Few Questions for the G2655 Jr Owners

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by Stefan87, May 26, 2021.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm still on the fence about doing pick up swaps on my jet vs buying something with P-90's in it and the new 2655-P90 Jrs have really caught my eye but have a few questions on the general feel of the guitars.

1. I have read about potential neck dive on them but has anyone actually experienced this and is it all that bad? I'd be looking at a non bigsby unit and I know I can work around it but was more curious then anything.

2. I know these are centreblocks but do these models lean more towards a solid body sound with focus and punch then the open hollowbody sound?
    Reason I ask is I have played the G5655 and all though it is a Jr sized centreblock it really had more of the hollow body mellow openness to it then I thought it would and am really wanting something with a bit more solidness to it if that makes sense.

3. Not sure if anyone will know this now but are the Gretsch version P-90s the same size as standard P-90s? would they be able to interchanged with a more traditional P90 if the gretsch ones don't quite get there.

I am looking at this as more of an every so often guitar sound not something I'd grab as a main guitar so not really wanting to spend big money as it may not get used as much as the rest of my guitars, originally tried the Epiphone LP Custom and ES339's which would be fine for what I'm want but just didn't like the fell of either.

I have tried the search function also but didn't really get a solid answer on the above so thought I'd ask the questions.

Thanks.

2. BoundandPurfled

BoundandPurfled Gretschie

Mar 22, 2012
    Oregon
    Neck dive isn’t noticeable to me, sounds much different than my hollowbodys, and I havnt a clue regarding the p90s

Stefan87 likes this.
  3. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

No neck dive here (but it's got a bigsby, that might make a difference).
    And the sound is still quite different from a solid body. There's openness in there, that remains a semi-hollow.

Gretsch G2655T GoldDust800.jpg

Edit: errrm, that pic is rather old, still doesn't have the G-arrow knobs. Which also are heavier than the plastic ones and sure add weight at the right place to prevent neck dive.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  4. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Hi @Stefan87
    After owning a 2655T for an year, I can confirm, the neckdive is not noticable.
    At least not on mine, which has Bigsby, as pointed out by @JeffreyLeePierre & @BoundandPurfled . Mine is all stock.
    Also, I use a 3inch wide strap, maybe that helps.
    As for the sound, with stock BT2S, it sounds more semi hollow and not out an out hollowbody.
    But definitely not solid body either.
    That's a thing which I like actually, it's got a character of its own.
    But the sound leans more towards rock, if I may put it that way.

No clue about P90's.

If possible, try one before buying.
    Cheers and all the best with your search.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
  5. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks @JeffreyLeePierre , @BoundandPurfled and @bhatta .

I thought that may have been the case with the whole neck dive issue or not being an issue, all great advice and looks like it may work for what I want.

Will get out and give one a try as soon as someone local actually gets the model in that I want.

6. azrielle

azrielle Electromatic

Feb 24, 2021
    Lund,NV USA
    I have a non-T 2655, and there is some definite neckdive. A decent strap helps.

7. MigueldeAlmeida

MigueldeAlmeida Electromatic

Apr 10, 2021
    Portimão, Portugal
    Sorry to hijack this thread but the model I'm referring is the same as the OP.
    So, I want to swap the nut on my guitar and would like to get Graph Tech's.
    The problem is that I see lots and lots of different types and I am not able to choose the right one.

I think some of you have already done this swap, got any info?

42,90 mm is the size of the nut.
    thank you

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.