Fender Tone Master Princeton

MIke M

Gretschie
Jul 28, 2021
Yes…this is somewhat confusing to me as well. I’ve gotten a decade out of tubes in a daily player.

I’d wager that my 50 year old Champ still has more years in it than a Tone Master.

In any case the amp sounds good in the demo.

People have a distrust in digital technology, which I understand, you can't take it to a neighborhood shop and have your local guys "fix" it.

But, and maybe this is just my experience, I don't think I have had a digital/computer device go down on me in like 15 years?

Phones, tablets, audio devices, iPod's, TV's, have all continued to work, they might have gone obsolete, but they didn't die on me.

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
People have a distrust in digital technology, which I understand, you can't take it to a neighborhood shop and have your local guys "fix" it.

But, and maybe this is just my experience, I don't think I have had a digital/computer device go down on me in like 15 years?

Phones, tablets, audio devices, iPod's, TV's, have all continued to work, they might have gone obsolete, but they didn't die on me.
I’ve had a few products that the manufacturer decided not to support any longer…it’s all good.

The obsolete angle is a guarantee, technology moves on.

It seems a nice amp. I don’t think anyone is foolish to get it or anything like that.

For my situation tubes work just fine.

MIke M

Gretschie
Jul 28, 2021
I’ve had a few products that the manufacturer decided not to support any longer…it’s all good.

The obsolete angle is a guarantee, technology moves on.

It seems a nice amp. I don’t think anyone is foolish to get it or anything like that.

For my situation tubes work just fine.

" I don’t think anyone is foolish to get it or anything like that."

That sounds like me when I said years ago that Cyndi Lauper was going to be bigger than Madonna, and Starbucks would never work in Manhattan because we have great diner coffer on every block.

All Thumbs

Gretschie
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas
Princeton 10" weighs 34 lbs (darn heavy for 12watts and 10" speaker). Tone Master P appears to be 20lbs. That's a lot of weight shaved off.

Personally would never buy a Fender amp.
Strange, Sweetwater says 26.65#, the Fender site says 19.9#.

aloner

Electromatic
Aug 24, 2021
Australia
" I don’t think anyone is foolish to get it or anything like that."

That sounds like me when I said years ago that Cyndi Lauper was going to be bigger than Madonna, and Starbucks would never work in Manhattan because we have great diner coffer on every block.
It's funny bc Starbucks has never worked in Australia because we had/have all these great coffee shops started by Greek and Italian immigrants and a huge barista/coffee culture that Starbucks is not even a flicker in ppls eyes apart from tourists - compared to how ubiquitous they are in America

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
It's funny bc Starbucks has never worked in Australia because we had/have all these great coffee shops started by Greek and Italian immigrants and a huge barista/coffee culture that Starbucks is not even a flicker in ppls eyes apart from tourists - compared to how ubiquitous they are in America

I personally can’t stand Starbucks. And I absolutely despise their coffee - tastes AWFUL imo. And I adore coffee!

aloner

Electromatic
Aug 24, 2021
Australia
I should say I don't compare these amps to Starbucks haha - I know people like them a lot, I'm sure the Princeton will be very popular especially for indie touring bands

hogrider16

Gretschie
Oct 18, 2017
charles town wv
Since they've jacked the price of a '65 Reissue to $1300, $900 for the Tone Master is a meaningful savings.

The Tone Master Twin is 31# lighter than the '65 Twin, the Tone Master DR is 19# lighter than the '65 DR. Nothing to sneeze at.

The Tone Master Princeton is only 7.35# lighter than the '65 Princeton. It actually weighs 3.65# more than the Tone Master Deluxe.
Actually I saw on the Tele forum tgat someone from Sweetwater chimed in and they have the weight wrong. It’s actually a little over 19 lbs.

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Anybody know how the circuitry in this thing compares to what they're using in something like a Mustang LT-50? Obviously, a big chunk of a Tone Master's cost is the recreation of the vintage look and performance, but if the digital tech operating in the background is similar between the two, then is it really worth the extra $600 to have an amp that looks like a Princeton?

I dunno, I realize the two amps have different design goals, but for a smallish practice/coffee shop amp, it's an odd thing to introduce. There's no shortage of product already that fills that slot.

Retro

Electromatic
May 27, 2011
Deephaven, MN
Put my 65 PRRI on a scale when I got it. Weighed 30 lbs. Had to replace the V1 tube (sounded "clanky" from the factory) otherwise no tube maintenance. I did upgrade the output tranny and speaker. Now weighs 35 lbs and sounds great!

MIke M

Gretschie
Jul 28, 2021
Anybody know how the circuitry in this thing compares to what they're using in something like a Mustang LT-50? Obviously, a big chunk of a Tone Master's cost is the recreation of the vintage look and performance, but if the digital tech operating in the background is similar between the two, then is it really worth the extra $600 to have an amp that looks like a Princeton?

I dunno, I realize the two amps have different design goals, but for a smallish practice/coffee shop amp, it's an odd thing to introduce. There's no shortage of product already that fills that slot.

I have a GTX and some Tone Masters.

The GTX is nice, but the TM's are in another league.

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
Dammit! I said a year ago that there should be a TM Princeton and now I have to think about it. Highroller’s question about the Mustang LT 50 (and maybe a Champion 40?) however do raise valid concerns .

edit: Mike M posted and answered the question while I was typing.

atomicwash

Electromatic
Dec 24, 2008
Madison, WI
I've never played a TM. I saw a classic country band a while back and the guitarist had a TMSR. It sounded like a Fender in the band mix and with typical bar noise. The guitarist said he was originally a naysayer and that he's totally happy with the amp.

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
This is truly a solution in search of a problem.

Inevitably all of these models will come out in a super-amp format all-in-one unit.

And likely a online subscription virtual format as well with a foot controller.

LesB3

Gretschie
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
Fender's emulation of itself. First the real thing - phenomenal. Then the RIs - ok. Now the CGI clones - meh. And its not like I don't want to like them. I've tried them, both the Twin and the Deluxe (not the current offering here). Yes they're lite. Yes they look like Fenders. Yes they sort of sound like Fenders. But don't kid yourself. Something gets lost in every translation. That is, everything but money for Fender. Which is fine for the company I suppose. If I'm gonna use this type of technology, I'd just as soon go with a plugin like Amplitube. Otherwise, I'll stick with real tubes for as long as I can...
Agree. I was tempted by the prospect of a super-light Super Reverb, but can't justify sending SO much money to China for something that was only (as you call it) "meh" performance-wise.

Awesome that it was so light, but wouldn't lay that sort oif cash down just to save a few LB's. I'll grab a used ("real") DR for the same cash instead.

All Thumbs

Gretschie
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas

When the Tone Masters first came out, Fender said they had more computing power for just the reverb than modelers like the Mustang use for the whole amp. For what it's worth.

This is the video that convinced me to take a chance.

Last edited: