Finger strength exercises

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by juks, Jun 15, 2021.

1. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Got this last week. Made me realize that my ring and little fingers are awfully weak. After using it for a week (while watching TV :)), I start seeing an improvement. Hopefully in my playing too, lol. Any experience with gadgets like this? Or comments on importance of finger strength?

20210615_080052.jpg

Archtops and thunder58 like this.
  2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Get a news paper lay a few open pages on a table and with your left hand pick up one sheet from the center of the paper and crumple it into a tight ball. Do that with several sheets at least once a day. Remember only use your left hand and crumple it into a tight ball

Archtops, MrWookiee, pmac11 and 2 others like this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’m getting slightly embarrassing flashbacks to these:

[​IMG]

Archtops, pmac11, GlenP and 2 others like this.
  4. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    That is an interesting one! Never heard of it. The weekly dump of advertising paper in my mailbox will finally get some use :).

nickurso likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I had them ..... in fact I think we all had them

Archtops and Ricochet like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Great idea Juks , something most of us tend to forget about

juks likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    When I started to play guitar, I'd read that continuously squeezing a basic 2" red rubber ball would help improve hand strength. It worked for me. You can find flour filled "stress balls" that would work as well. Playing piano for decades also helped. Many guys have not fared well when trying to assert dominance by playing the squeezy handshake game with me. Biggest issue I have now with hand strength is arthritis. Muscles are there, but the joints don't want to cooperate.

Archtops and capnhiho like this.
  8. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Finger strength exercises

OK - It will seem odd to you but :oops:... Playing guitar is also a good dedicated fingers exercise, no ? o_O

But it's me, OK ? :D

9. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    :) for sure. However, playing didn't make me realize how weak the two fingers were. The gadget did.

hcsterg likes this.
  10. Electrosynthesis

Electrosynthesis Gretschie

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    I prefer workouts for bigger muscle groups, when I can. It helps not only with the hands but also with the posture. I enjoy kettlebells and chopping wood (...) when I can, but that's also just me. ;D

11. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Yep. I learned that over 40 years ago.

pmac11 likes this.
  12. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have one of those, but I only use it on a light setting for warming up. To me it feels biomechanically suspect as a strength builder. What works better for me are kettlebell carries followed by stretches. When doing the kettlebell carries I practice squeezing on the handles a little harder with each finger in succession.

juks likes this.
  13. BlueNoise

BlueNoise Gretschie

Oct 30, 2009
    USA
    Juks, I use similar hand strengthening gadgets from Gripmaster. They make them in 5 different levels of resistance. Helpful.

Archtops and juks like this.
  14. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Common problem when developing specific muscle groups is ignoring the opposing muscle groups. It is important to balance opposing groups.

I found it important with my hands to work the opposing group. Put your four finger tips and thumb together, take as many rubber bands as needed to create resistance and then spread your fingers and thumb repeatedly. You will be surprised how weak those muscles are. In just a couple weeks you will be adding more rubber bands.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    MrWookiee and juks like this.
  15. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    My problem is left wrist strength. I went from 11s to 10s and from Two long scale Country Clubs as my mains to Two BSHR’s. Also rolling my road bike seems to flex and strengthen my palms n wrists..
    Seems to me forearms, wrist and palm strength is the key.. the fingers just flow over the strings like butterflies....
    Ya... Butterfly fingers ...

MrWookiee and juks like this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    A bucket of sand, or dirt, or gravel, open and close your hand in the chosen fill.

17. old mark

old mark Gretschie

Just use those fingers more and play more.

18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I just regularly squash uncooked potatoes with my bare hands to prepare a quick meal.:p
    upload_2021-7-2_12-50-8.jpeg
    After that I usually tear the telephone book of New York as a further work-out for my hand`s muscles:
    upload_2021-7-2_12-52-3.jpeg

19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    You do not need special strengh in your hands to play guitar. In fact over-develloped muscles will slow you down.
    Most of all you need mobility in your fingers and calluses on your fingertips.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  20. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    This one is not about strength but reach. I have done these types of exercises from an earlier Barabyk video and it definitely helps.

juks, slaminsam and MrWookiee like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.