Finally did it...bought my first Gretsch!!

nalgene

Jan 20, 2022
Athens, GA
Hello!!

I bought my first Gretsch last Friday. I got a G5655TG. It seems like it is essentially a Jet with F-holes, but that could be inaccurate. It is Cadillac Green with gold hardware and cream binding...a beautiful guitar. I've been drooling over Gretschs since I got into electric guitar and I am so excited to finally own one!!

Just curious, what gauge of string have y'all found to work best with the Bigsby? I use 10s on my Tele and Strat but I am considering trying 11s on the Gretsch as I think it might help it stay in tune a little better on the G and B strings (where it currently has issues).

larryr

Synchromatic
Mar 6, 2012
Camarillo, Ca.
Welcome aboard. I use 10s on my guitar and do not have tuning issues. I did upgrade to a custom cut bone nut , tom and locking tuners and plenty of nut sauce.

rake_ether

Synchromatic
Aug 24, 2019
Athens, GA USA
Hi neighbor! Welcome to Gretsch world. Walking past Musician's Warehouse in downtown Athens and seeing the Gretsches through the window hooked me. I'm up to 4 now (although none bought at MW, don't tell Ed). I'm using 10.5-50 (Stringjoy) on my 5420 and 6119 Tenny.

GlenP

Country Gent
Jul 23, 2019
WA
Hello!!

I bought my first Gretsch last Friday. I got a G5655TG. It seems like it is essentially a Jet with F-holes, but that could be inaccurate. It is Cadillac Green with gold hardware and cream binding...a beautiful guitar. I've been drooling over Gretschs since I got into electric guitar and I am so excited to finally own one!!

Just curious, what gauge of string have y'all found to work best with the Bigsby? I use 10s on my Tele and Strat but I am considering trying 11s on the Gretsch as I think it might help it stay in tune a little better on the G and B strings (where it currently has issues).

The 5655 is a centerblock jr, smaller comfortable lap guitar, the wings are hollow and the center block is highly chambered. Even the Gretsch solid bodies are highly chambered. you can see some diagrams on the Gretsch guitars web site. I really like my centerblock jr, a jack of all trades, it's up to you to master them!

https://www.gretschguitars.com/support/specs-explained/builds

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
@nalgene

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a wonderful choice. I use 10's on my G5655-T without any tuning issues after I gave a little back relief (angle trim down slope on the nut toward the head stock for the G string. After I was done I added some nut lube to the string slots. The nut had a 90 degree cut on the G string for some reason. Five minutes with a file, and lube and it stays in tune. I am not a dive bomber, so the nut did require a slight adjustment.

Welcome my Friend.

nalgene

Jan 20, 2022
Athens, GA
Hi neighbor! Welcome to Gretsch world. Walking past Musician's Warehouse in downtown Athens and seeing the Gretsches through the window hooked me. I'm up to 4 now (although none bought at MW, don't tell Ed). I'm using 10.5-50 (Stringjoy) on my 5420 and 6119 Tenny.
Yeah, Ed was the first person to put a Gretsch in my hands but he didn't get my money either LOL

Latest posts