First Concert

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 1, 2021.

1. THS3171

THS3171 Electromatic

Jan 20, 2020
    31787 Hameln Germany
    Stray Cats on 01.07.1989 Outpost, Göttigen, Germany

Shame on me, i don't have the ticket anymore :(

2. Roscoe_Pepper

Roscoe_Pepper Electromatic

Winnipeg, Manitoba 1986
    The late great Roy Orbison. I didn’t appreciate the talent that I was watching at that young age, all I knew is I liked pretty women

3. hippdog

hippdog Electromatic

Jul 23, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    Jimi Hendrix, 1968, St. Louis, Keil Auditorium.

Jimi water color .jpg

4. PrimitiveWood

PrimitiveWood Electromatic

Oct 16, 2014
    Pennsyltucky
    I read all of these posts --cool stuff--
    Also looks like most of us responding are a bit--shall we say-- "seasoned"?

Late August 1973 (my HS grad year) --Beach Boys --in an acoustically great place -Pittsburgh's Syria Mosque-- which is now a parking lot.
    Probably because it had no air conditioning and I'm sure the electrical system was very dated as I also remember when the power went out in the building for like 15 minutes during a Stephen Stills show in the 80's.

Beach Boys were really good, sound was great--Boy it was HOT as we could only afford tickets way up there--where the August heat rose to!

Later that year the next concert was Elton John at the also now history (and currently a parking lot as well) then named, Civic Arena.

This concert was AMAZING not just that Elton was great--but the crowd was as well.
    Elton played "Madman Across the Water" for what seemed like 45 minutes--probably was really 10 minutes--And get this--
    The crowd actually listened!
    No idiots jumped up and screamed just to be seen, nobody yelled for "Honky Cat", "Hercules" "Your Song" --they let the concert be the entertainment--
    Nobody seemed to be there to grab attention from the actual show people paid to see...
    I miss that.

5. buzzanderson

buzzanderson Gretschie

Jan 19, 2015
    Centreville, VA
    My mom made my older sister and her friends take me along to see Herman's Hermits at DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, DC when I was eleven, c. 1966. The Who opened.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    new6659, Xochi2, drmilktruck and 3 others like this.
  6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    3 Dog Night - 1971 Baltimore Civic Center - warm up act was Smith.
    Both acts were very good. That show gave me the bug and after that I spent the next 30 years seeing concerts many times from the front of house...:D.
    Next up was Badfinger and The Doors minus Jim Morrison.

Xochi2, drmilktruck and T-Bawler like this.
  7. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    My first concert was Boz Scaggs with Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes warming up. I think it was about 1976.

With my parents it was Henry Mancini in the mid-late 60's in Pittsburgh ... I remember Baby Elephant Walk, Pink Panther Theme, Peter Gunn, and Moon River.

8. afire

afire Country Gent

The Who opening for anybody seems a little weird, but Herman's Hermits is a pretty big mismatch. Like GWAR opening for Michael Bublé.

Xochi2 and drmilktruck like this.
  9. PrimitiveWood

Oct 16, 2014
    Pennsyltucky
    How about Warren Zevon for Chicago?

drmilktruck and afire like this.
  10. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I think it was Orange Sunshine followed by Jefferson Airplane at the Wang Center Boston. Have no idea of the year but it was a loooong time ago. Or Janice J at the underground... Damn Memory sucks

11. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Electromatic

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Johnny Winter at the Fillmore East in 1971 - yeah, I'm a really old rocker....LOL
    Ticket was 6 bucks!

12. ffc65

ffc65 Electromatic

Jan 7, 2015
    London
    The Ruts in late '78 at Hemel Hempstead Pavilion. Sadly, 6 months later lead singer Malcolm Owen died from a drugs overdose. Fantastic gig

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. PrimitiveWood

Oct 16, 2014
    Pennsyltucky

I remember hearing ads over the radio for ticket prices for upcoming "name" concerts--$4--$5--and $6--

and the difference meant a lot!

salvatore likes this.
  14. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    The Nice. Masonic Temple Toronto. Keith Emeson stabbed his Hammond with little daggers then jumped on top of it and rode it (rocking it back and forth) across the stage. He was my hero. I had a cheap Farfisa clone but could just not for the life of me sound like him!

new6659, drmilktruck and T-Bawler like this.
  16. Johnny ray

Johnny ray Electromatic

Jun 29, 2018
    Indiana
    My parents took my sister and I to the Indiana Fair Coliseum in 1958 to see Rick Nelson. When I was 16 years old in 1966, I saw The Beach Boys with the Kingsmen of Louie Louie fame. Then my second concert in 1966 was The Rolling Stones which made the biggest impression on me.
    I went on to see many acts, like Jimmy Hendricks, The Yardbirds with Jimmy Page, The Who, and so many others in the 60's and 70's

17. knh555

knh555 Electromatic

Apr 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I won tickets off the radio in Chicago (8th caller!) to see the Monkees when I was about 12 or 13. The first act I actively chose was Rush up in Alpine Valley, WI.

T-Bawler, new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  18. spiritguitar

spiritguitar Electromatic

Jun 24, 2010
    CA
    I grew up in Hawaii and my first concert was Bo Diddley in Honolulu when I was just a kid -- somewhere between the late 50s and early 60s -- can't recall the year.

The cool thing for me is I ended up playing bass for Bo Diddley at a Long Beach Arena gig in the late 70s.

19. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Kansas on their Monolith tour. Coulda been '79 or '80 at the Von Braun Civic center in Huntsville Alabama. I was 14 or 15 years old. A little more than a decade later I was on the same stage, singing songs I wrote, opening up for Eddie Money singing with my band.
    If that's not circular enough a bit more than a decade after that I found myself ringing out Steve Walsh at the store I was working at and had the chance to tell him that he was my first big rock band show and I found myself on the same stage singing songs I wrote. I told him thank you for the inspiration. He seemed very shy, a bit embarrassed and self-conscious about it, but his wife and kids were beaming.

Pretty sure this would've been the same tour:

I love the tennis gear stage wear. I believe this was at the height of the McEnroe era at Wimbledon. Everybody was going around in tennis gear for everyday wear. Moi included.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.