First Concert

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chesterville ON Canada
    Mine was The Beach Boys in Montreal in 1965 with Glen Campbell on bass in place of Brian Wilson.

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I think I saw that gig too!

3. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chesterville ON Canada
    I saw the Stones in 1965 in Montreal and it was a similar set list, beginning with Not Fade Away, but I remember they played “The Last Time” as it was their current single.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    George Benson on his Breezin tour. I was 13 so it had to be 1977.
    My Dad was a guitar player and he was psyched to see Benson.
    Stuff opened up for G.B. I was young but even then I knew I was in the presence of unattainable greatness! Westbury Music fair, Westbury New York. R.I.P Dad, thanks for everything.

5. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    OK...The band that headlined with The Animals in Milwaukee, 7/31/66 was...(The poster is from the night before in Baltimore.)...
    Animals_HermansHermits_POSTER_3.jpeg

MrWookiee, T-Bawler and drmilktruck like this.
  6. ooglybong

ooglybong Newbie

Apr 7, 2011
    NY
    My first concert was seeing Cream pretty early on in their career (between Fresh Cream and Disraeli Gears?), as best I can recall. (I don't recall there being any opening act.) It was held in a huge airplane hanger or something like that, pretty close to my home in Valley Stream on Long Island (the venue was somewhere north of me), and my friends and I were seated pretty far back.

My most notable takeaway memory of it all was that the P.A actually gave out partway through... and then they simply performed the rest of the concert instrumentally. Of course, for Cream... no problem!

radd, T-Bawler, new6659 and 1 other person like this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Welcome to Gretsch-Talk! Thanks for sharing that story.

I was at concert a few years ago when the PA cut out. However the band was obviously using in ear monitors only and they kept playing, finishing the song. I thought I had suddenly lost my hearing, seeing their mouths and hands move with no sound coming out! All we could hear was the drums.

ooglybong likes this.
  8. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Electromatic

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
    Blue Oyster Cult, with Aldo Nova opening

T-Bawler and drmilktruck like this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I saw Blue Oyster Cult with Black Sabbath (RJ Dio years). The tour was called Black and Blue.

T-Bawler, gretschbigsby and MrWookiee like this.
  10. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

Since the age of 15 various local bands. My first real concert was at the age of 17, Stray cats, Guana batz, Boppin kids and Jack Daniel's lovers... In Milan, Italy, 1989. Great memories!

radd, T-Bawler and drmilktruck like this.
  11. TeleRooo

TeleRooo Electromatic

Mar 19, 2017
    Tiger Mt.
    The Beatles 1964 at the Seattle Center Coliseum. Could hardly hear them over the screaming girls.
    Saw them again twice, same place 1965.

radd, T-Bawler, drmilktruck and 2 others like this.
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    1977, Meatloaf at Massey Hall, Toronto. Before he wrecked his voice.

13. hawiian2

hawiian2 Electromatic

Jan 13, 2021
    Connecticut
    My first real concert was on 01/28/1978. I was 15 My friends and myself went to see KISS at the old New Haven Coliseum, New Haven Connecticut Oddly enough I remember the back up band was called "Rockets"
    Years later I looked the up on the internet, Local Detroit area band never did much outside of their hometown. Anyway I remember it well and still have the full TICKETRON issued ticket as I wanted to see if I could sneak in (I did!!)

T-Bawler and CaliforniaSlim like this.
  14. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Colorado
    March 1974. Three Dog Night with Styx opening. My mom worked at the local rock station at the time and got us VIP passes. Could have went in a side door and wandered backstage but were too stupid to know. We stood outside with the rest of the general admission ticketholders. Still ended up about 5th row but should have been front row.

T-Bawler and MrWookiee like this.
  15. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Oct 15, 2020
    Colorado
    Wasn't my first concert but saw the same in 1982ish. Have a great story about the trip home but would violate TOS if I was to share it.:(

T-Bawler and MrWookiee like this.
  16. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    It was the 2SM Concert of the Decade at the Sydney Opera House, in 1979 - I was 15. Dragon was a highlight, though there were lots of others - Mi-Sex, Skyhooks, Split Enz, Dick Clap.

I remember being impressed by a rather large lad wearing his colours accidentally dropping a flagon of wine in the gutter and as it smashed, he dropped to his hands and knees and sucked the wine out of the gutter amidst the broken glass. I've drunk champagne from a sandshoe, but not wine out of the gutter!

T-Bawler and drmilktruck like this.
  17. juks

juks Electromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Hurricanes (they spelled it with g but my phone refuses to post it that way) somewhere around 1975. I was 14 or 15. They played in a Walmart kind of a store. Stage put in the middle and people crowding the isles. Heck of a rock band and that's how my music journey really started.

T-Bawler likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.