Firmware Update: Tone Master Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by calebaaron666, Sep 3, 2020.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I went ahead and updated the firmware on my Tone Master with the better reverb control and “bright cap” removal mod on the vibrato side.

I’m extremely happy with the result. It’s much easier to control the trebles. No fizz!
    It takes OD pedals better, and gets along smoother with my Mystery Brain preamp.

I don’t use much OD from pedals as I prefer the breakup from the amp, but at least now I have the option.
    The reverb improvement is great. It easier to control at lower levels whereas before it was underwater at 3.

It didn’t sound bad before, but I like it more now.
    I also have a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb reissue which came without the bright cap and now my Tone Master sounds closer to that amp than it did.
    Why have two amps that sound so alike?
    Cuz I love the sound!

I followed the directions here and it was an easy procedure.
    https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...ster-Deluxe-Reverb-Firmware-Upgrade-Procedure

However, I had to use my girlfriend’s Mac because I couldn’t download the windows version for some reason.
    the whole process took about 2 minutes. The update itself literally took 20 seconds.

I’d recommend giving it a try. You can always revert back to the factory setting.

PS, if the very existence of these amps is an offense to your purist sensibilities, maybe try and refrain from commenting about it on this thread.
    Start your own thread about how dumb you think they are.
    We won’t mind :cool:

2. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Thanks for posting.

I like that they have given several options which should suit everyone.
    The option you have chosen appeals to me too and I'll definitely look at that.

Snorre and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    There's a lot of us who'd jump at the chance of having a go on this amp. For some it would be a 'guilty pleasure'. For me, I'd just enjoy it. I recently bought a Mustang Lt25, kinda fun in a lower league way.

calebaaron666 and Trash Kidd like this.
  4. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Glad you’re liking it Caleb..
    I’ll have to give it a go..
    Is it a standard USB lead I’ll need?
    I’ve not looked yet.
    It’s already scaring a technophobe like me lol!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    calebaaron666 likes this.
  5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I wish you'd stop giving me gas :) I bet this amp would solve most of my problems trying to mic the cab of my quilter and running direct w it, summed. I warm it all up w the mysterybrain but its still just kinda flat n clanky going to the X32 board

6. I didnt even know the amps had that ability. Sadly i own a iPad and a iPhone. Would have to get my wife to download the goods. Might take a while. But thats for the twin. Not sure if i read that there’s an update for the twin as well.

7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    This is great to hear. It tells me that this new tech amp was built to clone an unadulterated, iconic sounding Fender amp.

To now offer updates that are based on popular mods to original tube amps, is a very good thing

Mods via updates..........no soldering iron or clippers needed!

Glad you like the results, and if Fender is really using their thinking caps, the future is really bright.

8. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, I happened to have a usb chord that worked. I’ll find it and take a picture of it. I took the back board of the amp off to see the usb jack and the flickering light better.

Snorre and Trash Kidd like this.
  9. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The “bright cap snip” mod really helps the mystery brain do it’s duty. It’s not as if the amp is dark by any means, just friendlier with pedals.
    I’ve experimented with DI recording with it a few times. Not since the update though.
    It works well.
    Here’s my attempt at the Cramps version of Blue Moon Baby.
    You can hear the Ray Butts in my 6120 breathing. They don’t disappoint.
    https://soundcloud.com/caleb-aaron/blue-moon-baby?ref=clipboard

10. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    It doesn’t cancel out my tube deluxe reverb, but it’s a great option. To my ears it sounds just as good. Even more so now that I can crank the vibrato channel and it doesn’t fizz like before.
    It’s especially great for travel given that it’s only 23 lbs.

Snorre likes this.
  11. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  12. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Nice!
    Seriously, it was easy. Just follow the directions as they’re written.
    Maybe your better half can assist. ;)
    You’ll notice the difference when using drive pedals. Much more ease of control.

Snorre and Trash Kidd like this.
  13. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    There are updates for the Twin as well. I haven’t looked at the offerings though.

Snorre likes this.
  14. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Haha!! you know me to well!
    Traci is on standby to do all the technical stuff for me on her MacBook! ;)

15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks for starting a new thread title on the update. The other one was getting long to follow and I would’ve missed the fact. I’m definitely adding it as a potential for next year. It’ll also be interesting if Fender expands the ToneMaster line this next virtual NAMM.

16. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Hmmm, maybe a fully adjustable "tone stack" mod, or even a separate tone stack only firmware that can work with this and other future platforms!

The right thinking cap can make this work well, have happy old and new customers, and make money.

Snorre, Merc and calebaaron666 like this.
  17. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Ya that sounds like a gretsch and a blackface, great work! .. I'd probably cut a bit back at around 4K on the eq but I am just listening through the stock speakes on my Imac. Not the best source of near field monitoring :) I'll have to listen in the other room w the KRK monitors

18. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thanx dude.
    Novice would be too kind a word to describe my recording abilities.
    I can say that I did ZERO eq’ing on the guitar track digitally. I messed a bit with the drums and the bass, but the guitar is presented exactly as I had it set when I played it.

Snorre likes this.
  19. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Right?
    I think a Tone Master Pro Reverb would be a bit of all right.

Snorre, pmac11, Merc and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.