Fender Tone Master in Blonde

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by calebaaron666, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I'm confused by comments by owners of the TMDR concerning updates.

There is no USB port on my TMDR and I certainly did not buy this amp expecting to upgrade it.

As far as the reverb goes my reverb is about exactly the same to operate as my tube version was. I hadn't even noticed or considered a need to change it.
    My reverb is set to just over 2 where it always was on th DRRI.

If I want a different speaker I can fit one but this amp was modelled on the best example of a DR Fender could find and I will remain happy with the black one.

Drifter, Robbie, G5422T and 2 others like this.
  2. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    This is what I expected when I read of the "blonde upgrades"... when I read the reverb control had been "tweaked", I knew immediately what that meant... the Fender reverb has ALWAYS been touchy (zero to hero very quickly), and I'm sure the Fender guys replicated that in the TM amps.... but people are never satisfied, and wanted a more subtle reverb control, I'll bet. It's not like the originals the amps copy, but it's "what people want".

Gretschmen65 and G5422T like this.
  3. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Still like my TMDR a lot. I’m not concerned about upgrades. The mini USB is located on the bottom of the “chassis”. Not easy to locate but it’s there.

I’m holding out for a TM Super. LOL

Anacharsis, ruger9 and G5422T like this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    You should hear the Les Paul guys that bought the authentic '59 std last year for $7000.00 when they come out with a new ultra super custom shop true authentic '59 with hide glue the very next year.:D

Gretschtim1, calebaaron666 and G5422T like this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Oh I bet that there were folks twisted tighter than a 1/8" nut under a high impact wrench! Lol

I can see why too.

6. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    We all know that tone is in the glue.....

7. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Thanks Robbie, guess I should have looked up the manual. :rolleyes:

8. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    No problem, it’s not easy to locate that’s for sure.

9. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    wizard_23 likes this.
  10. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    here is my future proof "cave man" set up.... never lets me down
    5150 DSL100h.jpg

Jeff67 and G5422T like this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Same here! I get all I want out of it, and honestly.....I don’t use the reverb on the amp. Nice that it’s there, but I use pedals for verb.

Robbie, Trash Kidd and calebaaron666 like this.
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I agree. Didn't this amp just come out last year and it was the perfect amp and sounded just as good or better than the real thing. If so why are they changing it already? Improved reverb, different speaker? I thought it was perfect already...:D.

capnhiho and G5422T like this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal

manunk, Jeff67 and Gretschtim1 like this.
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Oh that guy had me laughing and I don't even know what he was saying.
    With that guy in charge Gibson is going places!

Jeff67 likes this.
  15. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    So glad to see this thread! I was about to pull the trigger on a used TM Twin but I'll gladly wait for the blonde tolex/oxblood grille version. Having owned three tube Twin Reverbs in the past 13 years and have moved all three on, I'm really stoked to get the TM version in blonde without the weight. Now to hope that more of my gear on Reverb sells soon! :cool:

16. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    IMHO I believe it all comes down to Marketing. In a way similar to how many different Strats and Teles there are.

new6659 and TSims1 like this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Yep. There’s only one strategy by every single company and manufacturer in the whole entire world regardless of product. Get the dollar OUT of your(my)wallet, and put it IN theirs.

It’s a very simple formula that has worked for a very long time. Even the tube amp diehards have been hit by it. Bassman is awesome! Oohhh....so is the Deluxe Reverb........oh wow, a PRO Reverb....!!! Lol. It’s all the same. The new version of the old game is merely technology based, which brings some wonderful advantages for some of us. :)

18. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Given Fender's track record, that is very likely... and the biggest mistake they could make.

By all accounts, these amps are a huge success. And they need to keep SOME things in their line- just like they've ket the Deluxe Reverb in their line for decades- instead of constantly working the "new stuff" model every few years. When you get something REALLY good (which- again- by all accounts, the TM series is), you stick with it.

19. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    First thing I'll do is put some cream cupcake knobs to give it a more brownface/early blondeface look even though it will still be a blackface amp. :cool:

20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    All three of these comments touch upon the same thing; companies have to have something to sell you and the consumer has to have a reason to buy.

Guitars built 70 years ago are compatible with amps built 70 seconds ago, and vice versa. This is truly remarkable. I’d be shocked if there were one common part between a 1950 Ford and a 2020 Ford. They both run on gasoline, but that’s about the limit of compatibility. Given the choice between a NOS 1950 Ford and a 2020 Ford, the 2020 would be the obvious choice if you intended to use it for transportation. Given the choice between a NOS 1950 Telecaster and a 2020 Telecaster, the choice wouldn’t be so obvious. A 70 year old Tele is entirely viable in our day.

So how do guitar and/or amp manufacturers convince players to buy their wares? The only thing they can do is come up with variations on existing designs. So we have an endless stream of limited editions, special runs, etc. It’s the same reason that McDonald’s brings McRibs in and out of their menu.

The thing that is unique to our time comes down to bits vs atoms. It’s entirely possible to change a product with a software upgrade. The TC Electronic Plethora X5 is a perfect example. This product is basically a package for DSPs. It would be feasible for TC Electronic to add or subtract products from the Plethora with a simple software change. They already have added a tuner and it would be a simple matter for them to make all sorts of changes to the product, because the hardware is simply a physical interface for the software which does the heavy lifting.

In the Plethora, I can understand that. A DSP can do a great deal in the effects arena and I think the TC Electronic has shown us the path forward. When it comes to amps, I'm not so easily convinced. My amps all remain in the realm of atoms, not bits. I could "update" an amp with new filter caps, or modifying the Tone Stack by changing values, but the functionality of the amp remains forever bound to the physical. Its logic is embedded in the design.

As a person that spends a lot of time on the software update merry go-round, I don't welcome it into the world of my amps or guitars. The idiotic tuning system Gibson forced upon its customers is another recent example of the tail wagging the dog. In that case, a software driven feature intruded upon the functionality of a hardware product. I won't be spending any of my hard-earned on such products.

ruger9 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.