First Concert

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 1, 2021.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    What was your first concert featuring a national recording artist?

Mine was the Moody Blues on the Octave tour, 1978. My best friend John Jagoe bought them for my 15th birthday, at the Met Center in Bloomington, MN. Tickets were $9.

They opened with this one:

Mrs MT's first was Elvis Presley in Madison June 24, 1977, his third to last show. She says he was terrible - forgetting words, sweating, barely singing.

However there was a cool prelude to the concert, where Elvis saved a kid from getting beaten up at a convenience store.

That story, followed by about 20 minutes of the concert. (James Burton on guitar it looks like.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  2. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    My first “real” gig was The Damned 5/7/1981 at The Lyceum in London. A day before my 15th birthday... What a night!!!! F6043F6A-DDE3-4B5D-98DC-24E74953120B.jpeg

Penguin, Rusty Silver, ffc65 and 11 others like this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Elton John in Chicago on his first US tour.

We all know the rest of the story.

Rusty Silver, drmilktruck and Waxhead like this.
  4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Do you mean the first concert to which I followed me parents when I was a kid? Or the first I went by myself?
    (Option A is gonna be terrible).

5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    1975 , Roosevelt Stadium , Jersey City , N.J. What a dump ! ( an old baseball stadium that was literally falling apart ) Urinals !! not a chance . Just a long troth that was hanging off the wall and overflowing , and you had to stand in the overflow on the floor ... disgusting .....hey @5120mantis you remember that place

*** The Outlaws , New Riders of the Purple Sage , The Doobie Brothers ( in that order )

6. Defib Tim

Defib Tim Electromatic

Dec 3, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    1983, 16 years old, took my girlfriend to the "Big Swing" music festival in Heathcote, Sydney, Australia. Aussie bands just starting out included Hoodoo Gurus, The Models, I'm Talking, the Divynyls, who all became iconic bands on the Australian pub circuit.

Jimmy Barnes and INXS headlining. They finished with the first live version of "Good Times". If you haven't seen it on youtube do yourself a favour & check it out.

What followed for me was a decade of amazing live music every week. often 3 or 4 nights a week. Left me with a deep love of live music and no hearing...

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Defib Tim, Xochi2, MrWookiee and 4 others like this.
  8. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I would love to see Carlos

Xochi2, Sid Nitzerglobin and G5422T like this.
  9. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    13 years old. June 28th 1986. I saw Marillion, Gary Moore, Jethro Tull, Saxon and Mama's Boys at The Bowl in Milton Keynes, UK.

It's one of those days my life seems permanently attached to. 4 mates, all early teens, all into Prog Rock. 40,000 people. A blazing hot summers day. Jettisoned into an adult world. In awe of watching the mother of all bottle fights. Walking 4 miles each way to the venue.

The raw excitement, the fear, the music. I'll never forget that day.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    1964, Gene Pitney's Cavalcade of Stars in Notre Dame's Stepan Center.
    28 bands in 4 hours. Probably cost me a whole $3 or 4.
    First local band earlier that year changed my life.
    As I walked in, the guy started the piano riff from The Kingsmens' "Money".
    Started playing it as soon as i got home that night, much to my parents' chagrin.
    Haven't been the same since.

11. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    If I remember right, it was The Doors and Iron Butterfly, probably in 1967. Coincidentally, that was the last time Jim Morrison was allowed to perform in our fair city.

12. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Option B. (My first concert with my parents was Olivia Newton-John at the Minnesota state fair when I was 9 or 10.)

JeffreyLeePierre and Waxhead like this.
  13. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Dr Feelgood supported by Squeeze. Hammersmith Odeon 1978. Two great bands out of the pub circuit and into the Big Time at a major London venue. I was 16.

14. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Statler Brothers did an afternoon concert at the county fair in 1980. Loved. Every. Minute. Whole town was there, even the guys who drank too much at the demolition derby the night before. I remember everyone in the stands going ape every time Harold the bass singer would turn sideways, stick out his gut and grin.

15. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I saw him a few years ago. The first half of the show where he played his older stuff and didn't talk much was great. The second half - newer material, lots of hippie philosophizing and an interminable drum solo by his wife - was not so good. (OTOH I think almost every drum solo is soul deadening. But Ms Blackmon went on way too long, during one of the encores!)

thunder58 likes this.
  16. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Fall of '79. Carlos opened for the Marshall Tucker Band. MTB was at their peak, stadium tours, and not long before Tommy passed away.

Odd pairing, or so I thought. Carlos was Carlos. Gracious to the crowd, and was just killer. The crowd was ready.

MTB was really kicking it too, when they introduced and had Carlos do a song with them.

"Running Like the Wind."

They literally blew the crowd away. Unforgettable moment in music for me.

Love Carlos and miss the heck out of the Caldwell brothers.

17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I believe it was Eric Clapton when I was 13 or 14 (end of the '80s) @ Riverfront Coliseum. I bought the tickets & took my mom for her birthday. It was a crappy venue for music, but still a fairly good show in my memory.

18. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Feb 1965 The Rolling Stones (with Brian Jones) at the Capitol Theatre in Perth. I was 17. The set list was:
    1. "Not Fade Away"
    2. "Walking The Dog"
    3. "Under The Boardwalk"
    4. "Little Red Rooster"
    5. "Around and Around
    6. "Heart of Stone"
    7. "Time Is On My Side"
    8. "It's All Over Now"

19. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Short show!

JeffreyLeePierre and audept like this.
  20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    They did 3 shows that day! Short playlists were common back then, most rock acts did less than an hour.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.