Fender EC Amps

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by freespoken, May 16, 2013.

1. freespoken

freespoken Gretschie

Jul 31, 2011
    New Mexico
    So I tried out 2 Eric Clapton Fender Amps the other day...the vibro-champ and the tremolux. I was surprised that neither one of them did it for me. To me they were muddy/dull. What do you guys think?

2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    You forgot expensive. I agree. I tried a tweed deluxe before they made it an EC model I didn't like that either. And I think the EC model is $1000.00 more.

3. MMike

MMike Gretschie

Nov 3, 2011
    Holland Mich
    I presume the EC Fenders are hand wired / soldered. I believe good components typically used in these amps are a plus, but I don't think the hand made factor translates to a better sound,

4. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    I think that there is an inherent tonality in the tweed Deluxe circuit, which is what you are characterizing as "muddy." Tweeds are not the first choice for a pristine clean sound. The traditional "great Gretsch sound" is bright, clean and clear, and if that is the sound you hear in your head and want to replicate, would probably prefer a blackface Fender amp than a tweed. You would probably prefer a Fender DRRI (which is probably half the cost) over the handwired tweed.

5. freespoken

freespoken Gretschie

Jul 31, 2011
    New Mexico
    I currently have a blues deluxe reissue that i really like for that "clean" sound but have been wanting to try the EC's....they just didn't do it for me.

6. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Country Gent

Jan 22, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Never tried one. Not inclined to do so. I imagine they're either voiced to suit Eric Clapton wannabes (nothing wrong with that if that's yer thing) or they're standard models with a wildly expensive signature and certificate in the instruction book.
    I'm sure they sound fantastic in the right hands.

7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I don't think so. I think the real problem comes from meeting exporting standards. In the early days of fender you had to get one in America, and most likely be on the west coast. Now they ship them all over its just not a real tweed amp. In my experience the fender tweed deluxe reissue sounds dead. I've read they need to be gone over by a good tech to re-bias and set them up properly, and then they sound better. I'm shure Eric doesn't play them off the rack either.

8. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    l bought a EC Twinolux & it's the best amp i've tried or owned... it's not the first or the last boutique i'll ever own...it's definitely a keeper though!!! it's got 3D cleans to die for..has tremolo & attenuation for the same $$$ as the '57 Tweed Twin it replaced!!! everybody who plays it is more than impressed with it's performance.:D

9. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    The prices annoy me. I'm sticking with the BDRI and the '59 Bassman RI.

10. Gotone

Gotone Gretschie

Jan 2, 2012
    Ontario
    +1 on that! I have played thru both the Twinolux and the Tremolux. I agree that the Twinolux is one of the best sounding and versatile amps ever and well worth the price.

I really like the Tremolux too and found it to produce some of the best, grittiest blues tones around. The tone control is extremely versatile and with it cranked to 12, is very capable of producing some nice clean tones. With the volume at 4, it's on the verge of breaking up rather nicely. Switch to the low output and it cleans up considerably. I did discover that the Tremolux definitely favours single coil Strats or Teles, and I imagine anything with P90's would sound absolutely awesome. The Dynas in my White Falcon boom thru this amp, but nevertheless sounds impressive...but no, no sparkling cleans on this one. The tremolo is quite unique too in that it just pulses/throbs...impressive.

I find that both of these amps have there individual strengths and not too many weakness (why oh why does Fender insist on using Groove Tubes!!..Yeah, I know). Construction and quality of components is, with exception of the tubes, high. Whether your ears like hearing what they produce is kinda subjective, based on playing style, guitar, etc. The price is high but in line with what other boutique amps are priced at (I believe my Gretsch Executive was tagged at $2900 when they were still offered).

11. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Twelve? Did you just say TWELVE??? Dagnabbit!

12. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I concur; my favourite pickup! Unless played through a Vox VT whatever, in which case they sound like ploppy, along with every other pickup!

13. Gotone

Gotone Gretschie

Jan 2, 2012
    Ontario
    Yup, LOL!! Volume, Tone, Tremolo all go to 12!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.