Fender Amp Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by colchar, Feb 18, 2021.

1. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario
    I need some amp advice please.

I currently have an AC30 that I am happy with, but would like to add an American voiced amp so am considering Fenders. The ones I am thinking about are:

'65 Deluxe Reverb
    '65 Twin Reverb
    '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
    '68 Custom Twin Reverb

Although I have heard Deluxe Reverbs a thousand times, I have never played around with one outside of a music store. Can anyone give me the pluses and minuses of that amp for a home player who would use pedals for dirt? And can anyone compare/contrast the '65 vs. the '68?

I have owned a '65 Twin and really liked it so would be happy to get another. Can anyone compare/contrast the '65 vs. the '68? I know it is a huge amp for home use, but I like how it sounds at low volume and am used to using big amps at home so the wattage isn't an issue for me.

Right now, the biggest issue for me will likely be price (unless I throw caution to the wind). Last week I spent $1500 on a Strat, so am hoping to keep the cost of this new amp within reason. I will play both it and my AC30 for a while and then decide which one to keep and which one to sell.

Thanks in advance.

2. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I don’t have either, but I have compared Princeton’s and went with the 68 which has become my favorite amp. The 68s are darker and break up sooner. They have celestion speakers and the first channel is a bassman tone stack. I’d say they’re gonna be a little more midrange forward than a 65 and start breaking up at about 4. I know the Princeton and deluxe will, don’t know if a 68 twin will break up that early. I’d go with the deluxe!

colchar likes this.
  3. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario
    I gotta say that the Bassman part is appealing as I also considered used Bassmans (both the original and the LTD) but don't know if A) its volume is controllable or B) if I want to spend that much because even used, they are $1200 (Canadian prices).

pmac11 and Chmason85 like this.
  4. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    65 Deluxe Reverb with a swapped in EVM12L.

MotorCentaur and wabash slim like this.
  5. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    I like Fender amps.

I have a ‘55 Champ, a’65 Showman, a’71 Dual Showman Reverb TFL 5000D, a ‘74 Super Reverb, a ‘78 Champ, a 2001 Woody Bubinga Jr., a 2011 Blues Deluxe RI, a 2014 Limited Edition Deluxe Reverb RI, and an Excelsior.

FWIW, and for what your looking for, I would lean towards a Super Reverb. The four 10” speakers in that size cab, the on- board reverb and tremolo, and the bright switch all contribute to a distinctive and a singular sound.
    It sounds rich at lower volumes and is pick sensitive at higher volumes.

I also have a Vox 50th Anniversary AC15HTVH Heritage Collection with the matching cab that I really enjoy. For me, the Super Reverb offers a nice contrast to my Vox.

L Robbins, T-Bawler, lathoto and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Get a Twin and an ABY switch, and play it in stereo with that AC30.

You're welcome.

stiv, lathoto, LongJohn and 1 other person like this.
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Find a Fender Pro Reverb.

8. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    The bassman channel is really nice! The bass doesn’t flab out either with the celestion speakers. I run my Princeton with the bass and treble dimed and just control the tone with the guitar or boost pedal tone knob, sounds amazing that way. The sweet spot for the Princeton and deluxe in my opinion is around 5-6 for really nice breakup but still clear and fat.

colchar likes this.
  9. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

65 Deluxe Reverb is a very easy amp to play, and takes pedals well. A classic setup is a DR and a TS9 tube screamer. I used to use a Rat pedal with mine, and did plenty of gigs with that rig.

Chmason85 and colchar like this.
  10. Personal Gsus

Personal Gsus Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Atlanta
    This may be sacrilege, but for "home" playing, I use the new Mustang GTX 100. It's awesome. I've got an AC30, a Twin Reverb and a Bassman, and the Mustang is BY FAR my favorite to play at home. Really sounds fantastic - Any classic Fender amp/cab/effect combo you could ever want, it includes a 7 button footswitch – and it's infinitely customizable. Also, @100W, it's more than loud enough for small clubs. *Plus headphone jack for when the little ones are sleeping, AND both USB and stereo XLR out for home recording. Only $599.00. It checks all the boxes.

T-Bawler, Randy99CL and LongJohn like this.
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The 68 Custom Deluxe is awesome.
    The two channels have different tones. The Vibrato channel sounds like a great Deluxe reverb, and the first channel has a “bass man” tone stack so it’s a little fatter.
    I love single coils through the 1st, and my Filtertrons through the Vibrato.
    Reverb and Trem work for both channels.

Chmason85 and colchar like this.
  12. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I can only speak to vintage Blackfaces, they are the Shiz'. I run a stereo pair, Twin Reverb on the left, Deluxe Reverb on the right, both loaded with EV SRO 12"s. All I can say is you cant go wrong. The cleans are unparalleled, and they'll take whatever mangled signal thrown at them without breaking a sweat.

The Twin definitely has more headroom, overall punch, bass and mids. The Deluxe a kind of sweetness, and a tactile compression and push when driven into breakup.

Ultimately youll just have to judge for yourself. Book an appointment with Guitar Center, Long and Mcquaide, whatever music store has what your interested in, bring your Vox and your main guitar, go down there crank it up, see who survives.

lathoto and colchar like this.
  13. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario

I'm a regular at my local store, and have several friends who work there so if they were open I could go in to test anything I wanted. Hell, they didn't even get mad when I dropped a $2500 Firebird that ended up with a big chink out of it and damaged the Orange amp that it landed on before hitting the floor.

Unfortunately, due to Covid lockdowns I cannot go into stores to test drive amps right now.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  14. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario
    I spoke to the manager at my local store today.

I can get a '65 Twin for just under $900. There is a '65 Deluxe and three '68 Deluxes available for the same price as the Twin, but they are all across the country so I would have to pay some shipping charges. Funnily enough, the Twin is available at a store about 20 minutes from me so I could simply go pick it up.

Rmccamey, MotorCentaur and Chmason85 like this.
  15. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I vote 68 Deluxe still, but I like smaller amps to crank up! I guess the Twin is the way to go if you need a lot of clean headroom but I never do

16. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    The Twin for the WIN!!!

But seriously, you can't get a better clean, and they can be as loud as a Marshall 100.

Chmason85 likes this.
  17. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario
    I should also have mentioned that I will be using pedals for dirt. I couldn't get a Deluxe up loud enough to break up at home without pissing off other people, so I would use pedals. And as everyone knows, Twins don't ever break up so pedals are a necessity for dirt.

18. Rusty Silver

Rusty Silver Gretschie

I've only played a Fender Bassman reissue and it's wonderful.

colchar likes this.
  19. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Twin for the win! Don't forget that pair of EV's to put you over the top...

colchar likes this.
  20. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Not to be picky but the GTX100 is only $500US, a steal. (Edit: were you quoting Canadian?) And I agree 100% with what you wrote, I feel lucky that I'm new to guitar and haven't bought any pedals. 14 months ago I bought my first amp, a Mustang LT-25 and it is perfect for home use, I use it every day. I like it so much that I bought the GTX100 a few months ago to prepare for when I can play some open-mic nights.

When I see threads like this one I wonder how the GTX100 sounds compared to the Fender tube amps that cost so much more. Like how does the Bassman preset sound compared to a real Bassman??

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021 at 5:51 AM
    T-Bawler likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.