Fender Surf Green and Sonic Blue case

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Merc, May 22, 2020.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Ya know mom warned you about going on line when you haven’t take‘n your medication....

thunder58, Merc, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  2. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I think those are cool cases.

But I don't like any logo on the side of a case. If someone were in a position to steal a guitar which case would they choose? Maybe the fancy colored one with the metal Fender logo?
    I especially don't like the giant letters screaming "Gretsch" or "Fender" or whatever.

And I'm frugal (cheap!) and have paid as little as $60 (on sale) for hard cases and found they are decent and a good value. My best are two Road Runner cases that were around $140 retail on sale for less than $100. The Musician's Friend tweed case is really nice, especially when on sale. I paid around $70-$90 for most of my cases and only buy when on sale.
    I don't think those $200 Fender cases are any better quality than those on sale for around half that.

And I agree that even Gretsch makes it hard to determine which case you need. When looking for one that fit my G2622 none listed that model and I had to check reviews for buyers stating what guitar they owned. I finally tried a generic 335 case from Silver Creek that fit perfectly.

Merc likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    LOL ......

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    They're cool lookin case for sure,pricey ,yes,but i paid £249 for a reissue Rickenbacker case ,the silver one.

I'd need a geet to go in it though;)...i don't like the sound of them having a smell though,that's why i bought the new Rick case,the one i had made my guitars front binding turn yellow and it didn't smell the best ,it's ok now though.
    That reminds me ,anyone want to buy a used Rick 300 series case with it's own unique odor ,go on ,you know you want it...:D

Merc likes this.
  5. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    How old was the Rick when it turned yellow and was it a poly finish? I always thought it was normal on modern poly finishes.

6. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I learned by accident the value of "pretty" cases:

I had a guitar just back from the shop in a brand new Gretsch white cowboy style case with tan trim so it was out from where it usually resides in the dark nether regions of my home. The lead style councillor in my residence noticed the case and said she liked that and didn't mind that I left that guitar case in plain sight in the living room.

So if a case in sonic blue or sea foam green hits the mark in this same way, the somewhat unpalatable price I may be able to overlook to be able to access a guitar or two without the usual Indiana Jones opening sequence tactics I normally have to go through to get them out.

Merc likes this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    The Rick is a 1999 360V64 ,i'm not sure what Rickenbacker use ,i don't think it's poly ,i believe it's some kind of conversion varnish.

But it only yellowed the front binding ,the back binding was fine,i did a bit sleuthing at the time and it turns out it probably was the glue that was used in the lid of the case.
    This was the 300 series molded cases ,but mine was a later one with a black interior ,funny ,when i had my 330 it had the same case but it had a blue interior and was fine,so something changed along the way.

Merc likes this.
  8. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Well, I have a sunburst strap.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Merc, thunder58 and audept like this.
  9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Nice, I hadn’t seen that one yet.
    What is the strap in the front , and do you have the matching shoes? :)

Merc and Telechamp like this.
  10. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Both are Walker & Williams straps. Actually, I have both straps on Strats now - the sunburst one on a sunburst Strat (duh), and the southwest concho-style on my Agave Blue Strat.

Still looking for the matching concho shoes, though...

The two straps:

https://walkerandwilliams.com/produ...special-black-padded-strap-with-studs-rivets/

https://walkerandwilliams.com/product/sunburst-strap-with-pick-pockets-and-padded-suede-back/

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Merc and Ricochet like this.
  11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Telechamp likes this.
  12. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks, Merc! Yeah, I love the pick holders on the end, too. I thought they were superfluous at first - but when you drop your pick, you've got another two right there!

[​IMG]

Merc likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I already saved the Walker & Williams to my phone. Maybe this Christmas from the wife. :)

Telechamp likes this.
  14. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    That's exactly what these were - Christmas presents from my wife! You must be psychic... :eek:

Merc likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    My koi strap is a Walker and Williams as well and has the black edges. The dye or stain left black marks on my Broadway Jade Penguin. I was ready to tear someone apart but with a little elbow grease it came off. Just a heads up. I contacted them and they know it happened and will fix what they can in production to try and keep from having it happen to someone else.

Merc likes this.
  16. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Hmm.. That is odd. I'm not at all saying it didn't happen with your Penguin, but that's the first I've heard of that kind of issue with W&W straps..

I've got four W&W straps and never had this type of problem with them. (Not affiliated with W&W in any way - just a fan of the straps..)

And I've had a Walker & Williams brown leather strap on my Alpine White Les Paul for over three years now, with no sign of marking the guitar whatsoever. I keep this strap on the LP at all times unless the guitar is in its case. And I keep the guitar out on a stand 90% of the time w/ the strap on it.

Just my experience..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

new6659 and Merc like this.
  17. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I always rolled my strap up and put it under the neck in the case I believe the dye or black wax whatever it was was a bit heavy and the snug for kept the edge pressed on the guitar neck. There is a thread here from when it happened with pictures. Like I said I filled in WW and the thanked me and wanted to know if I wanted to return the strap. I kept it and have since stripped some of that back off and do not keep it under the neck just in case.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Telechamp likes this.
  18. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I see. Yeah, sounds like maybe the strap laying so close to the finish in the case is what did it. That's not good for the strap to bleed onto the guitar, though - that's for sure.

I'll have to keep an eye on my white LP, since this happened to your guitar - but so far so good (fingers crossed).

Bertotti likes this.
  19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'd love one in Sonic Blue but not at that price.

G5422T likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    When I rubbed a white cloth on the edges the black just rubbed off on the cloth. If yours doesn’t do that you are probably fairly safe.

Telechamp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.