Firmware Update: Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by calebaaron666, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Thank you! I'll post an NAD thread eventually. So far I really really love it with T-90s. Such a great sound!

Trash Kidd and calebaaron666 like this.
  2. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Absolutely adore my TMDR.

I haven't done the update yet. I've always found that I could EQ the DRRI to match the two channels and the TM
    reacts exactly the same way.

I use a reverb pedal into the Normal channel with an AB/Y switch to match phases . This allows me to set up the Normal channel for a nice lead boost or both for extra effect.
    Really don't need much more. I do use a wampler Tumnus and/or a compressor to push the front end but distortion is not part of my palette generally.
    It is a great amp and I may try just the reverb mod. To be honest I think the amp performs much as my DRRI did and see no need for a change at this time.
    Nice to have choices. :)

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I like your approach. I use pedals, mostly reverb and delay, but as a rule, I prefer to let the amps do the heavy lifting. I have a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso for a clean boost, or with some amps I use an EHX Soul Food which is similar to the Tumnus; basically a very transparent overdrive.

It’s interesting to hear that the TM can pretty much match the DRRI.

4. tjnugent

tjnugent Newbie

Aug 8, 2013
    Oak Ridge, TN
    What type of cable is used for the firmware there are all sorts of micro-usb cables. Anything specific?

5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I used this one.
    I don’t know what you call it, but I think it’s pretty standard.
    568C1430-D4ED-4302-B57C-363C188A1E30.jpeg

Trash Kidd likes this.
  6. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    B0C4F0B0-CF26-4A8C-839E-FFF31454F95E.jpeg D497C156-3B74-488B-B016-5820EDD2AB41.jpeg
    This one...

7. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Out of curiosity I went back to the stock firmware today, and I think I prefer that. I was missing the sparkle of the default vibrato channel, in fact I was starting to think about getting brighter pickups. But nope, reverting to the stock firmware got me what I was missing. You can still get the warmer stuff if you want out of the normal channel. It was the cliched "taking the blanket off of the amp" experience.

I may get an a/b switcher to swap between normal and vibrato channels. They both sound good.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  8. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    On the hardware based circuit, that would be C10, the “Bright Cap”. My ‘68 CDR does not have C10 on the Vibrato channel and that channel sounds lifeless to my ear.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  9. RetiredSchmuck

RetiredSchmuck Electromatic

Mar 5, 2021
    Canada
    Drop Mac. Samsung and Windows is 90% of the world.
    You gotta try the Tonemaster. Get a smart friend with a Windows computer, there are millions, some in your band or neighborhood.

10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Hey, I’m with you on that. I manage Windows servers, but when I’m serious, I use Mac OS or Linux. Even the VOIP servers I manage are all going to Linux OS in their newer versions.

11. RetiredSchmuck

RetiredSchmuck Electromatic

Mar 5, 2021
    Canada
    The Boss LS-2 Line Selector is a good switcher

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I find it amusing that a digital amp won't just let you switch channels with a button or switch.

13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, RetiredScmuck!
    Maple Leaf doormat.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.