First 100 Videos Played on MTV

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I recently jumped around in Rob Tannenbaum and Craig Marks' book I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution. (Rob was a few years ahead of me at Brown University, as was Patti Galluzzi, who became music director in the late 80s. VJ Allison Stewart was a few years behind me. Several others from Brown's radio station WBRU played roles there as well.) Not something to read through but fun to jump around. (Needed more pictures though.)

Anyway, if you have a few hours and want to relive the early morning hours of August 1, 1981, you can watch the first 100 videos on MTV.

https://www.npr.org/sections/world-cafe/2021/07/30/1021813462/the-first-100-videos-played-on-mtv

Everybody knows the first video was Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles, but what was the second played?

Last edited:

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
They couldn't just publish the list? I have to watch a 100 videos? LoL! Fat chance that's gonna happen.

btw, Pat Benetar at #2, Rod the Mod at #3, The Who at #4, and somebody called PhD at #5. That's as far as I got.

I do very clearly remember the premiere weekend of MTV, where I was and seeing it for the first time, which was the Sunday morning after the midnight start-up. It was pretty amazing at first, the novelty of it. You instantly knew it was going to change things, because there just wasn't anything like that before. Musicians were gonna have to become TV stars, that much was obvious.

Whether that'd be something good or bad, I think we're still debating it 40 years later!

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
They couldn't just publish the list? I have to watch a 100 videos? LoL! Fat chance that's gonna happen.

btw, Pat Benetar at #2, Rod the Mod at #3, The Who at #4, and somebody called PhD at #5. That's as far as I got.
I have no idea who PhD is/was either. I scrolled through the You Tube list, knew most of the artists but not all. Very eclectic, but I assume there weren't many videos to choose from initially.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I didn't watch MTV then, and really won't watch it now.
Dire Strait's video "I Want My MTV" was five years old or so before I saw it online.

Hammerhands

Country Gent
Aug 26, 2011
Winnipeg
Do you remember Friday Night Videos?

In Canada we had that and, what was it called? I'm pretty sure Terry David-Mulligan hosted it...Citilines? Good Rockin' Tonight! I'm sure there was one on City TV...City Limits.

Latest posts