Finished the Tele thinline mods

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by radd, Dec 1, 2021.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I picked up a absolutely mint condition 11 yr old Fender 72’ Tele Thinline reissue for a killer price a few months ago. I knew when I got it what I was going to do to it. I only changed my mind about one mod.

Neck first; the 7 1/4” radius, 1.650” nut width and thin profile was not going to work for my old hands. I ordered a Warmoth 59’ round back with 1 11/16” nut, 10” -16” radius and medium jumbo frets with the 3 bolt micro tilt. I put on my favorite vintage style tuners when it arrived; Gotoh ones that have three different staggered heights. I went with non roasted Maple to retain the period correct vintage look.

While I waited the few months for the neck I replaced the pots, wiring, switch, jack and jack cup with quality parts.

The original bent steel saddles were palm killers with the adjustment screws sticking up, even with short screws. I replaced them with some nice ones where the screws are recessed and the saddles are slotted yet they retain the vintage look.

I had read about reissue pickups not being as good as the the original 72’ ones but I was pleasantly surprised by the reissues. I had planned to change them to the more vintage spec 72’s but these had a great Tele twang from the bridge and nice warm tones from the neck….They stayed.

03569FE3-34BA-413B-8D50-A06786FD4A48.jpeg 62C83DBF-B2FD-42A4-8DAA-668549269DFB.jpeg 19BA6112-82CC-4B2C-BC79-D9A1834E6323.jpeg CDBDE1D6-0BC5-411F-97F0-6D8AA51DFA40.jpeg 75BF091D-87E6-43A2-8FF3-938ECEBEDFD7.jpeg 6A0483B9-7EFE-42CB-8FC5-A8B4B66C9268.jpeg B92F95DD-88D0-4B10-8FBD-B11C9C9C2387.jpeg 9019763C-6891-45F6-8700-5A08EBD74930.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  2. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    What a beauty!

radd likes this.
  3. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Look good, as all your guitars do, I have a soft spot for these as my guitar teacher when I was younger had one and I learnt a lot from him.

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool,nice flamed neck too!

radd likes this.
  5. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Electromatic

Aug 28, 2016
    Chatham County, NC
    You're killin' me. Not buying another guitar till I find the right one of those. That would have done it.

6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Thanks for the kind words

I have been after one for a few years that was in good enough shape ane cheap enough to justify the upgrades. I almost went with a stunning Japanese Fender version but then I found out that the neck pockets on the Japanese ones are slightly different so the neck I wanted might not fit

That was a nice surprise, just how beautiful the neck is with that vintage nitro finish.

JC higgy and PBO Blues like this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Looks killer, Conrad! Congrats.

8. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Tab Benoit got me thinking about a Thinline Tele, he plays a '72 model. Yours' looks great.

PBO Blues and radd like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    sa-sa-sa-sa-weet . She's a beauty for sure

radd likes this.
  10. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Sweet!

radd likes this.
  11. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Nice one!

radd likes this.
  12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats that is a fine looking thinline. Hope it plays as well as it looks.

radd likes this.
  13. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Nice, congrats!

That's really nice looking neck.

Those fairly recent CuNiFe WRHBs from Fender are the real deal IMO. I've liked a couple of the sets of the earlier WRHB RIs in guitars that came w/ them too, but the new ones seem awfully close in tone & feel/dynamics to the originals I've had or tried.

radd likes this.
  14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

radd, I played a '72 Thinline Tele at a GC when I was killing some time, and I was very impressed by what I heard, and felt. Since I wasn't in the buying mode at the time, I put it back and went home. I have tried a couple of other Teles (a Thinline Deluxe, and an American Standard), but just haven't hit it off with either of those Teles. Now you've got me thinking about the '72 Thinline again . . . just when I thought I was done buying any more guitars!

Congrats on your good find, and your mods sound like great upgrades!

radd likes this.
  15. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I love these! Totally beautiful, and I have the ‘59 round back on two of my guitars. SUCH a great profile. :)

radd likes this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Did you put in 500k pot electrics to match those humbuckers ??

17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Yup, CTS 500k

Waxhead likes this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    good - that will make the biggest improvement.
    Fender have a long time design fault going on their 2 x HB deluxe models.
    For reasons unknown they put 250k pots in them stock.

I know you like the stock pups but if you stick something like Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates in and split coil them it will take your Tele to another level again with options for either humbucker or single coil tones :)

I did this with my MiM Tele Deluxe and it made a huge improvement.

https://humbuckersoup.com/seymour-duncan-pearly-gates-coil-splitting/

Having tried a bunch of humbuckers over the years the SD Pearly Gates are my fav's :)

radd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.