Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Fender set to replace rosewood fretboards

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Gimper, May 19, 2017.

1. Gimper

Gimper Gretschie

Oct 30, 2016
    Ont, Canada
    Fender set to replace rosewood fretboards on Mexican-made and American Elite guitars and basses

On 2 January this year, the CITES law came into force, putting restrictions on how rosewood is traded across international borders - we're now seeing the first effects of the legislation, as Fender announces plans to cut down on its use of the wood.

According to Andertons, from June/July, all Mexican-made and American Elite guitars and basses will no longer feature rosewood fingerboards.

Mexican models will switch to Pau Ferro, a wood similar to rosewood that has previously been used in the Stevie Ray Vaughan signature Strat.

American Elite models, on the other hand, will come equipped with ebony.

It's likely other manufacturers will follow suit in the coming months, so a word of warning to rosewood fans: get your guitar-buying in now.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/fend...an-made-and-american-elite-guitars-and-basses

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/fender-rosewood

T simmons, Ricochet, ZackyDog and 2 others like this.
  2. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    What I find pretty astonishing about these new CITES regulations is the fact, that rosewood is affected, but ebony is not, though as far as I know, it is similarly endangered as rosewood, maybe even more.

Ricochet, loudnlousy and Mudshark like this.
  3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Ebony on the Elite series....interesting.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Clear to see this will affect all companies including Gretsch.

6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    And suddenly I will be buying an Elite Series. :)

7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I always prefered ebony over rosewood anyway.....

8. Fjrabon

Fjrabon Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    Atlanta
    I'm a rosewood guy. But mostly just because I don't like Ebony and rosewood is usually the only fretboard that doesn't come with a poly coating on top. As long as the Pau Ferro is uncoated, I'll be fine with it.

9. Gimper

Gimper Gretschie

Oct 30, 2016
    Ont, Canada
    I like what Bob Taylor is doing with Ebony...

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Ando, MTurner and Hammerhands like this.
  10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    After playing ebony, I find rosewood a bit meh.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  11. Gretsch-Talk

Gretsch-Talk Administrator Staff Member

May 26, 2008
    Hill Country, TX
    Armygirl, Ricochet and audept like this.
  12. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yes, but that won't rescue this endangered species. It is a joke, that CITES regulates rosewood, but not ebony.

Ricochet likes this.
  13. Gimper

Gimper Gretschie

Oct 30, 2016
    Ont, Canada
    I think Richlite wants to be in this conversation. ;)

14. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I totally hate Richlite, but I fear some day the synthetic guitar will be standard. The first company got specialized:

http://aristidesinstruments.com/story

15. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    PS: I think, what's important is, that consumers become aware of the problem of endangered species and how dramatic it already really is.

16. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Thanks, Mark. The actual steps Fender is taking are pretty half-assed. Trying to look good but not making any real changes. Basically it's Pau Ferro for MIM, Ebony for US made, rosewood still for everyone else, including Gretsch.

18. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Ebony is CITES Appendix II, just like rosewood, but the special attention is being paid to rosewood due to demand for rosewood furniture skyrocketing in China.

It's not a guitar issue, it's a furniture issue, fretboards are collateral damage to the real problem. Unfortunately most of the time the 80% who follow the law are punished along with the 20% that don't.

Aymara likes this.
  19. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    In some circles Pao Ferro would be considered a upgrade over Rosewood. :)
    I'm surprised it isn't more endangered than Rosewood. Of course these things are all about making the big political correct arm waving gesture.

20. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    The great thing about bureaucrats, particularly the bunch in Brussels, is that Pao Ferro can be added to the list with the stoke of a pen.... along with whatever else becomes popular as a result of their previous actions.

HBob and Ricochet like this.
  21. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It's long been time to move away from the use of guitar woods that are favored primarily because they've "always" been. There are lots of species that could be very good replacements for the traditional ones, with no loss of quality.

One example: persimmon wood is an ebony species, so has all the same characteristics. Osage orange from Texas is just as hard.

Here's a good article from American Lutherie on the subject. Emphasizes the most perfect expression in the guitar world: "psychoacoustics" - we hear what we want and expect to hear, unmoored to any objective evidence.

http://www.guitarnation.com/articles/calkin.htm

Robbie likes this.