the back of a C-130. It's beat up, but I still have it.

First Gretsch was a Synchro sparkle Jet, which led to the harder stuff---a 5235T Pro Jet and a 3140 Historic.

mrfixitmi, LivingMyDream and section2 like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Black strat, MIJ, unfortunately MIJ seventies budget style including a ply body and hard-tail-cut-in-half-tele-style bridge. Looked great though, very Gilmourish.

1st Gretsch was a 2007 G6119-1959 RI aquired in 2010 ish...

4. First Gretsch was a country classic ii. The one in my avy.

LivingMyDream and Flouswa like this.
  5. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    F3000773-190D-454F-98FA-3DFC4260B3C7.png
    My first guitar, purchased used in 1978 was a Columbus Les Paul copy that was plenty good enough for me to thrash around on while i taught myself to play.
    Several guitars and bands later my wife bought me my first (used) Gretsch in 1992. Ive bought and sold and collected Gretsches ever since but i still have and love my Baldwin era Country Gent. An absolutely superb beast. 0698CC0F-BACE-4DBD-817E-23E26AFD3C60.jpeg

Attached Files:

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    First guitar was the Washburn KC-40V I bought from a class mate to help fund his first Gibson LP:
    [​IMG]
    Pretty good starter guitar, aside from the licensed Floyd. Had it playing pretty good and it didn't sound half bad. Pictured here w/ my first guitar amp, a Peavey Triumph 60. It served me well until I got my own Les Paul a few years later. I still have the Washburn and gave the amp to the bass player for his birthday a few years back.

My first Gretsch was a 5435T I ran into at the local GC used. It was only in my possession for about 3 weeks before the bass player found me a 5655T on CL and I sold the Pro Jet to him, here's a pic of them both together:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  7. Beardog

Beardog Country Gent

Apr 15, 2018
    Nova Scotia
    Wow do i like that. Beauty!

Charlie westside and J Bird like this.
  8. wvincagold

wvincagold Gretschie

Jan 4, 2018
    US
    My first guitar was a Yamaha classical. It was stolen when I was in the Marine Corps in Yuma AZ vmfat 101.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Charlie westside and Kikstand like this.
  9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Sarah, my first Gretsch was a G5120 in sunburst, too. I didn't call it Rosie, but it is one guitar that I still regret letting go. That sunburst finish on the 5120 was absolutely beautiful.

2011 Gretsch 5120 -2.JPG

10. Kikstand

Kikstand Newbie

Jul 20, 2018
    Lakeland, Florida
    First stringed instrument was a TV PAL toy ukelele. They were made out of New York in the 50s and 60s I think. First real guitar was probably a red Kramer 300ST. The Kramer stayed with me throughout my military career but was stolen from a storage unit in the early 90s.
    My first Gretsch is the G6118 I picked up a couple weeks ago. By far my most favorite guitar!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

11. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

My first guitar was a Marlin hollow body electric, around 1968. Came bundled with a solid state Checkmate 10 amplifier. It was replaced around 1972 with a 67 Gibson non-reverse Firebird with 3 P90s (sure wish I still had that one!). The Checkmate was replaced just before the guitar, with a West Avalon (50 watt) tube amp with 2 410 cabs (at which time I became the scourge of the neighborhood :D).

My first Gretsch is an Aspen Green 5420 (first series). Got it about when I joined the forum here in 2013. 20130504_152746_3_zps2352b843.jpg

12. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    My first guitar cost £12 when I was 14. I would walk past the second hand shop on the way to school and one day it was in the window. It was obviously hand-painted white and a weird shape but the price was right. Even so, it took me at least a month to get it paid off so I could take it home. I painted it red soon after, this is it:
    first.jpg

Pretty sure this was its original state, a Rosetti.
    [​IMG]
    First Gretsch was a 6119. Here's a pic from the one gig I did with it, pretty much a disaster since my amp died right away so the backup was a Fender Mustang that seemed impossible just to get an 'amp' sound from, there were a zillion presets, but the owner had boatloads of effects on every one of them. The big body of the guitar never suited me so it had to go.

oneG.jpg

turbo2000, mrfixitmi, MKunie and 4 others like this.
  13. vyndance

vyndance Gretschie

Dec 12, 2014
    Bear Valley Springs, CA
    First guitar was a knockoff Vox Phantom V in '65. First Gretsch was a 5120. I modded it pretty heavy and got it sounding and playing great. I could play it for hours setting down but just could not bond with a 2 3/4 inch thick guitar standing up. It went to a fella here on G-T.

14. dlwilliams48

dlwilliams48 Electromatic

Mar 27, 2018
    Georgia
    I don't even remember what my first guitar was... I remember it was a cheap electric, single cut away, perhaps a Silvertone. It was destroyed in a house fire in 1966 but I did learn to play on it. First Gretsch is my recently purchased G2622.

15. slimwilson

slimwilson Synchromatic

Dec 22, 2015
    Mobile, Al
    First guitar was a Silvertone Strat. The first guitar I ever bought myself was a Syncromatic Gretsch Junior Jet

Charlie westside likes this.
  16. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    My first guitar was a Kay student acoustic, the action was so high, that our 1956 Buick could have parked under the 9th fret. My first Gretsch was a pawn shop 1959 Chet with similar action. I was elated when I bought the Gretsch, but not as much as the guy that owned the pawn shop. And no, even with a Gretsch I could not sound like George Harrison...live and learn.
    kay.jpg

17. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    My 1st guitar was this wazu Sears Catalog Les Paul Copy in 1976. I was like 10 years old. The thing had all of these switches, echo, trem, fuzz. It was a crazy piece of junk , never stayed in tune beast. I wish I would have hung on to it. My 1st Gretsch is just a couple of weeks old "Electromatic G 5230 Jet T" I expected less for the $$$ , I am utterly smitten by this beauty.

Attached Files:

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia

19. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    love the guitars Sid. I also use Blackstar amps. HT Club 40. great amp.

Sid Nitzerglobin and MKunie like this.
  20. Love it too johnny g, for the same reasons. Plus you mentioned how you felt about your Dad, which got me thinking about mine.

Congrats Section2 (quarter way to being a section8?) and kjmac on your Red Sparlkes. Beautiful! And hey kj, Omaha was my home for 17 years, heading back for a month in a few weeks.

Great stories and pictures. Sarah, I remember your Riveter!

Lots of impressive guitars, too. Beardogs Super Chet among many.

My first was a Kay box almost 50 years ago, and like CaliforniaSlim my first electric was a crappy strat knockoff- I wonder what happened to it, too!

Sorry to say I don't have first GreTsch, my favorite looking guitar since I was 5, 6122-62

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.