Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Fender super champ xd

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Beatlecharles, Jul 16, 2017 at 3:52 PM.

1. Beatlecharles

Beatlecharles Electromatic

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    hi I have come across a fender super champ xd second hand that may be in my price range ? Any good for a Gretsch classic sound ?

2. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    I have the Super Champ X2, very similar, just a generation later. The Xd has many tone options. I'm sure you can find a sound you like.

3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Charles, the Super Champ XD is a pretty good little amp and a step up from the Mustangs and a leap up from the solid state Vox amps. As an FYI I have owned the Mustang III, the SCXD and the SCX2. The SCXD and SCX2 can get you some real tube sounds and are decent amps for the money. If you have one in your budget I think you will be much happier long term than with the others.

Many folks replace the speakers in them with an Eminence Ragin Cajun. I did and it really made the little amp bloom but you have lots of time to do that. In the meantime they sound good,

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Beatlecharles

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    Cheers

6. Beatlecharles

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    Thanks Tony that helps

7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    Cool. Keep us posted.

8. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Seems a good choice. I saw a demo vid with one ugraded to a Celestion Gold, and was blown away by the versatility.

Edit. Here...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 10:43 PM
  9. Beatlecharles

Jul 4, 2017
    Derbyshire UK
    The guy who us selling it says he has upgraded it with new Russian valves , this means nothing to me ....does it to anyone else ?

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    Likely Sovtek tubes. They are good tubes.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    All tubes are now made in Russia, a few brands in Slovakia and China.
    Your seller was trying the usual seller BS on you.
    He's just put new tubes in it is all - allegedly.
    And you don't know which tubes either - the pre-amps or the power tubes - or both.

You'll never know if it improved anything.
    And if you wanna know whether the new tubes he allegedly put in it are suited to that amp you'll have to check em yourself and do some research on those specific tubes.

Different types of tubes from different makers are suited to different amps and the type of tones the user wants.
    It's not possible to generalise and say that one brand of tube is better than another.

12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Is that the video you say shows versatility ??

13. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sure, all things being relative. Why? It's not even a pimple on your 3000 dollar boogie?:D

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Mark V 25 is only $1200 new but...... relatively speaking 2-3 usable tones on any amp, anytime is extremely non versatile imo. So that's why I was wondering if that's the video you meant :)

15. ronbo

ronbo Gretschie

Feb 28, 2012
    Broomfield, Colorado
    Love my X2 (same as the XD really with more programmable capabilities via the Fender Fuse interface), best little bedroom amp I've ever owned, and I've tried a bunch in the last couple of years. I really like that all the effects are easily accessible on the front panel, so pretty easy to get some good sounds out of it. I need to make a little cheat sheet to remember the amp models and my favorite settings...

It sounds great with all three of my Gretsches...with Hilotrons, Filtertrons and Dynasonics, as well as my Reverends and other guitars. Nice fender sparkle when played clean, the reverb is usable and easily controlled, the overdrive and heavier-sounding amp models are pretty good also. Now I don't need to keep extra pedals in my back room, I can just plug and play!