Favourite guitar tones -

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by dlew919, May 20, 2020.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    So, whose tone do you like? Do you like clean sounds? Andy summers? Nile Rogers? Overdriven? Distorted? The edge? Jeff Beck? Chet? Setzer? Who’s your favourite tones and why?

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  2. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Mid-fifties Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, and Scotty Moore, oddly enough on Elvis's early RCA sides.

Gregor and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I like vintage Marshall-heavy-crunch.
    For classic rock music nothing records better in my book.

When dialed in correctly it does not interfere with the bassist, has a certain openness (because of relatively strong and uncompressed mids) and cutting heights.
    For my ears it occupies just the right space in the tonal spectrum of a band-mix.

Although these rock-guitarists don`t have much in common they share this special basic sonic signature:
    AC/DCs Malcolm and Angus Young, early Van Halen, Richie Blackmore, Michael Schenker, Steve Stevens, Paul Kossoff...

TheMicster, ALS57, Merc and 2 others like this.
  4. pmarinovich

pmarinovich Electromatic

Nov 17, 2018
    Louisiana
    Great question. So often I see guitarists with terrible tone idolized as if no one actually cares about tone...Tommy Emmanuel comes to mind. He plays his ass off, but I can't stand to listen past all the fret buzz and tin can sounding tone.

For me it's genre specific. In rock I love Eric Johnson's tone. He clearly put a ton of work developing his patented sound. Heck, he made an album called Tones.

In Jazz I like Earl Klugh and Martin Taylor. I also love guys who really stretch out to find uniques sounds....like Tuck Andress using bass guitar pickups on an L5 and playing through the board.

5. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Setzer
    Gilmour
    Angus&Malcolm
    Gallup
    Moore
    SRV
    Johnny Thunders

Merc and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Santana
    Albert Collins
    Andy Summers
    Ritchie Blackmore
    Nile Rogers
    Al Mc Kay
    Steeve Cropper
    Chuck Berry

Oh, and these guitar tones here :

And so-so-so many more !

Well, exclude Heavy Rock and Metal, please...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

7. afire

afire Country Gent

George Harrison's Duo Jet tone on the "Please Please Me" album, and his Country Gentleman tone on the "With The Beatles" album. Those are the twin apexes of Gretsch tone to me. I can think of plenty of players that inspire me, but not that many tones. I guess maybe Cliff Gallup and Scotty Moore might be a couple of others.

8. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    For me it has to be Marco Pironi from Adam and the Ants. This was the sound that hooked me on Gretsch. Unfortunately he didn't like the guitar so rarely used it live, hen ce the Les Paul in the video. But that sound is unmistakeable.

After that then I'd have to go with:
    Setzer
    Cliff Gallup
    Eddie Cochran

9. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Bright, slightly distorted with delay. This song first comes to mind as my ultimate guitar sound (never achieved it myself though):

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    For years I had a part of a song stuck in my head. Whenever I imagined a soaring guitar tone that was perfect, this bit popped into mind. I had no idea what song it came from. Then I saw Roger Waters in concert 3 years ago and there it was. The second solo in Dogs. (Of course played by David Gilmour in the original.) I probably hadn't played the album Animals in many years but obviously it stuck with me. In fact the whole song is a tutorial on how to sound great on the guitar. Amazing tones throughout.

Listen starting at 3:40

Here's a live version from 1977. The solo starts at 3:55

PS Speaking of David Gilmour, I haven't seen armygirl/Martine around here in awhile.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  11. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Easy
    Mid 80’s Poison Ivy

Classic Link Wray

Bo

12. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Gretschie

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    No one's mentioned Mark Knopfler yet.
    Also worthy of mention, Peter Green, Hank Marvin, Duane Eddy.
    All distinctive tones.

section2, Merc, Gregor and 3 others like this.
  13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    The intro to House of the Rising Sun (and George from the same time period) is my favorite Gretsch tone.

Gregor and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  14. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    For me it's
    Brad Paisley on both clean and break up
    Chris Cheney for everything
    Jerry Horton for distortion
    Brian Setzer
    Ian D'Sa for distorion
    Danny Gatton
    Josh Smith

All though I don't listen to them much I also like Mark Knopfler, Carlos Santana, Joe Walsh and John Mayer.

Merc likes this.
  15. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Gretschie

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    Oh, Brad Paisley, yes.
    But why does he have to switch guitars for virtually every number? They're all Teles!

16. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I have many favorites for the many different styles & feels that click w/ me. Too many great ones to try to list them all...

What immediately popped to mind when I read the thread title falls in the searing fuzz lead tone category if you will from J Mascis on this cover of Maggot Brain he did w/ Mike Watt:

For my money he comes really close to out Hazel-ing Eddie Hazel on the original. Both J & Eddie are right up my alley on most things they've played on in general.

Another specific instance of outstanding tone for me is Gilmour on the 1st disc of Umma Gumma . I'd put those sounds right up front in the moody/spooky atmospheric section of my brain's card catalog of tones (probably close runner up for me from him is just about any track on Meddle, but they're a bit more scattered out across the catalog of styles). Close by in this section are most of Thurston Moore & Lee Renaldo's tones during the Wharton Tiers/SST era.

Just about any Eddie Kramer Hendrix is just about perfect for the songs IMO as well (although that's kind of meaningless statement I guess when you think about it long enough).

17. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I have many, of course, which is why I started this - I've loved every single choice and opinion (even the ones I haven't agreed with, but still, great discussions!)

I started this because I heard U2's 'Still haven't found what I'm looking for', and realised that the Edge's tone (not playing, though that is great) is magnificent! So, my favourite tones, apart from the Edge (because I already mentioned him)...

Brian May - Procession, Brighton Rock, Hammer to Fall, Good Company (where the guitar is made to sound like a trad jazz band)

Mike Stern - Trip, Gossip,

Prince: Kiss, Purple Rain solo, While My Guitar Gently Weeps (the live one - you know the one)

Eric Clapton: Let it rain, I shot the Sherriff, Bad Love, Cream Farewell concert

Nile Rogers: Get Lucky, Celebrate,

James Burton - all of the Elvis stuff

Brian Setzer - how to Gretsch...

George Harrison - How to Gretsch, how to Strat, how to Tele

Bill Frisell... everything

Danny Gatton - that warm break up he gets on a dozen tracks...

David Gilmour - Another Brick in the Wall, Shine on you crazy diamond

So many, many, many more...

18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lol yeah so true, the guy has like 90 guitars, I have been meaning to buy a copy of his book as it's meant to be a good read but haven't got around to ordering it.

Gibbsy likes this.
  19. Gibbsy

Gibbsy Gretschie

May 6, 2020
    London, UK
    Oh, must add Roy Buchanan.

new6659 and Stefan87 like this.
  20. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Pete Townshend's 6120 tones on "Who's Next"

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.