Find it hard to choose a color.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by pmarinovich, Sep 20, 2020.

G6659T -- Lotus Ivory or Smoke Green?

1. Lotus Ivory

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  2. Smoke Green

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    Green unless your plan it to replace the pickguard on the ivory. I dislike imitation tortoise shell that much.

2. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I think the Caddy green is my favorite. But not this time.... I want chrome hardware.

3. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I didn't know "imitation tortoise shell" was a thing.

4. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Smoke Green for sure. One of the coolest Gretsch colors.

pmarinovich likes this.
  5. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    Okay, here's the deal. I decided I like the smoke green. So I messaged the seller who offered me a discount on the ivory and asked if I could get the smoke green at the same price. If he/she doesn't respond in time, I'll take the ivory because money is indeed an issue here.

I really do appreciate the responses I got here. You guys are very cool. :)

Anacharsis likes this.
  6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    I mean, what we call "tort" isn't the actual shell of tortoises. It's just plastic. Like MOT&S is neither pearl nor mother of pearl. I guess "pearloid" is used, but..."tortoid?"

7. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    Ah, I've always thought of tortoise shell the same way I thought of "lotus ivory" or "smoke green." I never really expected some poor naked turtles out there. :)

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    What's called "tortoise shell" isn't. It's just melted together bits of colored plastic. Real tortoises would object otherwise. It's illegal anyhow, like real ivory.

9. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I never believed for a second that tortoise shell was an actual thing. I assumed everyone knew it was just bits of plastic. That's why I did a double take at "imitation tortoise shell." It sounded like "imitation sky blue."

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Genuine plastic! Don't be fooled by imitations!

pmarinovich likes this.
  11. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    I feel like I'm on a bad luck streak. I ordered the smoke green guitar. The store only had one like that. It arrived today. I absolutely love it. I love the size. I love the feel. I love the tone. But it had a nasty scratch on the pickguard. There was nothing in the case to scratch it so I assume it left the store like that. I messaged the store but haven't heard back yet.

Attached Files:

audept likes this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    If the shop doesn't fix it then contact Joe Carducci at Gretsch. Gretsch should send you a replacement pickguard.

pmarinovich and section2 like this.
  13. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    It's hard to tell from the photo, but does the pickguard still have the protective plastic sheet on it? If so, does the scratch go all the way through?

14. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    No, I overlooked it at first because I thought it was a fold or tear in the protective film. I took the photo after removing the film. The guy at the store asked me the same question.

15. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    The good news: the store said they will send me a replacement pickguard and a postage-paid package to return the bad one. Sooooooo, I went ahead and gave the guitar a nice set up and I LOVE it! :)

audept and GlenP like this.
  16. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    God to hear it work out, love th two tone green anniversaries, want one so bad lol.

17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    That is good news!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.