Filtertron Mounting Screws

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Stefan87, Jan 14, 2022 at 6:38 PM.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey Everyone,

Is there anything special about the screws used to mount filtertrons or can you get the same thing from the local hardware store? If so i will take a sample down.

Reason is I have pick ups and a guitar that needs pick ups and no screws, was hoping to install the FT next weekend but no music shops that i know of around me carry FT scews specifically.

Thanks.

2. tmcq65

tmcq65 Electromatic

Nov 10, 2021
    Pennsylvania
    The key would be getting the right size (width and length) and an oval head. A stainless steel screw might best match color-wise. If you have a good cabinet shop they may have decorative finishes like nickel.

section2 and Stefan87 like this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    If you're planning to screw the pickups into the guitar body, you're looking for #3 x 1.25" slotted oval head wood screws. If you're using adapter mounts and suspending the pickups from mounting rings, then you'll want #3-48 x 1" slotted oval head machine screws.

Nickel plating would be the best match for an HS Filtertron (unless your pickup is gold, of course).

If you can't find them at your local hardware store, you can order them from Philadelphia Luthier Tools, but I'd imagine they might take a while to get to you in Australia. I'm sure there's another source closer to you.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...otted-oval-head-wood-screw-filtertron-qty-10/

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...-adapter-plate-mounting-screws-nickel-qty-10/

Merc, emitex and Stefan87 like this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks @section2 will have a look to see if i can find those locally, you are a legend.

section2 likes this.
  5. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I order mine from tv Jones. I’ve found screws that are pretty close at a hardware store but they’re never quite right

new6659 and Stefan87 like this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Ace Hardware is your best bet, if any store would have them.

Stefan87 and KaHOnas like this.
  7. KaHOnas

KaHOnas Electromatic

Absolutely. Particularly the larger Ace's. They have a great à la carte section that has nearly every conceivable fastener. I would absolutely recommend bringing in what you're trying to match because with so many kinds, they can start to run together in appearance.

Are there Ace's in Australia? Any good hardware store should afford you the same selection.

Stefan87 and wabash slim like this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Ace is the only place where you can buy just one screw.

KaHOnas and Stefan87 like this.
  9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'll more then likely end up ordering them of TVJ if i can't find anything locally, just means ill have to wait a few weeks.

We don't have Ace but we do have a large hardware chain here so will head down and have a look, if not there are a few places that work ise that could help me out.

10. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 8:03 PM
    Stefan87 likes this.
  11. Cdb1961

Cdb1961 Gretschie

May 5, 2018
    Orange Park, Fl
    StewMac.com is always an option. They will ship quick and have the the stock.

Stefan87 likes this.
  12. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ok so haven't had much luck with local hardware stores.

Has anyone here used the Philadelphia Luthier screws?

If I have to order something in from the US then I might as well order a few other parts as it will cost me $35 in shipping, they have something I would ad to the order, I don't really need anything from TVJ right now so it wouldn't be worth going through them at the moment.

13. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    I've never ordered those screws but I've ordered other parts from them without issue.

Stefan87 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.