Fidelitrons for 5120?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Rexindigo, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    Hi, being a new Gretsch Owner waiting for delivery of G5120 (Ebay). i was wondering if changing Gretschbuckers to Fidelitrons would be an Upgrade? Got the Fidels from a friend for free. How would i have to mount them, they wont fit the gretschbucker frames?
    (Playing live for the last 42 years , mostly Telecaster an Strats, i like the idea of having a big hollowbody with a crisp clean twangy sound.) Any opinion is highly appriciated, thanx in advance. cheers Rex

michelb likes this.
  2. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I imagine that most would think so. Gretschbuckers are not bad pickups, it's just that they're not Gretsch-y. More Gibson sounding. So if you are looking for twang, Gretschbuckers probably are not going to be your cup of tea.

I can't speak to whether or not the Fidelitrons will get you any twang, as I have no experience with them.

Welcome to the forum!

3. davenumber2

davenumber2 Gretschie

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
  4. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    I'd bet it'll be just about the same process as installing HS Filtertrons. I got the TV Jones English mount kit and riser rings for putting Filtertrons in my 5120.

As far as the Fidelitrons sound, I was impressed by the neck pickup in my friends Cabronita. Pretty close to a Filtertron. Now, how do I get that Cabronita out of his hands long enough to make a quick escape with it? That is the question I have.

5. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I had a Fidelitron in a Barn-Caster of mine and I totally loved it. (Bridge position) Cool pickup and squarely in the filtertron-realm. Nothing wrong with it.

ZackyDog likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Depends on whether you consider a Filtertron sound an upgrade? If you like a Gibson humbucker sound than maybe not.

Music Store(Köln?) sells cheap Gretsch PU bezels under the Roswell brand.
    I’ve made brackets using popsicle sticks but they break easily. Maybe use the plastic of an old pickguard or backplate.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  7. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    Thanx for all the good advices, I see that the Fidelitrons should get me into the sound "ball park" Im aiming at.
    For mounting: with the fidelitrons came brass bars with two holes in each side, they fit with the screws through the pickups and I just found the dimensions of the english mounting ring, i`ll probably make them myself, or check out Musicstore. ill keep you informed on the progress

rockinforJesus and michelb like this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Rexindigo !
    German welcome mat.jpg

9. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    Thank You for Your Welcome!

Ive just ordered the mounting bezels from Musicstore, so now im waiting for shipping of the G5120, im very excited, hope the guitar is in good condition, the pictures on ebay look great.

MTurner likes this.
  10. Gregor

Gregor Gretschie

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Welcome to GT and good luck with your 5120 when it arrives. Very nice guitar(as in my avatar).

11. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Welcome, congratulations, and good luck!

12. Skibbers

Skibbers Electromatic

Feb 21, 2020
    Minneapolis
    My Gretsch buckers in my 2007 5120 were painfully bad. No highs at all. I put in GFS Mean 90’s and same story, no highs. I hope it’s not the guitar because I have TVJones on the way. If it still doesn’t have highs I’ll have to look at the harness cuz acoustically it sounds very nice.
    I think you’ll like your new pickups. I heard Gretsch buckers were changed for the better at some point but I don’t know what year that would be.

13. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    G5120 just arrived! Couldnt be happier! Very nice guitar, i even dig the Gretschbuckers so far. Low action good sustan. over my little Roland practice amp i have up here i do not find the guitar sounding dark at all.
    something is odd though, there is a round patch of felt unerdneath the tip of the tremolo arm. As far as i can see, there a similar Patch on one side of the Bigsby base plate where its touching the body. maybe just dislocated in transit, or is this normal? I would think that the felt patches would be on both sides under the bigsy...

Ricochet and MTurner like this.
  14. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    My '09 5120 has the felt patches on the Bigsby, too, in these places:

[​IMG]

1. under the left side of the body of the unit,
    2. under the cup in which the spring rests, and
    3. on the bottom of the tip of the arm.

15. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    Thank You MTurner! then its stock like this, found the patch under the spring as well, according to the
    serial number mine must be '09 too, ;-), btw. nice bridge you got on that guitar! and what are this round thingies between the strings, suppose to stop them from ringing?

MTurner likes this.
  16. davenumber2

davenumber2 Gretschie

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    I have to say I thought the Gretschbuckers on my 5122 sounded pretty good for a Gibson style PAF humbucker. They just don’t sound very Gretschy. I put in a set of Blacktop FT’s and enjoy the overall vibe much more now.

17. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    The rubber grommets are there to damp so-called "wolf tones." I experienced them, but I forget what causes them. Maybe harmonic vibrations that cause the strings behind the bridge to sound? If I recall correctly, they were not heard through an amp, and so were only annoying when playing unplugged.

The bridge is a stainless steel Compton. Check them out at "Compton Custom Compensated Bridges." The maker is a member of the forum.

18. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    By the way @Rexindigo , let me be the first to say, "You've got the guitar, so where are the pictures? Huh?"

:D

19. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    Dead Right, Pictures follow in short, i m still working in Home Office and have to attend a meeting, so after that.. ;-)

MTurner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice