Fender Rumble bass amps

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by T Bone, Jun 16, 2021.

1. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

So still considering options for a bass amp. Looks likely to be a Fender Rumble (I like the Markbass stuff but the Rumbles sound good, are more affordable, and this is after all not my main instrument).

The difference from the Rumble 200 to the Rumble 500 is to me a no brainer (same size, same weight, with discount less than $100 more). I think the multiple 10 inch speakers of the 500 may also be more desirable to me than the single 15 inch of the 200. So I may go for the 500.

But the 100 is also interesting to me. Roughly half the price, 20% smaller and almost 40% lighter. A bit underpowered though. Mostly will be used at home for solo practice. Might occasionally be used jamming with others. If I go to a club jam, backline is usually provided around here.

So is it worth even considering the little underpowered 100 watt with it's 12 inch speaker? Even at double the cost, the 500 isn't really cost prohibitive, under $550 tax included after discount.

2. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Not gigging out, practice & jamming at home - residential neighborhood = the 100 would be my choice. Gigging out the 500 no questions, but in home use the 100 should treat you well. If you need more power at home the cops will be there questioning your sanity. 100 is a lot in most private homes.

T Bone likes this.
  3. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I have the small Rumble 25 and it sounds quite decent.

T Bone and 19MGB76 like this.
  4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I bought my younger brother (50+ years experience) a new Rumble 500 last year and he loves it. Currently playing a few open mic nights a week (now that things are finally opening up again) and it is big enough for everywhere he's played.
    I would guess it is way more than most of us need at home, and would be idling at home volumes.

I bought a bass guitar just to play around with and love it but I play through my two Fender Mustangs at home. Sounds great with all the model amps and pedals and I've never turned it up loud enough that I was worried about damaging the speaker. Originally I had planned to buy a small bass amp but at this point I don't think I need it.

I'm not buying much these days but still check FB and CL at least once a week and there are always interesting bass amps for sale that seem to be really cheap (but I'm no expert and do lots of research before I buy).
    I live in a huge city with lots of stuff for sale and naturally you have to play them to judge but it looks like there are some good used deals out there, especially if only for home use.

19MGB76 and T Bone like this.
  5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My son had a Rumble 350 with two 10" and a switchable tweeter. It was powerful enough for stage use and sounded really good - especially for the modest tariff. I would think the 500 would be very similar.

I have a tiny Rumble 15 for the occasional time my bass player comes over to work on a specific part of a song and yes, I let him in the house.

T Bone likes this.
  6. BennytheJet

BennytheJet Electromatic

Dec 6, 2019
    Arlington, WA
    My brother owned a Rumble 500 for a bit. He gigged with it for a season and found that it worked fine for indoor and outdoor venues. However, it started acting up after several shows. He brought it in to a tech and the guy said the motherboard was on its way out and that it would cost the worth of the amp to fix it. Yikes!

He was able to sell it off before that happened, but it seems to be a problem for that amp. Maybe newer models have remedied it?

He ended up just picking up a used Peavey Minimax 500 bass amp that is far more reliable. It's just the head, so he does have to cart around a small cabinet, but he likes it much more than the Rumble. The head/cab set is about the same size as the Rumble 500.

I play with another friend who has a Rumble 100 or 200 (can't remember). It works just fine for him, and he bought his new so it came with the warranty.

Either way, it's a great value and pretty easy to dial in a good sound.

Enjoy!

T Bone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.