Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
A Deluxe is not obnoxiously loud, but it’s probably marginal for apartment use. The Princeton has a different type of phase inverter and this accounts for the lower wattage, although both have a pair of 6V6s.

The ‘68 Custom series, as mentioned before, have a different tone stack. It’s actually very similar to the tone stack on a Super Reverb, which is a great sounding amp, with warm mids. I have a ‘68 CDR which sounds good, but probably could use a better speaker. It’s a bit flatulent if you dig into the lower notes, which I blame entirely on the speaker. Other than that, it’s a great sounding amp.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
A Deluxe is not obnoxiously loud, but it’s probably marginal for apartment use. The Princeton has a different type of phase inverter and this accounts for the lower wattage, although both have a pair of 6V6s.

The ‘68 Custom series, as mentioned before, have a different tone stack. It’s actually very similar to the tone stack on a Super Reverb, which is a great sounding amp, with warm mids. I have a ‘68 CDR which sounds good, but probably could use a better speaker. It’s a bit flatulent if you dig into the lower notes, which I blame entirely on the speaker. Other than that, it’s a great sounding amp.

Thanks for opining.

It's like a Bassman with reverb and tremolo?

upload_2022-1-25_1-16-58.jpeg

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Thanks for opining.

It's like a Bassman with reverb and tremolo?

View attachment 174298
That’s one of the interesting nooks in the Fender line. I was perusing some schematics one day, which is a strange way to pass the time, but I realized that my ‘68 CDR actually had a lot in common with the Super Reverb. Now, the Super Reverb is a study in and of itself. It’s a 4x10 Blackface, but the tone stack uses a bigger cap for midrange and the result is a really pleasing sound; which is exactly the same sound I could hear in the ‘68 CDR, and exactly why I bought it.

I’m not sure what inspired Leo to come out with the Super Reverb, but there is an obvious tie to the duly famed ‘59 Bassman, given that both use a 4x10 speaker array. They are a wonderful sounding amp, but both heavy and cumbersome. I recall playing one when I was 17 and being blown away by the sound, but one test lift of the amp changed my mind forever. You need a team of sherpas to help you move it. :)

There is a dream, in my mind, of a large music room, perhaps 500 to 600 square feet in area, and I would love to have every amp imaginable lining the walls of that room. I would want both a ‘59 Bassman and a Super Reverb in that room.

These are amps that need to breathe and are at their best when singing at volume. The Custom series Fenders actually allow the same sounds to be produced in more realistic circumstances.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
They are a wonderful sounding amp, but both heavy and cumbersome. I recall playing one when I was 17 and being blown away by the sound, but one test lift of the amp changed my mind forever. You need a team of sherpas to help you move it. :)

On all counts, so is a VOX AC30 with 2, 12" Celestion Blue alnicos, which is 5 lbs. heavier than a Fender Super Reverb.
Regards.

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
On all counts, so is a VOX AC30 with 2, 12" Celestion Blue alnicos, which is 5 lbs. heavier than a Fender Super Reverb.
Regards.
At least an AC-30 has more than one handle. I love the Super Reverb, but they are an ergonomic mess.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
At least an AC-30 has more than one handle. I love the Super Reverb, but they are an ergonomic mess.

I concede to you on the AC30 handles. I tried a reissue Super Reverb years ago. Very nice but I'm sure that its fresh-out-of-the-box stiffness did not do it justice (e.g. it probably need some initial breaking-in).

It's funny how these amps feel heavier to me than when I first started playing, 37+ years ago. ;)

Last edited:

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I concede to you on the AC30 handles. I tried a reissue Super Reverb years ago. Very nice but I'm sure that its fresh-out-of-the-box stiffness did not do it justice (e.g. it probably need some initial breaking-in).

It's funny how these amp feel heavier to me than when I first started playing, 37+ years ago. ;)
Must be a gravity fluctuation. I have the same problem here. :)