Fender Tonemaster?????

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by cosmicCowboy, Feb 22, 2021 at 9:22 PM.

1. cosmicCowboy

cosmicCowboy Electromatic

Feb 11, 2021
    Texas hill country
    I’m not a snob and I don’t have issues with digital or modeling amps at all...

But at the prices fender is asking for the deluxe reverb and twin reverb I have to ask... who got ahold of the crack pipe?

GlenP likes this.
  2. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Country Gent

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I don't know but I'm smoking it and really enjoying it. Sold my tube Deluxe with no regrets. :eek::)

3. cosmicCowboy

cosmicCowboy Electromatic

Feb 11, 2021
    Texas hill country

4. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    That is probably my only reservation about them too, I mean where do they get the idea to charge so much for that special digital programming, digital downloadable updates, great features like the built in attenuator, a direct line out for PA or recording, the light weight speaker and cabinet, the classic Fendery sound and appearance, and, wait where was I going with this? Yeah, they just charge too much, but I still want one!

Shadowy_Man and T-Bawler like this.
  5. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    You're talking about the current replica Fender tube amps? $1400 and $1700?

It seems to me that all the tube amps are priced at what people are willing to pay. Some simple 5-watters for over $500, wow. But there are lots of models that seem reasonably priced.

Whenever there is a "What amp should I buy?" thread I'm usually the only one who talks up modelers.
    But probably the best value amp in the world right now is the $500 Fender Mustang GTX100. JMO.

Edit: I'd like to see a comparison review of the GTX100 and the Tone Masters but haven't found one yet. Fender might not want that comparison, but I suspect that the GTX might not handle pedals as well as the TM series does. The GTX does have the same outputs but no attenuator.
    The price of the Tone Masters?? I think it is high but market influenced too.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 10:55 PM
    GlenP likes this.
  6. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I have the tonemaster twin and couldn’t be happier. Finance one. Low monthly payments takes away the sting of how much it is. Really though well worth the price

Trash Kidd, calebaaron666 and GlenP like this.
  7. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    I would like to test one of those Tonemaster against a Fender Champion 100 and the same sim dialed

8. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Can't really give a valuable opinion. But I've heard and seen a lot of good things about them.

9. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    All i can say is the TM Deluxe Reverb is one of the best amps I’ve ever owned.
    Had mine almost a year now & love it.
    Sound wise you really can’t tell it’s not a tube amp!
    The built in attenuator means you can get awesome tones at bedroom levels & the DI is brilliant for recording or going out to a PA.. It weighs 23 pounds, i can lift it with my little finger!!!

10. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    I can't think of a better time to explore a custom amp. My exhaustive list of Fender amps over the years ranges from a Champ to a Vibro-King (including 2X12 extension speaker). Don't get me wrong, I have never had a bad Fender amp. IMHO the best were the recent Brownface Princeton (CS) Reissue and the Super Twin. That being said, they were peddled like all the other ones until I finally went piecemeal for a custom rig with everything I wanted:

1. Class A (single ended triode).
    2. 5F2A Tweed Princeton circuit with a modification (includes rectifier change) to allow use of 6V6, 5881, 6L6, and KT66 power tubes.
    3, Solid pine cabinets.
    4. Point to point wiring.
    5. EVM12L and EVM15L (ext.) speakers
    6. Matching 6G15 Reverb Unit.
    7. Great customer support.
    8. Enough money saved to buy a top notch cabinet mic (old school).

The link below points to my next (grab and go) amp and there is nothing digital about it. So take a quick look, and maybe innovation and value will get you thinking.

https://www.franklynamps.com/shop/p/franklynamps-5e3-deluxe-head-with-8-speaker

New Amp (2).jpg

T-Bawler and michelb like this.
  11. Buy one on sale, or when they offer a make offer option. I did. Saved a bit. Kills me to play new for almost any instrument as the value halves before it even gets to you. That being said, they amp is decent. And whatever it lacks compared to a real twin, the pretend twin is portable. I can take it to a gig, or even just into another room or m back yard, and not bust a rib.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  12. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I got a bit of a deal on mine, but would have gladly paid full for what I got! I love it so much I rid myself of my other dramatically expensive solid state, my Blues Cube. It's a Deluxe that I can line out or play on a single watt, and the ability to tweak the reverb is very very nice.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  13. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    Besides the price, I would have trouble enjoying an amp where I could not make discrete volume adjustments from the edge of breakup to a moderate breakup of the tube drive and pick attack sensitivity.

I play some songs and styles where this is required.
    When I want breakup at a modest or low volume, I use a boost pedal that allows me to drop the volume to nearly nothing while the volume on my amp is 5-7.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 5:06 PM
  14. jakjar123

jakjar123 Electromatic

Feb 14, 2021
    UK
    If you think that the TM is overpriced then surely so is the tube version? Big brands in general tend to overprice things, but keep in mind the TM version is about 95% of the tube in terms of sound. So you're paying 2/3 for something that's a close sound... But it has a built in attenuator, direct out, cab sim, foot pedal for the effects and is half the weight... I mean, the tube version might sound marginally better, but you're getting more functionality and convenience out of the TM, so if you say it's overpriced then I assume you also think that about the tube version? The TM isn't some cheap, let's put lots of cheap parts and give a random sound that most people don't like, it's an amazing amp that's very close but with less problems and more functionality. That's why it costs so much. Yeah it is "overpriced" but so is everything else.

GlenP and Trash Kidd like this.
  15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Everything Fender is "overpriced" because it says Fender on it.

I bought a drive pedal that costs about the same as the TM DR, so I am in no position to judge.

It is either worth it you, or it is not. To me, Fenders are not worth it and I'd prefer to support a business that isn't perhaps the largest musical instrument company in the world. I don't hate Fender, I would just prefer something else.

16. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    PS-I don’t have a Fender amp, but I do have a Tech21 SansAmp Blonde!

17. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I got mine a little less than I paid for my tube deluxe. I financed it and paid it off in a few whacks so it didn’t sting too bad.

I use mine all of the time. It’s awesome to have it down to 1 watt and still get good tones.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  18. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I was asleep at the switch when Fender offered the DR in Navy blue with a Celestion Blue speaker. I would have paid the price without regret. It's a hoot that a bunch of people we would like to sound like had cheap crappy stuff (amps) when they created their iconic sound. (Johnny Cash era.)
    We paid $300-400 apiece for the amps in my avatar in 1963ish. Super Reverb, Dual Showmans, and Bassmans. (Roughly the price of proline guitars of the day) My new "63 Chev SS was about $3,100. So todays prices for amps aren't that bad.

"Tubes pushin air" as my brother-in-law calls his amps. A solid-state amp is heresy to him. OTOH I can see many advantages in the TM amps.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 11:11 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.