Fender '65 Princeton Reverb 1x12" 15-watt Tube Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by freddyfingers, Apr 3, 2021.

1. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Tweed Princeton with a 12 inch EVM12L. Don't turn it up past three. Just sayin'...

2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    How about a Blues Junior?

Archtops likes this.
  3. The few i have played didnt overwhelm me. Although i have seen much better musicians than me use them and get great results, the ones i played were ok, but not enough to get one. I believe they are more like a mini hotrod amp with the gain built in. The clean channels on hot rods are decent, but i dont get along with the fender version of gain.

pmac11 likes this.
  4. I’m looking it up. Didnt see any that come stock.

5. bluesintheblood

bluesintheblood Electromatic

Jan 17, 2021
    Saskatchewan
    I beleive the only difference in those other models with various cab covereings is the speaker, everything of the guts is all the same.

freddyfingers likes this.
  6. So i had a slight bit of time this afternoon. The G5034 i recently converted to electric acoustic had acoustic strings on it which work great with the new bridge. But not so great with the neck pickup. So i went back to electric strings. Which woke that pickup back up. Lost a tad of acoustic ness, but not enough to cry. Used the brain into the tonemaster. I remembered it had the ability to pretend lower the wattage, so i turned it down a few notches and turned up the volume. Engaged brain and it worked. Sounded more like it should. Tried my Guild X350, which has the new Franz P90 type. They both had that bite. It seems that the tonemaster acted like a 80 watt tube twin. Wouldn’t budge. But at a lower wattage setting it did. Turn the volume up and away i go. So it’s doable . Its not the same as the tube amps i had, but it just may have saved me 800 to 1099 for a new Princeton. Plus it weighs less. So i think i am pacified for now until something else triggers. So now i can focus on more guitars instead of another amp.

Thank you to all that chimed in. As Emily Latella said, “Never mind”

7. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
  8. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    I own a 65 PRRI. It is 12 watts and has a 12” Jensen speaker. It is a great amp but is all clean all the time.
    Was at my buddy’s house yesterday and played on his 68 PRRI with the 10”. His broke up at about 4 and was the a treat.
    I think I bought the wrong Princeton for me but the right Princeton for a lot of people.

Chmason85 likes this.
  9. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    These small Marshall amps sound excellent and break up nicely.
    Marshall DSL20CR 1x12" 20-watt Tube Combo Amp
    5D5DC569-17FF-4364-A576-4DF568C5A6C6.jpeg

10. I would think with something like a brain in front of it, you could get a bit of grit. I would rather have a little headroom, then not enough when needed.

Viking Power likes this.
  11. Those showed up under comparable amps. Never saw one in person.

12. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    It takes distortion, overdrive, and fuzz pedals well just zero breakup on its own.

13. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    Hi Freddie, A couple of years ago I bought one of the FSR tweed Princeton Reverbs from Sweetwater. I loved everything about it, especially the hemp cone 12" speaker. Unfortunately, I sold it. More than once I have thought of buying another. But, I pretty much have it covered with a Victoria Vicky Verb. Go ahead and buy it. You won't be sorry.

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Freddy, on the 68 Custom PR that I had, I installed the 12" the way they used to back in the day. I took the amp apart, removed the baffle board and screwed it down right over the 10" hole with wood screws. I had to cut a small piece out of the baffle board bracing with a Dremel but it was no big thing. I installed an Emi 1258 Legend and if I a/b it with an extension cab I had with the same speaker, there was no sonic difference at all.

It was a pretty great-sounding amp as it uses the "Bassman" tone stack that Fender made for the 68 DR left channel.

People have been installing 12" speakers into PRs like that for decades.

new6659 and freddyfingers like this.
  15. I might be able to do that with minimal injury to myself.

Tony65x55 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.