First Gretsch!

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Woody13, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Woody13

Woody13 Newbie

Jun 2, 2020
    Indiana, USA
    Hi, everyone!
    I now have my first Gretsch. It's a lefty, 2015, 5420 that I had the Bigsby put on it, of course. My question is, what are the potential weak spots on it? I've had some tuning issues with it and I don't know if it's due to the stock bridge or something else? Also, are the pots cheap on this guitar? No problems so far. I do love my new baby, just wondering what other people have changed out? Sorry I haven't read all the posts yet. Wow, and this thing is really sensitive to humidity changes!

CaliforniaSlim and LivingMyDream like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Woody!
    welcome mat 117.jpg

3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville!

A critical area IMO is the nut, but that’s any guitar, not just Gretsch.

Groutsch likes this.
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Hi @Woody13 and welcome to the forum . How about some pictures of that new beauty , we love pics around here

6. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Hiya!

Yep, consensus is that most tuning issues are with the nut. Most...not all. And we do like guitar pictures!

About the pots. Years ago you used to hear a lot about people changing the pots on the 5120, which is the precursor to your guitar. But on the 5420s, you don't hear about that near as often. On the older guitar, the pots were full-sized Alphas. I suspect the same is true of the 5420, although I don't know for sure. There's nothing wrong with Alpha pots. There have been a number of people who have complained about the way the pots operate: about how their operation is not even, or linear, along the entire sweep of the pot. That's not a problem with the quality of the pot, merely possibly a problem with which type of pot was specified by the designers at Gretsch.

johnny g likes this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to the nut house Woody!;)

Congrats on the new geet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.