Finally did it...bought my first Gretsch!!

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
Welcome! I use 10s on all of my guitars. You should be able to keep yours in tune with any string gauge as long as the nut is properly dressed and the Bigsby tension roller isn't causing your strings to bind.

It's common for the nut to need a bit of filing. I wouldn't do it at home unless you've got proper nut files and experience—it can be tricky to get right, but an experienced luthier can do it in a few minutes.

If that doesn't solve the problem, the issue might be the Bigsby front roller. Try stringing your guitar overtop of the roller instead of under it. If that cures the tuning issues, you can replace the front roller with a Brick's BiggsFix, which will put less pressure on the strings and allow them to return to pitch more easily. Good luck!

Andrew Griffin

Synchromatic
Oct 22, 2015
Hello!!

I bought my first Gretsch last Friday. I got a G5655TG. It seems like it is essentially a Jet with F-holes, but that could be inaccurate. It is Cadillac Green with gold hardware and cream binding...a beautiful guitar. I've been drooling over Gretschs since I got into electric guitar and I am so excited to finally own one!!

Just curious, what gauge of string have y'all found to work best with the Bigsby? I use 10s on my Tele and Strat but I am considering trying 11s on the Gretsch as I think it might help it stay in tune a little better on the G and B strings (where it currently has issues).
pix or it didnt happen! but welcome anyway. Sounds like a great guitar.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
I bought my first Gretsch last Friday. I got a G5655TG. It seems like it is essentially a Jet with F-holes, but that could be inaccurate. It is Cadillac Green with gold hardware and cream binding...a beautiful guitar.

Wot ? Where are the pictures ? No pics ? Never existed ! o_Oo_Oo_O

"A Gretsch ! my Kingdom for a Gretsch !" (Shakespeare - Richard III.)
"You won't part with your Gretsch either" (Fender 60s ad.)
"Only a Gretsch is good enough" (Gibson 40s-50s ad.)

Of course, you could buy a Fender, a Gibson, a XXXXXXX, but it will never-never-never-never-never-never-never-never-never-repeat-etc... That Great Gretsch Tone and Look... :rolleyes::cool:

Worse : now you are trapped :eek: ! Unless you leave immediately and definetly the Gretsch-Talk forum to save yourself from the extreme danger of a rising Gretsch-a-Rama crisis :confused: , you are going to buy your next Gretsch guitar before you even know it... :oops:

Oh : and welcome, @nalgene ! :);)

A+!

BackRoomPicker

Electromatic
Jan 21, 2022
USA
Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here as well.

I have a 2013 5420t. I have a Compton bar bridge and use 11s. Everything seems to be going alright. I've been using this setup for years.

Latest posts