Fender Tone Master in Blonde

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by calebaaron666, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
  2. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Everything is better with usb and/or bluetooth :p

Uncle Daddy likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Guys... just to be clear, these are blonde TOLEX amps, not blonde CIRCUIT amps... big difference. These are still Blackface circuits, in blonde tolex...

If they had a blonde CIRCUIT Bassman, I'd be getting in line.

Drifter likes this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'll play the old cave man.

I was actually starting to get interested in these until this thread hit.

Fender offering different colors of tolex and grill clothes is a good thing. People have their favorites, and it keeps sales going.

What bothers me is software updates/questions on new factory downloads etc. Why?

I come from an industrial/electrical background. If I had a dollar for every time that I plugged into a USB port, I would be rich.

Yes it's easy. Will Fender offer upgrades for existing amps? Maybe, maybe not.

One thing for sure is the inevitable that will happen with any electronic device with programming........."Factory support is no longer available for this series."

The imfamous EOL (End of life statement) that also has the footnote to look at the new series "xxx" that has replaced this series.

Again, playing cave man. It's an amp, I want to turn it on and make noise, not download updates for a short period of time before it's another throw away electronic device.

Ok, my knuckles are skinned up and I'll quit! Lol

S.R.Cash, Gretschtim1, Dave-B and 3 others like this.
  5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I agree completely. The “Agile Development” model has made it fashionable to rush code out the door, then patch it in response to the consequences. With some products, there is an endless cycle of upgrades which inconvenience and confuse end users.

The firewalls I manage are first class, but the VPN client software seems to be in continuous flux. This results in end users whom are justifiably skeptical of being forced into updates when the version they had 6 months ago worked much better. So the merry go round never stops and it’s all in the name of “security”, but I suspect that the root cause is more related to unrealistic development schedules and pre release testing that has become all but meaningless.

The same thing is happening with consumer electronics. Every so often, my Smart TV will demand an update. Likewise my BluRay player. WTH???? The things I use have been working just fine, but it pesters me endlessly until I update the software, usually with little foreknowledge of the consequences. Sure, I can sift through their release notes, but that’s the sort of thing I do to make a living and I would like my leisure products to be a refuge from all of this crapola.

I don’t expect that I’ll be buying any amps with USB ports.

cqscqs, Jeff67, Dave-B and 4 others like this.
  6. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I bought the TMDR a few months back and returned it the same day. It was creating this really nasty fizzy tone that sounded like the speaker was sliced. I read around and found a few others that had the same issue. No known fix but it seemed most opted for an exchange with success. Now, I know it was a dud but after that experience, I wasn't comfortable getting another one and having to risk the same issue later when it's too late to return or exchange. To my knowledge, there are some components that can be repaired of fixed. I love the concept of this (and I own an Iridium) but I still have trust issues.

G5422T likes this.
  7. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Amen, brother!!
    While the TM amps purported tone (I haven’t yet heard one in person) and light weight are appealing, the thought (fear?) that Fender will pull the plug on support on some corporate-decided date in the future definitely influence me to lean toward spending the same money on a real tube amp that can be repaired and serviced for decades to come.

If that makes me a frugal dinosaur - so be it. I guess I’m more of an investor than a consumer.

Jeff67, Telechamp and G5422T like this.
  8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    One "dino" to another "dino" yep, I'm frugal too.

More money than I want to spend on a future "paper weight."

Some cool features, very portable, but if I do live another 10 years, I still want to be playing my initial investment, not just looking at it.

Caveman checking out! Lol

Jeff67 and capnhiho like this.
  9. manunk

manunk Gretschie

I'm thinking of getting a TM, but I do like pedals. Can anyone recommend a great tube amp that is a great platform for pedals (including distortion).

10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I would start a new thread and list your needs as far as needed wattage and speaker size(s).

I'm sure that you'll get good feedback.

11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've actually been considering a TR for a while but i keep coming back to the same question, when will i ever use it? They are stupid cheap right now (SF) and i love how they sound but.......
    I already have a 50w Ampeg and it rarely gets turned on, my 5w amps see almost all of my playing.
    Yet i still gas for a Twino_O

G5422T likes this.
  12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Nothing is future proof anymore, its the every shifting flow of tech innovation. We go as we do, we do as we go. :) Anybody need a 90s Line6 kidney bean pod? :) ..lightly used

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    They are great, but I rarely break mine out. I have a 40 watt Winfield Elizabeth which gets almost as loud and handles the lower volume situations more gracefully. I have used the Twin for outdoor gigs, but that's about it.
    The sad thing is, we spend a lot of time learning new tech, before the old tech has even collected any dust.

14. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Hmm, always think that kinda behaviour is a bit disrespectful to your customers who bought the amp recently.. yeah, we fixed problems and upgraded specs.... on a recently released amp? On a positive note, you get an old style amp with current technology.... but current for how long

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    This is my type of modern technology.

upload_2020-8-12_15-10-28.png

Even the Wizzer has heavy duty, industrial grade components that are basic in their own way

16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I was just playing my Falcon thru my Tone Master. Still sounds great!

Jeff67 and G5422T like this.
  17. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I have this strange relationship with technology... I mean, I have a 2016 phone. It does what it supposed to do. It handles all the apps I need. It calls and send messages. It even has a tuner or a recorder for my music ideas. Do I really need an upgrade just because it fixed ‘the White too white’ problem or because it has the ‘slow-slow motion’? I don’t think so.
    The same could apply to the TM... you may like or you may not, but as long as it delivers what it’s supposed to deliver, do you really need an ‘upgrade’ or a better fixture on the tremolo? C’mon. You tried it, you liked it, you enjoyed it and you keep playing it at home, or in studio, or at gigs... you got what you supposed to. Do you really need to care about how long this so called ‘software’ would be available before being discontinued? My wife has an old IPhone with an old OS that works perfectly for what she needs. She doesn’t care if there will be no more updates or if she couldn’t get the latest app. It’s a phone, it has to call, send messages and handle the mail.
    Same story for the TM: it’s an amp, it has to deliver some good Fender sound. Do you really have to worry about the day when another software upgrade will make a new TM better, if yours delivers what it’s supposed to?.
    It’s an amp. Crank it up to 10, play the first chord of I Can’t Explain, and have fun.
    Leave the hi tech matters to the nerds. They live for it. :)

Henry, S.R.Cash, cowmoo and 2 others like this.
  18. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I’m still loving my Tone Master Deluxe Reverb!
    This is a fantastic amp &sounds great live & in the studio..

Tech stuff like upgrades etc doesn’t really bother me. It sounds like an awesome Deluxe Reverb, that’s why I bought it.
    what would I want to upgrade it too? ;)

19. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    If finding an uncorrupted copy of the last firmware release for an EOL product to keep it running becomes the next NOS vacuum tube, then I’m OK with it. What would be a problem is a “Sonos-esque” endless stream of forced upgrades that frequently lead to a degrade in performance.

I may or may not be able to stop not buying one of these if it comes out in blonde/wheat.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  20. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    It does sound like a great amp and a great concept, I'd love one too. Blonde or not, tweaked or not

G5422T, Trash Kidd and calebaaron666 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.