Fender Esquire - This Looks Pretty Cool for the Money.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by G5422T, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I love that butter or banana pudding yellow. That's why I shot vintage white nitro on snakehead replica. It's not all the way there, yet, but it will be. Doesn't look like it in this pic, but it really is yellowed.

Snakehead 1.JPG

2. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

This is my MIM , I love it and it's purdy
    100_2263.JPG 100_2264.JPG 100_2265.JPG

Merc, Randy99CL, G5422T and 1 other person like this.
  3. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I love the look of an esquire
    I want one someday, but I really like a tele neck pickup. I also use the middle position on a tele more than most people I know.

Medium John, Jeff67 and new6659 like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I love cheapo Squiers(I own 7) they make nice modding platforms. I think the Classic Vibes might actually be the first Squier not needing any mods.
    Sure they can be improved upon, like any guitar, but I feel there is less of a necessity or urgency if you will.
    If I was gigging I’d happily bring my ‘50s CV blonde along. I’m not really familiar with newer MIMs but somewhere above someone stated the CVs are better than ‘90s MIMs and I would have to agree. Try one!

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yep, seems to be a pretty good guitar as is.

What I do like is the 4 screw bridge with 3 barrel saddles.

Maybe my old Callaham bridge needs something to be mounted on again! No cost upgrade since I've had it a long time.

Total weight will be interesting IMO. Pine for the bodies can vary quite a bit, depending on the type of pine.

Also wonder about how many pieces of pine will be the norm for bodies.

Not a biggy at this price IMO. If you have to have it just the way you want it, the custom shop can build one for $4k or more! Lol

Dang color combo makes my mind wander for an Esquire, but I really don't need another guitar.

Ricochet likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Same boat here. I adore the guitar but can’t, I really can’t.
    I might cheat and install an Esquire pickguard on one of my other Teles(with some minor rewiring).

G5422T likes this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yeah, the $400 would cover the cost of fine tuning a couple in my existing herd. Plus, cover the cost of a good one piece Esquire guard for my existing Tele.

Not sure if I want to do this, but it may happen.

Trying to stay on track and getting all of mine set up perfectly. I'm close, but getting distracted! Lol

Ricochet likes this.
  8. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Sorry to ask: what's the difference between an Esquire and a Tele set on the bridge pickup only?

9. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Mud switch! :D

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    No embarrassment here on my end . In fact , the price jumped $50 about a week after I bought mine . Love it too . Regarding the neck , comfortable for me with my small hands but that's coming from a Martin 12 string guy IMG_2662.JPG

11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    This thread has got me thinking about modding a Tele also. I've seen the bodies and necks and kits and making an Esquire seems like a good reason to throw something together. There are plenty of Esquire pickguards available and some good wiring diagrams like this one:
    fa029b0525be48573b92ec9a582d8688.jpg

G5422T likes this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I will do it and better talk about it then.

Ricochet likes this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Maybe this will help any interested parties.

G5422T, YouFellowRebels and Randy99CL like this.
  14. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Makes me want it a little more

G5422T and Merc like this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve thought about picking up a more affordable guitar this year. Just to leave out and play around my 5 year old instead of the G6228. I’ve been considering the mint green Squire Offset Tele as it leaves the options for lots of mods with the pickup routes (humbucker or P-90 included). DDD56E75-925C-48C6-B4F4-DB9F6BDF32FC.png

But this Squire interests me for the simplicity on the other end of the spectrum. The Sweetwater color combo is killer too.

G5422T, Randy99CL and YouFellowRebels like this.
  16. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Rob must be one of the few people who actually owns a real '58 Esquire and compares it to the Squier in this video:

And I like that they really do sound similar. I've never heard a real Esquire before and am impressed! I think I will grab a cheap Tele copy and mod it.

With the Squier, he's shown that position 1 on the switch sounds quite muddy but changing the capacitor should change the amount of high cut. I don't know enough to recommend a cap value, I'll just experiment.

G5422T and YouFellowRebels like this.
  17. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Electromatic

Apr 5, 2020
    Germany
    The guy who came up with this mod, Mike Eldred of the Fender Custom Shop (hence the name "Eldred Mod"), uses a 4700 pF (0.0047 μF) capacitor.
    If I decide to buy the blue one, I'll definitely try this mod! The treble-roll-off position sounded unusable, too dull and quiet.
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/The_Eldred_Esquire_Wiring
    IMG_20200716_210353.jpg

G5422T and Randy99CL like this.
  18. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I've found a cheap guitar for the Esquire conversion. These from this company get surprisingly good reviews, the quality seems to be way above their price class. I've covered the name for now and when it arrives I'll mod it and report on the result.

OK I ordered one and they say it will ship today with free 2-day shipping. California is not too far away so should be good. I'm looking forward to getting it, NGD is always fun!

Blonde Tele.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  19. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Even the lowest line Squier can usually be turned into a good player by someone with experience. Some of them, like the SE Strats can be turned into absolutely killer player's, i have two of them and would rate them with guitars in the $500.00 range, pretty extensive modding and setup work involved for sure but i can build a pro level instrument outta one of these for around $250.00. As long as you don't mind being seen with a Squier!:D 20200529_173159-1.jpg they are flanking my MIM Roadhouse Deluxe and are just as good.
    The black one is getting Jimi'ized and is still a work in progress. 20200703_193303.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Randy99CL, Merc, G5422T and 1 other person like this.
  20. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Sorry for the derail but to the OP, the CV's ive seen and played were very good outta the box, especially for the price and with a few mod's..........who knows?

Randy99CL, Merc, G5422T and 1 other person like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.